User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #496
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 108
Great Pics

Looks like I missed another great Trip!!!

Sounds like youshoulda packed a couple altitude jets...oh well, you got OVER IT!!!

I, and 8 others enjoyed another fantastic Cape Breton Trip this year!!!!

I even managed to make it up to Meat Cove, and what a twisty, hilly, blind hill and turn; that road IS!!!!

I gotta go again......

Cheers Brian
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #497
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,892
Another great report, now just finish it!
BTW I was on the Gran Central this afternoon behind a Porsche with the license plate "MOBUIS 1" did you get some new wheels?
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #498
MotoPazzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I'm blown away! The beauty, the adventure, the almost break downs, the weather, the people, the balls it took.... I'm simply blown away!
MotoPazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:42 AM   #499
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 812
Great photos and a wonderful story. Keep it coming

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #500
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoPazzo
......the balls it took....

And ovaries.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #501
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,027
Hey Dr. Rock

Two questions-

1-I noticed you have a trailtec computer on your bike. Did it come that way, or did you replace the stock one? If you did replace the stock one is it more accurate/ overall better? Thanks

2-Have you read the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence by Robert M. Pirsig? If not, I would highly recomend it as it's an awesome book you could relate to.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?” Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #502
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,521
Well, well, well. It's been a busy couple of weeks. Total Control course in Frederick, MD two weekends ago, Pine Barrens 300 last weekend... (lots of tire changes in between .) Didn't even realize today was a holiday!

Anyway, my dance card is cleared, and at the top of my to-do list is knocking off this ride report! Thanks for your patience... Let's start by answering some shout-outs and questions:

Beez: nice seeing you in RI as well... didn't we meet at the XPlor event in the Pine Barrens last year? I thought you'd be at the PB300 this weekend. It was a great weekend.

Brian: Wish we could have come back to Nova Scotia this year! How's the Hypermotard treating you? I put the street wheels on the TerraMostro for the road course: Gosh that's fun. I call it the mini-motard set-up.

Rich: We did not get a new set of wheels... though I am in touch with Eastcoast wheels to have them make an 18/21 set for LDF's F650 so I can just swap wheels instead of tires when going back and forth from street to knobs. I'm a complete convert to the one bike - two sets of wheels now that I have the street set-up for the monster.

Alex: I'll give you the 411 on the Total Control course next time I see you at the garage; short version:

Steve: Thanks again for being our "SpOtter" for this leg of the trip. And Francine thanks you for acknowleging her gonads. . Missed you at the PB300 this weekend.

Drizzt: 1. It's a Trailtech Vapor unit. BobbyC put it on, so it was there when I bought the bike from him. It's great... but probably unnecessary unless you're racing enduros (which he was), or trying to use the roll charts only for the TAT, and not GPS. The only time it didn't work was when the battery got low. Now I carry a spare, which is the same battery as LDF's headlamp. 2. Yes. A long time ago. I too can recommend it.

And now... on with the show!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #503
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 6 continued

Two passes down, 4 to go.

But first we've got to get down off of California pass. This is the first switchback:

It was kinda wet and loose and steep, so both my hands were on the grips, and before I knew it, we were passing this sign:

Hey, that wasn't so bad! Three down, three to go...
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #504
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 44,731

did you ever hear of the word JEEP? they have heaters you know..

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #505
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So what is most notable about the alpine tundra above the treeline is the obvious lack of trees...

Not something you might consider as having tremendous implications as long as you're not trying to build a log cabin or something.

Unless, you'd had a couple of cups of coffee before leaving in the morning, and been doing your best to combat altitude sickness by staying well hydrated...

And you're a girl who's a little shy about dropping her pants to take a pee on the open tundra when there's the risk of a big group of moto-cross riders blasting around the turn.

So we get to a cut-off, and it's a steep, steep climb, with a tight turn at the top, and while we stop to contemplate, a jeep is coming down, and it's a little white knuckle, because you really need the momentum just right to go up the hill and make the turn, and if another vehicle is coming down, it wouldn't end pretty even in the best-case scenario.

Meanwhile it's started to flurry. LDF has a little panic attack. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong... and she finally blurts out "I HAVE TO PEE!"

"So pee right here..."

"No way, not with all these motorcycles riding by!"

"Well, let's ride up past that turn and see if there are some trees up ahead"

"I'm not riding up that... what if a jeep or motorcycle is coming down at the same time!"

"OK... I'll ride both bikes up. Start walking"
Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #506
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So we get both bikes and ourselves up around the curve to a flat spot, and lo and behold, there's a single, small tree, off the trail, down about 20 feet of scree.

"I can't climb down there"

"Sure you can..." I climb down there... She climbs down there. A group of about 15 motorcycles rides by... "everything allright?" "Yeah, thanks for asking..."

"I can't pee here."

"Well, it's either pee here or hold it, because it's not like there's going to be a rest room up here! " And I pull down my pants in solidarity, just to prove that looking ridiculous is a small price to pay to relieve an over-distended bladder if you're facing miles and miles of alpine tundra off-road riding.

Another group of a dozen or so enduro riders whizz by.

"OK, here's what we'll do... I'll go back up there with the bikes, and distract anyone who rides by while you pee. I think what's happening is they see two bikes, with no riders, and they immediately look over the edge expecting to see some really cool looking carnage, and maybe some gear they could split up among themselves."

So that's what we do.

"Oh my god, that feels SO much better."

We get back on the bikes, all smiles, and start riding.

Three minutes later. (3 minutes!) we pass this:

Old 10-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #507
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug

did you ever hear of the word JEEP? they have heaters you know..
Hey Scott ... No they don't. Not the good ones, anyway.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #508
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

In and out

of the clouds,

The next section vaguely followed a ridge,

with typical spectacular views in all directions.

This wasn't a named pass as far as I could tell, but it's one of my favorite photos:

Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #509
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Three minutes later. (3 minutes!) we pass this:

From this point forward, consider yourself WRONG at her expense!

Good luck with that...

Great pics and story!

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #510
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dropping in elevation

We stop for a rest. Between the riding and the altitude, we're tired.

But it sure is some beautiful scenery with a fearsome potential if you were to get caught up here in a storm.

The road snakes around, and there are continuously amazing photo ops. To get the following sequence, LDF was riding only about 30 seconds ahead of me.