Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Thumb October Quest for the Original Cape Coalwood

I set out to find the original location where Homer Hickam, Jr. tested his rockets. I grew up in a small coal mining community in Kentucky. I left the community when I was 18 and now only return occasionally to visit family and friends. A few years ago I watched the movie October Sky Based on the novel Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam, Jr. and that story is the subject of the this ride report.

This would be a long four days of riding so serious time was given for planning routes and researching some background information.

Of course we had to do this in October. After all, it was the launch of Sputnik in October of 1957 that created the “space race” and inspired Homer to want to become an aerospace engineer.

Mo Boot was kind enough to join me on this adventure.

We stopped in Petros, TN, to see what remained of one of the filming locations of the movie.

(Image from the web)

The temporary set of the Olga temple was removed after the filming. It was located on this corner in Petros. Several other locations remain in Petros that were featured in the movie.

Next, in Oliver Springs, TN, we saw Olga Coal Company still visible on several of the buildings in this small Tennessee town.

We wanted to get to Erwin, TN, for the evening, so we had to take off after a bite of lunch.

On day two the goal was to make it to Elk Park, NC, to meet up with Dlrides.

Mo Boot had some battery trouble, and the weather was blowing trees at us at 4,900 ft up on Beauty Spot Gap road. I have never seen weather this bad while riding.

Dlrides is a history buff and wanted to do the Coalwood ride with us on Saturday. He was gracious enough to show us some incredible historic items in & around Cranberry, NC. Friday was spent in that area exploring with Dlrides did a separate ride report for this day’s adventure http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401209.

Mo boot at a very long cable suspension bridge.

My fuel pump began to spit and sputter on the 950 about an hour after this creek crossing.

(photo courtesy of dlrides)

The bike completely stopped running just as we pulled up next to a car wash. I had total fuel pump failure.

After several attempts to solve the problem, it looks like this ride has come to a premature ending.

Let me look around & see what I have.

Well, I will be dog, I just happen to have an extra fuel pump with me.

Dlrides was kind enough to install the fuel pump, and we headed to find shelter and a warm, dry bed for the evening.

Tomorrow - the destination is the Original Cape Coalwood and some historical information on the interesting coal village.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available

DeBandi screwed with this post 12-17-2008 at 11:02 AM
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote