Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2008, 04:21 AM   #16
wheelgun
Not a wannabe..a usetobe

Oddometer: 101
Love mine. One of the most dependable bikes I've owned, and I've had close to 40. She's easy. I let everyone ride it. Not to mention you can climb a tree with the 23 inch front tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiQFvVXtqV0

wheelgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #17
bpg OP
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feo y Gordo
If it's a '78, it's an XL250S.

16 inch laydown shocks, carb w/ an accelerator pump? An "S".

I have an '81. Geared low, it's a trail tractor. I can idle along in first through thick brush using alternating hands to move limbs and vines out of the way. No feathering the clutch or working the throttle. Just move stuff and steer through.
Yip, this thing has a HUGE rear sprocket, geared for hill climbs by the owner's brother. Some of my potential riding is just as you mentioned - farting around in thick brush, 1st/2nd gear stuff in the tight woods. Opposite end of the riding spectrum from supercross, LOL!

As mentioned earlier, the brake light, signals, and horn need a good, charged battery to work. They're DC, the headlight is AC. The last battery I bought was about 18 bucks, IIRC.
6VDC then? Man, I don't know if I even have one laying around to check it with; I'll just try to charge the battery that's in it...

Carb needs to be clean, valves adjusted, and it should start with less than four kicks. Cold. Mine gets started regularly, and it's 1 or 2 kicks, cold or hot.
Yip, about what I was thinking.

Fork seals are available, dunno about anything internal to the forks. Ebay. They only seem to be readily interchangable with the 78-81 XL250S and 500S's. Maybe the same years XR's.
OK, thx. I know I'll need to tear both forks down to see what I have before I decide to swap vs rebuild forks... FWIW, I do know they leaked a lot when I rode it a fw years ago, porbably just pumped dry, LOL!

Rear shocks were marginal when they were new. Most I've seen only have one shock of the pair with any damping, and not much of that. Your choices are Hagons from Dave Quinn for around 200 bucks or Works Performance for around 400.
Hmm, will have to look into that...

Not much good to be said about the brakes. The less you weigh, the better. My 200 lbs produces some sphincter-tightening moments in Houston traffic.
Gotcha! At 180 geared, I'm a little safer. I'll have to try them out again this afternoon on a steep trail to see.

How's the exhaust? Most of them around here have rotted out mufflers. Mine came with a Supertrapp that cost the PO 150 bucks. I have the loudest lawnmower on the block.
Sounds awesome, but yeah, rotted pretty well. Forgot to mention that...

Dunno, how much wrenching can you do yourself? Mine is fun, but it is what it is, and it'll prolly never be more.(I have a KDX200 front end w/disc brake I'm eying to adapt, but it won't be simple.)
I enjoy wrenching on anything worth wrenching on, hence this thread... I'd love to get the thing workng well (within its self-imposed limits), and weld up a rear sub-frame for tossing some camping gear on... And I have to admit, there is something cool about reliable vintage bikes that still bring a huge smile to my face.

PM if you've got any more questions.

Mark.
f
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #18
bpg OP
Off Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgun
Love mine. One of the most dependable bikes I've owned, and I've had close to 40. She's easy. I let everyone ride it. Not to mention you can climb a tree with the 23 inch front tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiQFvVXtqV0

dammit, your pics and vids are making me sway toward this money-pit even more!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

Old 10-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #19
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg
dammit, your pics and vids are making me sway toward this money-pit even more!
Awww, fukit! I take back my first comment. Get it and have fun. Just don't think about making any money on it. Those old Hondas are a hoot. I've found parts pretty easy for my XL350 and 175 scrambler thanks to the interwebs.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,316
Hey,

I tell you what, if you get it back here and deceide you don't want it let me know I will give you you money back for it. I'm looking for a bike that my son and I can wrench on. He is 10 now but if we do things right he could have an excellent vintage bike.

Ray
Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #21
wheelgun
Not a wannabe..a usetobe

I might be able to point you in the direction for a decent exhaust, too. The guys are right. You won't make any cash on the deal. I paid $450 for mine. The guy wanted $600. Some would consider $450 too much, but she ran well, always starts and is pretty stock. You won't do any motocross with it, but its a good single track bike and a decent in-town commuter. I live at 8,600 ft. asl, so mine is a little gutless. I can't adjust the ring for jetting, so I'm trying to find out what I need to fix the situation.

Anyway, for a hundred bucks.......come on. Even when you upgrade she'll be a reliable back up.

Post some pics!!!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #22
ruh roh
hey Yall

Oddometer: 296
Heres my 78 xl125, I paid $50 for it with the engine in a box. Some kid started to fix it and never did, so his momma wanted it out of the garage. Ive had it about 10+ years.

*edit* - You are feeling sleeeepy, SleeeeEEEEpy. Send me his phone number. Sleeeeeppppy*

Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #23
wheelgun
Not a wannabe..a usetobe

Wink

That looks like a fun scoot!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm not hating on Beemers or anything, but the ride reports that I read are when folks piece together an oldie. I love vintage!
Old 10-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #24
bpg OP
Off Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgun
That looks like a fun scoot!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm not hating on Beemers or anything, but the ride reports that I read are when folks piece together an oldie. I love vintage!
Well, look for my upcoming reports, she's strapped to my cage and heading home w/ me this afternoon!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

Old 10-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #25
wheelgun
Not a wannabe..a usetobe

YES!!!! Post pics!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #26
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I was gifted a free 81 Honda CB900C that was borderline basketcase material. It cost me $1000 to go through it, carb kits, tires, brakes, voltage regulator, stator, battery and misc parts. I rode it a season, decided I liked street bikes, sold it for $900 and got something else.

Morale of the story: The XL is doable but you won't make any money off of it. Just ride it and enjoy.
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #27
bpg OP
Off Trail

Yip, I'm leaning on just investing enough to keep it semi-safe and using it as a cheapo learner/spare bike - couldn't ask for an easier to ride dirt bike, or a street-bike that's easier to watch crashing onto pavement, LOL!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

Old 10-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #28
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Dude - a hundred bucks is nothing! Get the thing and have fun! Fix what you can yourself without putting money in it. Let it be a practice bike for workind on carbs etc.

If you get pulled over and don't have a title give the bike to the cop and walk away! It's only a hundred bucks ... you'd have to pay that to rent a scooter 3X at ones of those resort places.

Heck - try adjusting the valves. If you succeed great! If not - you got some education and it was only a hundred bucks.

Sure it could be a money pit - just don't make it one. You already said it's fun to ride when you get it started. I bet in the right town you could easily get your 100 bucks back by building a cool jump on a dock and jumping it into a lake! Heck then you could get another $35 dollars by dredging it out and selling it for scrap!

Sorry - just having fun with ya! My only point is, if you buy it don't think you are responsible to fix it up, restore it or that you can't buy a "real" bike later cuz you already spent a 100 dollars.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #29
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
OK - here's another idea to justify $100.

Compared to the average SUV you save $100 in gas every 400 miles of driving.

Airline flights are really cheap one ways now a days - about the same as gas in an SUV.

Next time you are visiting family or on business in a place aprox 400 miles away take the bike instead of the SUV. Use the bike for transpo while you are there and when you leave drive it to the airport, leave it in the parking garage and fly home. (At this point you'll be glad you don't have the title in your name.)

With any luck, 6 mos later if you have to go back to that same town the bike might still be there and you can fly in and get around on it. (Of course this wont work if your a heavy packer :) )

Of (a little bit of risk and faith in humanity involved) - you could park it in a place with a tin can to hold some money. Lock it up with a combination lock. You could put a sign on it "$10 a day for transpo". Then have your phone number. They call you - give you a card # and you give them the combination. (Forget the tin can - I wasn't thinking) When they are done they lock it up again. If they screw you, you've only lost $90 dollars. If they sue you you disavow the whole thing - remember the title is not in your name.
With any luck you'll get a customer a day and in 3 mos you'll have made $800. Heck with a crappy seat, people might take it back after an hour and you could potentially get 3 customers a day.

If you think about it your business would be saving lots of gas, encouraging other business men to travel, and making the world a greener, better place to be. All because of an old XL250!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #30
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,115
Totally worth 100 bucks. You could part it out and make money on it, but thats a VERY BIG NO NO with old hondas! Havent played much with a 250S but I did have a 500S for a while- very fun bike. Lots of parts available at the dealer still, just be prepared to pay $$$. Another site for you to check out: www.oldrice.com and look up the XL board. LOTS of good info.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote