Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #676
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,430
I wonder if I could talk my wife into riding some of the tougher of those sections with me. Amazing country!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #677
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We had stumbled upon

the 2008 Rocky Mountain ATV Jamboree

and we couldn't get out of there quickly enough. The place was swarming with ATV's. All the hotels were booked solid, and even though it might have been a nice place to stay, the local vibe was worlds away from where our heads were at. What we needed was somehow to ease back into civilization. A spa, or hot springs or something.

A quick search of the GPS revealed that we didn't have far before we left the TAT for Mobius II, and that the next town was Monroe, UT. And what do you know... about the only lodging available was the Mystic Hot Springs resort. Sounds good... Andiamo!

It was harrowing.

We climbed out of the valley,

and couldn't ride for more than 3 minutes

before passing a group of 20+ ATV's following 10 feet behind one another.

We'd stop, let the dust settle, and then carry on.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #678
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Don't believe me?

This is what it looked like:

LDF missed a turn in all the dust, and I had to run her down...

it was miserable.

cough, cough.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #679
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I wonder if I could talk my wife into riding some of the tougher of those sections with me. Amazing country!
Is she a little crazy? 'Cause if so, then maybe. Can't hurt to try?

No, wait. It definitely CAN hurt to try.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #680
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Remember THE Sinkhole?

this is THE Mudhole:

I dared LDF to ride across it. But she didn't.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #681
JMB_ADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
If you think this is a bad sign to see when you pull into town...

This one is even worse:

"Welcome ATV riders"
ROFL!"Großes Kino,Meister"
Old 10-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #682
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,890
Quote:
Precisely what I've been thinking!

If I could get Tracy on a DRZ400 or KLX, I think she'd do it..

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post24898278
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #683
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,467
Quote:

Bonnie and I are going to ride it in the spring.

You two should come along.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #684
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Leaving the ATV-O-Rama

We thought we had finally escaped the ATV zone:

Not quite:

Cough, cough...

Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #685
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Off the TAT

So instead of heading west out of UT on Skunk Creek rd, and into NV on the TAT, we veered southeast on Rockwood rd. here:

If all goes well, in May 2009 we'll be back at this spot, only headed towards the right.

TAT goes that way:

Old 10-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #686
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We go this way

Our immediate agenda was to find shelter.

so we dropped back down into the valley,

and got gas and dinner fixin's. We asked the guy at the gas station / general store if he knew anything about Mystic Hot Springs, if they had camping or anything... and he said that they were pretty run down, but we could camp behind the gas station... they had a couple of "hook-ups." It looked pretty unappealing, so we decided to zip over to Monroe City and check out the Mystic Hot Springs ourselves.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:59 AM   #687
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A short ride

up from Main St.

and we were there:

Mystic Hot Springs spa resort is an interesting place.

Once we started to get our gear off,

we saw how dirty and dusty we had gotten mixing it up with the ATV's.

the bikes were pretty crusty too,

but the first order of business was a shower, then a soak in the hot springs.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #688
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Yes, it's run down

The showers were a short walk back towards town. There's an old bath house, with showers that look like they are straight out of Chernobyl.

but it was clean, and hot, and the best shower we had had in three days. (only shower also ).

The bath house was in the middle of a RV / trailer home park that the Mystic proprietors also ran.

there was a nice Magic Bus collection going on in the middle of it all:

Old 10-21-2008, 07:12 AM   #689
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The Mystic experience

It turns out Mystic has a few other side gigs going on as well. When we registered, the staff was having a communal dinner, and we were invited to the music show that evening which was a band from Chicago.

Besides the camping / cabins, they host music events, the owner does some videography & studio recording, they reclaim and rebuild old log cabins,

-- we splurged and rented this one:

(clean, cozy, one room, no heat)

then they have the RV park, and of course the hot springs. Which was to be our next stop.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #690
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The swimming pool

had seen better days,

but the hot springs were awesome.

LDF thought they were gross, and felt too clean after her shower to sully herself in nature's dirty bath water, so took a pass. I on the other hand soaked.

LDF wandered around and took some photos:

it was a nice sunset.