Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
Holaday OP
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 564
Left for the Baja on a BMW came home on a 990S

So the idea was to ride my well looked after low km 91 GSPD down the Baja from my home in North Vancouver BC. I was going to take about a month or 5 weeks to do it. I got the bike all ready changed all the fluids, fresh fuel lines and filters. Had the dual seat built up so I would be more comfortable with my long legs. I was picking up my wife Glynis in the Palm Desert and she would spend ten days with me and fly home from Cabo. I had a fresh set of TKC's waiting for me in the Palm Desert. I left North Van on a rainy thursday morning and headed down the I5.

Day 1 North Vancouver

Saw this cool HPN BMW at REI in Bellingham
No sign of the owner. He must have been in the Tai Restaurant next door.

Check out the bomber R100 motor with new style swingarm. Hope BMW remembered to circlip your transmission [authors attempt at foreshadowing]

Next stop Tully's Coffee to warm up and get caffeinated before hitting Touratech. I did my major shop there in the summer so this time I got out for under 20 bucks. From TT it was out in to Seattle rush hour traffic in heavy rain showers. Made it to Kelso Washington and checked into the Super 8.
Next day I was heading for Bend Oregon I had planned on heading down the east side of the Sierra's through California so I figured I would cross the Cascades and check out Bend. The weather sucked so I didn't take any pics. But don't worry there is lots of Baja pics coming.

Nice Condos in Bend OR.

Checked in to Sugarloaf Mountain Motel and called it a day.
Next day was the first day of hunting season. Lots of camo and orange vests.

HWY 31 stopped to put on more clothes.

What is that bright warm thing in the sky

Sun finally comes out

Lunch at Jerry's in Lakeview OR.

After lunch I headed south out of Lakeview. Passed a restaurant on the south end of town that had a few Adventure bikes out front. About 15 miles south of town just as I crossed into California I started to get this weird vibration coming from the bike. I hoped it was the change in road surface as I crossed into California. It was getting worse, way worse. Now it was coming through the foot pegs. Oh SH*T I had better pull over. I pulled to the shoulder. The bike stalled. I restarted it and tried to move. It lurched forward and stalled. I started it again and turned it around and made it as far as the shoulder on the north bound lane. The tranny was F#CKED. I guess the circlip mod wasn't done. I never really new for sure. The p/o had told me that it hadn't been done, and then later said he thought that it had. The mileage on this bike was low 42k kms. I thought that even if it hadn't been done that I would be ok with this low mileage. I hitched back to Lakeview and got a 175 dollar tow back to town.

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464

Holaday screwed with this post 03-31-2009 at 08:45 AM
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote