User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #706
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Of course

had we really felt too guilty at riding pavement, we could always have jumped onto the ATV trail that paralleled the road.

Nah, let's just make some miles.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #707
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

'Round 12:30

we stopped here for gas:

and got sucked in by the yummy lunch smells, and had to stop and eat.

"What's gotten into you?" LDF asked. "Two restaurant-cooked meals in as many days??? 'yer gettin' soft!"

"Yeah, it don't look like 'yer exactly sufferin'"

(Note: we had to make our own "fry sauce" out of mayo & ketchup. See, I told you it was regional, and we're still in UT).

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #708
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I had routed

about another 40 miles of dirt, which we decided to bypass and rather take 17 miles of pavement, which would get us to within striking distance of Bryce Canyon (38 miles away).

It wasn't as if we were on an interstate or anything. In fact, we hardly saw any traffic.

We started to cross some flat ranchland, and saw some rain up ahead.

Here's where we would have been spit out of the dirt road had we taken it from Antimony. 41 miles of dirt that will have to wait for another day.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #709
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Air-rain

It's a term I made up to describe this:

sort of like an air-kiss... "Helloooo daaahhhhling..." [air-kiss]

and nobody gets wet.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #710
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Two things noteworth

crossing this plain:

first, the light was totally surreal.

(none of these photos are even close to capturing it)

The second, was passing these cattle who were being herded by the most beautiful human beings on the planet.

There were either two boys and one girl, or vice versa. Probably siblings, all late teens (?) and it could easily have been some high fashion photo shoot, except they knew what they were doing. We slowed down to pass them, and I tried to take photos. This is all I got:

Who knew cowgirls were so hot? (and before you all think I'm swine, LDF agreed with me that they were good looking kids, AND commented that the cowboys caught her eye as well.)
Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #711
JSPEED
650 Strommer

Oddometer: 104
I just thought I'd check to see if the second half of The Mobius Trip was up.

Wow...awesome pics and you guys keep me laughing and entertained.

Glad to see you and LDF are still doing well.

Cheers from Nova Scotia.

2012 V-Strom DL650AEXPL2
www.dualsport.ca
http://www.rideatlantic.ca/
JSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #712
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
We walked back to town to find some food. Passed this along the way. What the heck is going on in there that requires four signs to keep people out?

Mystic meth lab?
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #713
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

What's he building in there?

This is what comes to mind:

Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #714
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So we didn't stay

entirely dry.

it barely sprinkled. We started to see billboards for civilization:

and then BAM, we were in the land of gigantic Recreational Vehicles (or as one bumper sticker said, "RV stands for 'Real Vacation'" , polyester sweatsuits, blue hair, and natural wonders far too easily accessible for our taste.

We had to fight for parking,

and think about security... take the GPS's off the bikes. sheesh.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #715
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

That said

if you can ignore the issues raised in the above post. Yes, Bryce canyon is a beautiful place.

Honestly, though... it felt like we were cheating.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #716
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We tried

to do the tourist-thing:

taking photos of the canyon, and of each other...

but it's kind of hard to fit in with our outfits.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #717
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Even Adventure Bunny

got in on the act.

Coy,

Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #718
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We rode on

to the next vista point.

parked again, and walked over to check out the views.

OK, that's cool. Let's walk a little further (these boots were not made for walking)

OK... smile like a tourist:

Boy, am I dirty.

It was cracking me up watching LDF walking amongst all those clean people. Every time we'd take a step, a little cloud of dust would emanate from us.

People were staring. Clutching their children close to their bodies. Whispering to each other. Pointing.

It was awesome.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #719
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tell me this isn't funny

Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #720
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We fit right in

I was starting to get distracted from the natural beauty. People were really giving LDF and Adventure Bunny a wide berth.