ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2004, 02:56 PM   #16
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,278
Back in the good ole days

Back in the late 70s, my then girl friend (and now wife) and I used to jump on our bikes ('72 Norton Commando, '74 Sportster) and ride down from Blacksburg and have dinner and a couple of beers at the New Floyd Cafe.Then we'd stop and load up the saddlebags on her Sporty with beer and ice and ride the the BRP from Floyd to Roanoke, or south to Fancy Gap. We always went on full moon nights, and we could ride most of the way with out turning on our headlights. Up there after midnight, there was never anyone else out. We'd pull into the overlooks and drink a few, and makeout some.
Of course, now the government has stepped in and stopped us from hurting ourselves by mandating that the headlights don't even have off switches any more.
Our biggest fear was running headlong into someone else as crazy as us.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:59 PM   #17
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,553
Or deer...

What other roads do you know that are good in the Blacksburg area? I am stumbling on good ones myself every time I look, but some local knowledge would be appreciated even if it is dated.....
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:16 PM   #18
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12RSSteve
Or deer...

What other roads do you know that are good in the Blacksburg area? I am stumbling on good ones myself every time I look, but some local knowledge would be appreciated even if it is dated.....
Dude! The stories I could tell...

I spent 7 years in B-Burg! I was on a bicycle for most of it, but there's LOTS and LOTS of fun riding around Bleaksburg.

IIRC I still have a Bicyclist's Map of the area. I may be able to rattle off some names/numbers. The "Bender Loop" was one of my favorites. It may be a little short on a motorcycle, but its beautiful riding.

Lemme see if I can't find that map (and remember the name of the road where I used to live!) that way I can get you directions.

M
Old 08-03-2004, 03:16 PM   #19
norton73
drinkin'

Deer didn't seem to be a problem back then. Now I can't even pull down the driveway without having to shoo them out of the way.
I'm sure you have discovered rt42, both north and south of B'burg is good, and of course 311 north out of Salem.
I used to work at Gio's Cycle Sales in Roanoke, and rode from B'burg down through Ellot (sp?) Valley all the time. Start just off of south Main across from the 7-11 and go past the pizza place, and explore all the roads down there.
Mt Tabor off of North Main used to be fun. You should be able to find some forest service roads going off Mt Tabor over Brush Mtn. I used to ride my Ducati Scrambler out there a lot, but I'm not sure I could tell you what might still be good, development and all.
Floyd county used to be great, one stop light in the whole county, and only a couple of sherrifs. Every road over there was great riding.
Rt 100 out of Pearis burg to Dublin was fun. Or try Rt61 along Wolf Creek up to Burke's Garden.
16 from Tazwell to Marion used to be fun, and don't forget 58 around mt Rogers to Bristol, a long version of Deal's Gap.
Get out the Delorme map book and look for sqiggly lines, that's how I'm finding my way around here.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:19 PM   #20
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Phew good, done most of those. Ellet Gap is my daily commute the back way from Christiansburg to Blacksburg....

58 around Mt. Rogers is a blast!

I'll keep looking.....
Old 08-03-2004, 03:25 PM   #21
norton73
drinkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMike
Dude! The stories I could tell...

M
Anther time I went riding with another young lady that had a old HD 45. We went down the BRP for a while, and she got a little ahead of me. Neither of us were wearing leather. She had on a tank top, and was rather well endowed. I came around the next corner and she was standing beside her bike with her top off waving it. I stood on the brakes thinking I was about to have a good time, but instead it turning out a bee had gone down between her melons and stung her, and she was trying to get it out. I did offer to help, and pull any stingers out with my teeth.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:29 PM   #22
norton73
drinkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12RSSteve
Phew good, done most of those. Ellet Gap is my daily commute the back way from Christiansburg to Blacksburg....

58 around Mt. Rogers is a blast!

I'll keep looking.....
Found the Italian resturant down Ellot Valley yet?
My Mother still lives in C'burg, I'll let you know next time I come up to visit. She just had hip replacement done, and my sister is visiting from Utah, taking care of her, I may try to come up there shortly.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:32 PM   #23
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
Found the Italian resturant down Ellot Valley yet?
My Mother still lives in C'burg, I'll let you know next time I come up to visit. She just had hip replacement done, and my sister is visiting from Utah, taking care of her, I may try to come up there shortly.
Not yet, but I'll make it a point to head that way.....

Harpoon lives in C'ville. I used to live there. If you do let us know. I got a GS or a KRS you can borrow....
Old 08-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #24
norton73
drinkin'

I may come up there shortly, if I have my GS fixed soon, I may ride it and take two days of backroads touring either on the way up, or on the way back. I am gainfully unemployed right now, and the wife is headed to Finland for business soon, so I might take advantage of her absence to take a road trip.
I've got two BMW's, and both are broken right now. The only running street bike is the Norton. Fortunatly, this weekend is the British in the Blue Ridge Rally, in Hiawasse GA, so at least I have the correct bike for that. I figure I'm gonna put close to a thousand miles on it this weekend. I'm gonna leave tomorrow, and ride up there. Then I hope to hit some good roads in the area. Rt 28 from Rt 76 up to Highlands is a favorite.