|10-28-2008, 05:01 AM||#1|
Journey not Destination
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Port of the Gasparilla
F8GS Aux Brake (edit- and Driving) Light Project
So this is unusual. I actually took some pictures of a project in progress. (Please pardon the out of focus shots.) This is my auxiliary tail light project. The goal: a triangular light pattern at the rear of the bike (front is next—delayed by engine guard back order).
So here’s the plan:
I started with straight aluminum stock from Lowe’s. I found the lights at Ace Hardware.
The cuts were done by drawing a box with a marker and drilling a hole at each corner. Then it was a matter of cutting out and connecting the dots. Some quick file work and the holes are in place. (Unfortunately, I didn’t think to start photos until the next stage.)
A closer shot of the lights. Note the protrusion on the back. This is good and bad. It’s good because it will help stabilize the mounting process. It’s bad because you have to make a square hole in metal.
Here’s how they fit together.
Here’s a before shot of the back of the bike.
This is the lineup on the aluminum stock.
I’m drilling the mounting holes for the license plate bracket. Mark your spot and use a punch (a nail in this case) to create an indent for the drill bit to track. This will keep your bit from wandering.
The drilling process will start with a small bit and progress to the larger bit.
Time for a test fit.
This is an oblique shot to show the muffler clearance. I am minorly concerned about exhaust gas on light bracket. We shall see…
I am removing the rack from the back. This requires a T45 to remove 4 bolts.
Next, using a T40, I remove the two screws that you can see on either side of the Starcom and lift away the grab handle.
Next, out come two T25 screws. This part is anchored by a tab at the rear. Merely lift and remove.
Time to run some wires. I pushed three 16 gauge wires from top to bottom. These feed easily behind the OEM tail light (without removing it or its wires). I use black wires for all my projects and color code them with zip ties: green=ground, red=taillight, and yellow=brake light.
Under the rear of the tail section there is one T25 screw to remove and a panel drops out. Thank you BMW. This was a nice touch.
There is an opening to the rear of the bike, just in front of the license plate light. Again, thank you BMW. This made routing the wires easy and drill-free.
So back to the light bar, it’s time to glue. Gorilla Glue is my substance of choice. Exhaustive research? No, it was available.
First, I dremeled off some casting studs on the back of the lights. This gives me a flat bonding surface.
I use zip ties (love ‘em) to apply the bonding pressure.
Shrink tubing covers the wiring and spade connectors are applied.
Here’s the completed wire job. Note that I have drilled small holes for cable tying purposes.
So back at the bike, the spade connectors go on that end.
I connect the ground and taillight wires to my distro block which powers my Starcom and test it. Let there be light!
Put it back together and I’m ready to ride.
This is phase I.
Phase II will be hooking up the brake light function. I haven’t decided how to do that, although I have already run that wire into the tail section. Right now it is not connected.
Phase III will be coating the assembly with truck bed liner.
Be patient. It will take a couple of days to get back to this.
If anyone can recommend a way and place to tap for the brake light, I’ll take it. I have already identified the wire, but I would like to slave at a connector and not have to actually tap the wire.
Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 04:30 PM
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|