ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
WV Historical Markers - Let's Find All 700

I’ve enjoyed following and participating in the WV Tag-O-Rama, and finding interesting locations led me to this site about the West Virginia Historical Marker Program. Here is a brief background of the Historical Marker Program as noted on their website:

It was implemented in 1937, during the Great Depression, to encourage tourism. The West Virginia Commission on Historic and Scenic Markers worked with the State Road Commission, Works Progress Administration, and Federal Emergency Relief Administration to place 440 markers during the first year alone. After World War II, markers were placed at the sites of most state-run facilities and schools. The West Virginia Historic Commission took over the program in 1963. Since the late 1960s, the program has been managed by the West Virginia State Archives, which is today part of the West Virginia Division of Culture & History.

The State Archives maintains files on each of the markers. Unfortunately, many of these files are outdated because markers have been moved and road names have been changed. Approximately 1,000 markers have been placed in West Virginia. However, the recent survey indicates nearly 30% are no longer standing and a majority of the remaining markers are in dire need of repair.There is no state funding to repair or replace markers. Some historical societies and civic groups assume the cost for refurbishing markers in their counties. Missing or damaged markers should be reported to the State Archives.

My goal in this thread is to gather photos and a brief footnote on all of the remaining markers. There should be about 700+ of them out there. If you visit the WV Historical Markers website http://www.wvculture.org/history/markers.html you can find lists of markers in each county. (See Markers Database page)

This is an opportunity for all riders to contribute to the awareness of our WV History (and to make up for sleeping through history class like I did - sorry, Mr. Poling!), and it’s just a good excuse to get out there and ride. I believe every county has at least a few markers, so nobody should feel left out.

A few simple guidelines, please:
1) Only photos of the rectangular white metal signs with the state insignia on the top. You know the ones I’m talking about. (See example below) Please, no funny/cute signs or ads. The wooden sign in the parking lot of Spruce Knob (“Highest Point in WV”) is a nice sign, but it’s not a Historical Marker. Sorry. If you want to start a separate thread for those, please feel free to do so. Thanks!

2) Please post a close-up photo of the sign sized large enough to read – I usually post 640X480 and that seems to work. Also, step back and take a photo or two of the general area and the specific attraction (if applicable). Include your bike in the area photo if you would like. Three to five photos should generally be the limit, unless there are multiple parts of the attraction. It would help to give general directions to the sign if others would like to visit it.

3) Brush off your writing skills and give us a 50-100 word essay on what the site meant to you. Perhaps you visited here as a kid, or it had some sort of special meaning, or you can elaborate on the history of the site beyond the writing on the marker.

4) File photos are OK, as long as you took them (no copying from other websites)

5) If you find that a marker is missing or moved, please make a note of it so others will know. Many are already listed as MIA on the WV website.

6) Keep it clean and keep it polite. There are some North/South/Slavery history markers that could easily start arguments. Keep any arguments/disagreements/politics offline on Personal Messages. We’re not here to judge the actions of our ancestors, just to preserve a bit of history.
Perhaps we can do a small part to assist the Dept of Archives and History to maintain these signs and keep a bit of WV history alive. Enough talk – now let’s get riding!!

To see what Markers have been posted, please click on the link below. As I find time, I will try to keep the list updated as much as possible.

TOTAL MARKERS TAGGED - Appx 825 (Accounts for duplicate County-Line markers)

MARKERS STILL AVAILABLE - Appx 20

UPDATE: 13 Sept 2014

Here is what I have TENTATIVELY - meaning, the markers were ordered and presumed to be delivered to the local DOH sign shops, but we don't know if they are in place. I stopped by our local shop earlier this year, and the sign man (Rick Reed) told me he had put up a few, but he still had some in the wrappers waiting to be installed. So.... with that in mind, here is a list of new or refurbished markers that MAY or MAY NOT be in place yet. The new markers did not have an exact location listed (which are on the list of questions for Joe).

*** SPREADSHEET IS BEING UPDATED WITH NEW AND REPLACED MARKERS - ****

HERE IS A LIST WITH UPDATES AS I GET NEW INFO - CLICK HERE To Find Available Markers, look for the X in the far RH column (Available)

NEW MARKERS:

Capon Lake Whipple Truss Bridge (Hampshire Co) Location ? - EDIT: Documented/Photographed

Stalnaker Cabin Site and Cemetery (Randolph Co) US 250, south of Beverly, near junction with Scott Lake Road
EDIT: Documented/Photographed

Oakwood Mine Complex (Fayette Co) WV 612, .65 miles west of Carlisle

Carswell Mining Complex (McDowell Co) WV 52, near Carswell Hollow Road

Lavina Norman (Cabell Co) 1500 block of 10th Avenue, Huntington

Jimtown/Phillips Cemetery (Randolph Co) - WV151, near intersection with Jimtown Road

WERE PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS MISSING:

Camp Carlile (Ohio CO) Zane St / N. Wabash St - Wheeling Island, Wheeling
Greenbrier CO / Virginia - Rt 60 (?)
Asa Gray / Buffalo Trail (Randolph Co) - Rt 250 near Pocahontas Co line
Fort Ogden (Grant Co) Rt 50 - E of Gormania - 1 mile west of CR 50-2
EDIT: Documented/Photographed Aug2014
Fairfax Line (Grant Co) Rt 220 - 1 mile south of Petersburg
Dunmore's Camp (Wood Co) - Rt 2 - Waverly
Huntington (Cabell Co) - Rt 60 (5th Ave) between 7th and 8th Street
Lover's Leap (Morgan Co) - Rt 522 - north of Berkeley Springs (better get this one before someone steals it again!)
Mason-Dixon Line (Preston Co) - Rt 26 NE of Bruceton Mills at the PA state line. (** Note: still missing as of July2014)
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 05:49 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Wink

OK, If I have this right, file photo is OK? If so, here's this one I used for a WV tag.

Located on Smoke Hole Road, CR 2, about 2 miles from the intersection of CR 2 and 220.
The riding through here is great. Low volume traffic, continuous elevation changes, increasing and decreasing radius turns, narrow and paved. Run this road from RT 55 to RT 220 for a ride that will stand out in your memory a while. Great scenery all through Smoke Hole Canyon.
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
pnoman OP
Just Average

vatrader01,

Excellent. Yes, file photos are OK - in fact, mine was taken a few weeks ago for the WV Tag-O-Rama also. As long as you took the photo, it's OK. I just didn't think it would be nice to have someone upload hundreds of photos they grabbed from other websites -- where's the fun in that?

We're off to a great start. Only 698 to go. Thanks!!
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 11-17-2008 at 03:07 AM
Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
pnoman OP
Just Average

Link to All WV Markers

Thanks to a great suggestion by gimmeslack, I have added a link back in the original post (#1) to 3 webpages I made with all of the known Markers in WV. It's divided into 3 pages (A-H, J-O, and P-W), but I've added enough links to hopefully make navigating easy. As the markers are posted, I will try to note it on the list so you can easily see which ones are "unclaimed".

Brush the snow off the bikes and let's see how many we can find before Spring. There's bound to be a few near you. Sure beats sitting around watching reruns on TV.

EDIT - 15 JUNE 2009: Marker database is now on a Spreadsheet. Click link in my signature block or on Post #1 to view.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-20-2009 at 02:38 PM
Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
I have added a link back in the original post (#1) to 3 webpages I made with all of the known Markers in WV. It's divided into 3 pages (A-H, J-O, and P-W), but I've added enough links to hopefully make navigating easy. As the markers are posted, I will try to note it on the list so you can easily see which ones are "unclaimed".

Brush the snow off the bikes and let's see if we can find 'em all before Spring. There's bound to be a few near you. Sure beats sitting around watching reruns on TV.
Awesome! Great effort on your part

I've been snowed under with work and the short days don't help any.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
pnoman OP
Just Average

Stonewall Jackson Statue - Clarksburg

Here goes - I'm trying to use my web host (1and1) to host my photos. Let's see if it works.

Stonewall Jackson Statue on the courthouse square in Clarksburg, at the corner of Main St and 3rd. When I was in Middle School and High School, I would sit on the wall in front of this statue waiting for my bus home. SJ was born across the street where a couple of dime stores stood in the 60s and 70s, before the mall closed everything down.

For a more detailed bio of Lt Gen Stonewall Jackson, click here.

The Historic Marker Sign.

Here's the statue. They cleaned and polished it up in the 70s, and for awhile it was bright copper or brass (I forget). Now it has returned to it's dull patina.

Here's a view of the area (standing in the middle of Main St during rush hour!
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 06:17 AM
Old 11-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Neat idea. I thought of creating a tag game using only historical markers in Ohio but haven't gotten to it yet. Would be a slower-moving tag game, I suppose, but would be fun.

I probably have a few WV historical markers in my photos - will look and get back to ya when I get a chance. I'm in Columbus but ride in WV a lot; I have some family in the southern part of the state.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
pnoman OP
Just Average

Thanks.

Gimmeslack and Solace - Thanks! Please spread the word.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 11-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,942
I look forward to contributing to this thread. Good idea! We may have to do something similar here in VA or the Valley.

Our VA website has a Google Map with all the markers. This one is for Rockingham County: http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/hiway_ma...ram=Rockingham

Possibly something like this or in the style of the "Tag Map" could be compiled for this game as well.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,942
Tuscarora (Clinton) Sandstone - Rt. 39 East of Marlinton, Pocahontas County

From WV Ninja Ride - 9.28.08

From WV Ninja Ride - 9.28.08

On 9/28/08, Goldfinch (from Ninja250.com), my Dad and I went on a ride from Harrisonburg down Rt. 42 to Goshen. [Ride Report] Here we met Goldfinch and continued on down Rt. 39 to Marlinton for lunch at the diner in town. We were one day late for the annual "Road Kill Coofoff"
Along the way to Marlinton we rode past this anticline and agreed to stop for a picture on the way back. The bottom of the sign says "SPONSORED BY THE WEST VIRGINIA COMMITTEE OF THE NATURAL GAS AND OIL INDUSTRY" Shows who holds the $$$ around these parts.

Also, never knew about Westylvania.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada

HBN screwed with this post 01-01-2009 at 08:05 AM
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Battle of Blair Mountain

Cool thread, here's my first submission.

Location: WV 17, approximately 8 miles east of Logan between Ethel and Blair

Located in the heart of coal country, then and now. I ride this area at least one time a year with the wife and friends. They ride quads, it's also the heart of the Hatfield McCoy system. You can see that I am out numbered in this next photo.

A ride report can be found here.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."

intothenew screwed with this post 11-21-2008 at 09:08 AM
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew

Located in the heart of coal country, then and now. I ride this area at least one time a year with the wife and friends. They ride quads, it's also the heart of the Hatfield McCoy system. You can see that I am out numbered in this next photo.

A ride report can be found here.
Cool post.
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
Something of historical importance happened at each and every marker. Spend some time, do some homework and share the history in a short story.

Just tagging a historical marker is an insult to those of us that truly value history. Who knows, I bet you may even learn something.

Great start to what I hope is a fantastic, historically rich thread.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew

Located in the heart of coal country, then and now. I ride this area at least one time a year with the wife and friends.

I hope that everyone who participates realizes these are more than just photo sights. Many lives have been lost, and individuals sacrificed more than we can comprehend at many of these locations.

The above marker represents an event that shaped the coal mining industry and labor laws in an astounding way ! I researched this event for months, and spent three days finding the associated landmarks. I stood in the trenches the company regulators used to shoot hard working, mistreated miners, and chills ran through me.

Not trying to discourage finding the markers, but take the time to understand their meaning and signifiance to West Virginia.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #15
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
I hope that everyone who participates realizes these are more than just photo sights.

That is exactly why I stopped 4 months ago.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote