Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #781
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
Not to worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
I recall mentioning that somewhere along about 15 pages ago. I am glad it didnt screw you up more then it did. Yea, 2 hours down time is a drag, but at least you were not out in the middle of nowhere.
The bummer is next spring when you dig the bikes outta storage, you will be rebuilding a carb before you go anywhere.

The pictures you have posted are just amazing. I guess I dont need to go now !!
WRT the Carb. repairs....he can handle it!!! He'll get all the parts(I see he already has recieved em)and perform all the necessary cleaning and install the required parts, before the next stage!!!! Nothing wrong with previous repair....It's called a patch, or temporary repair; which he got away with, FOR AWHILE, Well done

On with the show?

Cheers Brian
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #782
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I find the road

You have to open a gate.

the last time we left a paved road through a gate we had to open and close, we were in the Black Dragon Wash. I took this to be a good sign.

I took the above photo after closing the gate behind me, I turn around to see that LDF has promptly missed the first turn, and is way ahead () following the more traveled power-line road, instead of the barely visible trail I've routed us on that heads off to the left.

Not a good start. I tear off after her.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #783
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I catch her

we backtrack, and I can tell already that she's apprehensive.

"Do you know where we are?" "Yeah, (sort of)... it's on the GPS"

"Is it legal for us to ride here?" "Sure. (I think)" "Hmmmm".

"So then why do we keep having to go through these gates?"

"Um, that's how you get through a fence?"

"Are you sure these are even roads? I think it's just a cow path or something... there's no tire tracks."

Hmmm... she got me on that one.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #784
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

See, apparently

it's fine for Sam Correro to route us through the middle of nowhere, that's the TAT. It's cool with her.

But when I do it, I'm accused of "Gerry-ing" the route.

Now, if you don't get that reference, and you spend ANY time out in the desert, you MUST see the 2002 Gus Van Sant directed film "Gerry" with Matt Damon and Casey Affleck. When we watched it, I was rapt. LDF fell asleep, but caught enough of it to get the gist. Let's just say the topic came up on this section.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #785
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,496
Note to self: DON'T let Bonnie see that movie.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #786
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Navigation

became a bit of an issue. I took the lead.

At this point, from the tops of the rises, we could get our bearings and see buildings behind us off in the distance.

Of course, we were quite a ways away from them, and moving ever further. Once we started to get into a little hillier area, we lost even that visual connection.

I was loving it.

Francine was not.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #787
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I miss one turn

ONE Freaking TURN.

"Where are you TAKING us, GERRY?"
Old 10-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #788
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Now, I gotta admit

I was navigating by the seat of my pants.

It was a maze of half tracks, cow paths, GPS had maybe a third of them. I was pretty much winging it. At this point, I looked down to what the route had evolved into (or rather deteriorated),

and it was entirely conceivable to me that the last vehicle that had passed this way was a covered wagon.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #789
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We picked up a fence line

and then lost it. Got into the Juniper / Pinion pine elevation,

and then back into sage brush.

and the strangest thing would be that I would see some tire tracks, for a quarter-mile or so, and then nothing. And then tracks again. Of course this supports my alien abduction theory.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #790
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We pressed on

with the trail more,

or less visible:

and just as we thought we'd have to backtrack, or worse, we came to a gate,

beyond which was these guy's backyard,

beyond which was...

Admit it, Francine. It was cool.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #791
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

After a short stretch of pavement,

we picked up a nicely graded gravel NF service road:

and started making good time again.

We climbed higher into the pine trees,

and I thought, despite our 2 hour delay, that we might still make it out to Point Sublime.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #792
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
And huge storm clouds over the grand canyon.

Hey, I know that spot.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #793
forrest_fire1
I came, went & discovered

Oddometer: 173
Thumb wow

amazing.
Thank you
forrest_fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:48 AM   #794
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,639
awesome stuff
really enjoying reading this
thanks for posting
Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #795
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This is my brother's stomping grounds

He works for the Northern Arizona University Dept. of Forestry. They do research, and collect field data in several areas, among which is the Mt. Trumbull area of the North Rim. From my understanding, they study how forest fires spread depending on how the forest and previous fires are managed.

They like to study areas that are really remote, and have been testing the hypothesis that fire is part of the natural cycle of forests. That it serves to clear out dead undergrowth, and allows older trees greater separation from one another which both prevents forest fires to spread, and allows the remaining trees to grow to spectacular heights.

So as we passed through this area, I was wondering if what we were seeing was some of his handiwork. I didn't understand what these piles of dead wood were:

But when I showed him the photos he explained,

I can't remember the precise term for it, but the idea is that the dead stuff is collected, and then when the snow falls, the piles are lit on fire. It turned out this wasn't exactly where he had worked, but it isn't far.