Old 10-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #16
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
(B)itch (M)oan (W)hine....

Looks like you fit right in!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029
I picked up the bike yesterday, and only have 120 miles on her BUT my initial impression is that the OBC and tire pressure monitor are not accurate based I what I would expect based on what BMW charged for these items.

I topped off my tank last night and the OBC showed that I was getting 70-80mpg but I only had a range of 169 miles.

BMW should state what the torrerances for accuracy for these guages are suppose to be, +/- 10-20% is just not acceptable to me.

Can the dealer re-calibrate these guages?

the salesman during his explaination of how things worked last evening showed me the air pressure. He then rolled the bike back into the service area and asked the mechanics to adjust the pressure. The mechanic said that they put three air pressure guages on the tires and that the tire pressure guage on the bike was way off.

Sure is fun owning one of the Legendary Bikes from BMW.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #17
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,294
Quote:
I picked up the bike yesterday, and only have 120 miles on her BUT my initial impression is that the OBC and tire pressure monitor are not accurate based I what I would expect based on what BMW charged for these items.

I topped off my tank last night and the OBC showed that I was getting 70-80mpg but I only had a range of 169 miles.

BMW should state what the torrerances for accuracy for these guages are suppose to be, +/- 10-20% is just not acceptable to me.

Can the dealer re-calibrate these guages?

the salesman during his explaination of how things worked last evening showed me the air pressure. He then rolled the bike back into the service area and asked the mechanics to adjust the pressure. The mechanic said that they put three air pressure guages on the tires and that the tire pressure guage on the bike was way off.

The fuel calculations are something that improves as the computer learns, at least thats what I was told, so you have to run a few tanks of gas through it before it gets super accurate.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #18
Nemesis
just ride the damn thing

Oddometer: 420
Quote:

The tire pressure monitor does NOT display unless the bike is being ridden. Were you riding bitch, looking over his shoulder?? How did the salesman show you??

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats " - H. L. Mencken
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Laugh Ahh The Rider's Manual has the secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama
The fuel calculations are something that improves as the computer learns, at least thats what I was told, so you have to run a few tanks of gas through it before it gets super accurate.
I decided the read the Rider's Manual, guess what...it has the answer to my questions. Each of the read outs can be reset by simply holding the "info" button. I have cleared out the registers and will start fresh and see how the OBC performs.

The Tire presure can be reset as well but only registers after reaching 20mph.

The 154 page Rider's Manual has lots of interesting information. I highly recommend reading it, I learned a few new things, and this is my 15th new BMW bike.

Thanks for your assistance.
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #20
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
If you look closely I think you will probably see a ">" sign in front of the 169 miles....

Like: >169 this means the computer does not know how many miles you can REALLY go, but that it is "GREATER THAN" 169....

Due to the design of the gas tank (lots of volume in the top few vertical inches) the computer can't get a solid number until you burn off some fuel...

I can't comment on the tire pressure monitor, I wanted it but didn't want to wait an extra 3 months... to get a bike that had it..........

FWIW I wanted it as it would alert me to a sudden loss of pressure while riding ... which I thought was a good safety feature ... you've got that at least for only $250 ... less than the cost of one ambulance ride?

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 AM   #21
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Snipe....

I can't comment on the tire pressure monitor, I wanted it but didn't want to wait an extra 3 months... to get a bike that had it..........

FWIW I wanted it as it would alert me to a sudden loss of pressure while riding ... which I thought was a good safety feature ... you've got that at least for only $250 ... less than the cost of one ambulance ride?

Jim
My local dealer spec. all his bikes with approx $1,900+ of Factory installed options which included the TPC. I have been riding M/C for a while and have accumulated a little over 1 million miles on bikes, mostly BMW, and have never needed or wanted a TPC. IMHO it is just one more thing that can break. I regularly check the tires with a hand held guage and replace the tires when the wear bars indicated. I feel that this was $250 that could have been better spent on engine guards, etc.

I wish I could sell you mine
Old 10-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #22
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Dave,

I believe it was your decision, at the time you purchased your particular bike, to either buy it with the TPC and other options, order what you specifically wanted or go to another dealer. It was your decision and you chose to buy it the way it was "loaded"! Live with it, dude. Just think, you would have spent that 250.00 on some other meaningless farkle anyway!! Enjoy the bike and if you want to flame your dealer for your purchase decision, start a new thread somewhere else!

Rick

Quote:
My local dealer spec. all his bikes with approx $1,900+ of Factory installed options which included the TPC. I have been riding M/C for a while and have accumulated a little over 1 million miles on bikes, mostly BMW, and have never needed or wanted a TPC. IMHO it is just one more thing that can break. I regularly check the tires with a hand held guage and replace the tires when the wear bars indicated. I feel that this was $250 that could have been better spent on engine guards, etc.

I wish I could sell you mine
Old 10-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #23
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Talking My Dealer is a great guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCExaminer
Dave,

I believe it was your decision, at the time you purchased your particular bike, to either buy it with the TPC and other options, order what you specifically wanted or go to another dealer. It was your decision and you chose to buy it the way it was "loaded"! Live with it, dude. Just think, you would have spent that 250.00 on some other meaningless farkle anyway!! Enjoy the bike and if you want to flame your dealer for your purchase decision, start a new thread somewhere else!

Rick
If Garmin sold a GPS that was +/- 10% accurate would that be OK? Why accept less from BMW?

Are the TPC and OBC accurate? NO!

I am very happy with my dealer, and I willingly accepted buying the bike the way the dealer ordered it. The POINT is if BMW sells a FACTORY installed option then it should work accurately. Accurately to me would <2% +/- The two factory options that I paid extra for do not appear to be working accurately. They appear > +/- 10% .

Since I paid extra of these options I beleive that I should be able to obtain accurate information, if not the guage provides no useful purpose and i did not get what I paid for.

I hope there is a software fix available to make these guages accurate.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:55 AM   #24
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

You might as well throw in Speedo accuracy while you're at it!!

Quote:
If Garmin sold a GPS that was +/- 10% accurate would that be OK? Why accept less from BMW?

Are the TPC and OBC accurate? NO!

I am very happy with my dealer, and I willingly accepted buying the bike the way the dealer ordered it. The POINT is if BMW sells a FACTORY installed option then it should work accurately. Accurately to me would <2% +/- The two factory options that I paid extra for do not appear to be working accurately. They appear > +/- 10% .

Since I paid extra of these options I beleive that I should be able to obtain accurate information, if not the guage provides no useful purpose and i did not get what I paid for.

I hope there is a software fix available to make these guages accurate.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #25
Daytona_Rider
You should be racing

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
I decided the read the Rider's Manual, guess what...it has the answer to my questions. Each of the read outs can be reset by simply holding the "info" button. I have cleared out the registers and will start fresh and see how the OBC performs.

The Tire presure can be reset as well but only registers after reaching 20mph.

The 154 page Rider's Manual has lots of interesting information. I highly recommend reading it, I learned a few new things, and this is my 15th new BMW bike.

Thanks for your assistance.
I didn't find it too cool that the "techs" didn't realize this as well... especially since the TPM on all the BMW's works in a similar manner (I mean needs to be moving to be acurate).

Even so, the TPM isn't 100 percent accurate at all times... My GSADV seems to read about 3-4 pounds low.

I just like it to have peace of mind that there's no rapid decompression going on.

Cheers
DR
AFM #993 Come out and support the sport of motorcyling; attend an AFM Race Weekend!

Death Valley Ride(s) Rock

Dennis Carner Memorial Ride

Death Valley Video

1991 Honda NC30 (Racing sweetness) #993
2007 R1200GS Adventure: King of the World IMHO
Daytona_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #26
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_Rider
snipe...
Even so, the TPM isn't 100 percent accurate at all times... My GSADV seems to read about 3-4 pounds low.

...snipe

Cheers
DR
3-4 pounds = 10 to 12% ERROR...looks like your guage is also not accurate
Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #27
berkly OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
You guys realize the title of this thread reads f800gs? The 800 doesn't have a tire pressure monitor. I'm still satisfied with the accuracy of the obc
berkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:05 AM   #28
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,076
My OBC runs low on the MPG side. On the GS, GT and the ST I never let it get down past 30 miles left, hold over from the old days, don't like dragging things up from the bottom of the tank.

As for fuel economy, the last time I filled up after flogging her on the twisties for 170 miles (BRP, 130, 501 and VA 56 - steep twisty stuff), topping it off at 3.1 gallons at 171 miles - 55 MPG - the OBC was saying it was at 50.

Interesting datapoint, my wife was with me on the ST, she got over 60 mpg at that fill up. She doesn't keep it wound out like I do and she is lighter but I also have hit 70 mpg on the ST, which I attribute to the drive train.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote