User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #826
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
On our way

out the back way from Page, AZ, we got a better look at the coal-burning generator plant:

As we motored along, there were high tension power lines cutting every which way across the desert:

The clouds were surreal.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #827
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,002
Thumb

Now you guys are in my backyard! Sunset Crater is an often overlooked gem in Arizona. Glad you made it there.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #828
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,178
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #829
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,673
more please....
Old 10-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #830
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 819
I missed a few days and just spent hour and half catching up.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #831
hipnotik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Fantastic report Dave and Francine, thanks for sharing

'05 R1200RT
hipnotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #832
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So I missed the photo

of the sign that advertised "Gravel road, 8 miles ahead", but I got this one:

All right! Bring it on.

Oh, it was gravel all right...

for about 25 fookin feet.

And then, it was SAND .

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #833
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sand

The Inuit allegedly have 25 different words for snow.

The Navajo on the other hand have only one word for sand,

and that word apparently is "Gravel".

I mean, what part of the road in these photos

is even remotely gravel-like?
Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #834
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

miracles along the way

Whether it was the wideness of the road or what, LDF was moving along pretty well, standing most of the time, weight back, throttle on,

(We're about half-way here... another 17 miles to go.) Until... she gets into some really thick stuff, and goes into a tank slapper at about 35mph. Now I know you've seen the aftermath of one of those... the serpentine tracks in the sand, increasing in radius, ending in a heap of flesh and motorcycle, usually with luggage strewn about for good measure. Following behind it was like watching her in slow-motion... back, forth, almost down, back again, almost down again, both feet off the pegs, now back on, now one hand off the bars, forth, then a couple of jiggles back and forth... and then she stopped. I couldn't believe that she didn't go down. I mean the tracks were there in the sand! I pulled up next to her...

"Wow, that was amazing! I've never, NEVER seen anyone recover once they got into that sequence! Awesome, you're really getting the hang of riding in the sand. "

"What are you talking about, I nearly died! I can't do this. I'm not going to go fast anymore. I hate it!"

Only 16.8 miles to go, Paddlefoot.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #835
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The dead guy

So we're plodding along. It's like 150 degrees out, but there's no wind. And an SUV is coming towards us. I'm in front and I stop. As it pulls up, a woman rolls down her window and waves me over. LDF is about 50 yards behind me and doesn't hear our conversation:

"Do you have a cell phone?"
"Um, yeah."
Do you have a signal?"
"I doubt it, let me check, why?"
"There's a guy on the road back there, and I think he might be dead. I was going to call the sheriff or 911, but I don't have a signal here."
"Me either. How do you know he's dead?"
"He was just lying there. On the right side of the road. There's a back pack next to him. I didn't get out of the car because I was scared."
"Well, we're headed that way, how much further to the body?"
"About 3-4 miles. When I get to Page, I'll call the sheriff."
"OK, if we see anyone we'll see what we can do to help."

I put my cell phone away, and photographed her riding away past LDF:

I decided to stay in the lead for the next few miles, and as it was straight, I could wick it up, get a ways ahead, stop and wait, and still see LDF's headlight and know that she hadn't fallen.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-26-2008 at 09:24 PM
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #836
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

LDF pulls up

"What was that conversation about?"

"Oh nothing. Dead guy up ahead."

"WHAT!?!"

"Yeah, but she wasn't sure. You wanna lead?"

"NO!!! How far?"

"Coupla miles."
Old 10-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #837
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340

Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #838
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So as I'm riding,

I'm thinking to myself:

What are our options? Well, that depends if the guy is really dead or not. If he's dead, it's kind of easy, notify some authority as soon as we can. Well, what if he's sick, unconscious, something like that? That's pretty easy also. Hippocratic oath and all that. We'll stop and help. Not that there's much we could do. First aid? Hydration?

Probably the best thing would be to call an ambulance. Given that we have no cell service, our options would be to leave him, or use the 911 function of Spot. Hmmm. That would be sort of drastic, probably best reserved if he was really critical. So first thing is to see if he's really dead or not. Then assess if he's in critical condition. If so, call 911 using Spot, if not, administer first aid, and summon help as quickly as possible. Sounds like a plan.

Hey look, there he is up ahead.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #839
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,178

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #840
BigJon
Cactus Hobbit

Oddometer: 38
A body?

I have been watching this for a about a week now, just getting caught up awesome report took me a day of reading to get here and let me tell you it is well worth it.