ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 02:25 AM   #16
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,914
Historical significance

I agree that we should be realizing the significance of each site, which is why I wrote the following in the initial guidelines:

3) Brush off your writing skills and give us a 50-100 word essay on what the site meant to you. Perhaps you visited here as a kid, or it had some sort of special meaning, or you can elaborate on the history of the site beyond the writing on the marker.

I don't mean for each post to be a "Be all - End all" definitive history of the site, but rather a "seed" that will hopefully inspire those interested to dig deeper into our rich WV history and perhaps visit the site. A more detailed report is great if you have a deeper insight and knowledge of the site. Otherwise, a brief review at least makes others aware of a historical or geological site they otherwise may have never discovered.

Those of you who didn't sleep through WV History class (like I unfortunately did) are welcome to add historical notes to posts of sites you have more knowledge of. Or, if you can add a link to a related website for more information, that would be nice.

So far, so good. Thanks, everyone. Keep the photos and notes coming.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 11-22-2008 at 08:08 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #17
pnoman OP
Just Average

Champe Rocks - Pendleton Co

Located on Rt 55/28 about 6 - 8 miles northeast of Seneca Rocks. Often ignored because of it's more famous neighbor, Champe Rocks is still impressive. It is part of the River Knobs, formerly known as East Seneca Ridge, that run north from Cherry Grove to near Seneca Rocks. They follow the North Fork South Branch Potomac River along Rt 55/33. The historical note on the sign tells of Sgt Champe, who was sent by George Washington to kidnap Benedict Arnold. Apparently, the plot failed.

This is a beautiful stretch of highway from Seneca Rocks to Petersburg. Not too far north/east of here, Smoke Hole Road (CR 28-11) turns south off of Rt 55/28. There are no boring roads in this section of the state, whether you are talking riding, scenery, or history. (Come to think of it, there are very few boring roads anywhere in the state, but that's another story)

The Historical Marker

A view of Champe Rocks. from Rt 55/28. (I'd love to live here - what a view!)
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 11-22-2008 at 12:52 PM
Old 11-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #18
pnoman OP
Just Average

Germany Valley - Pendleton Co

Located along the eastern side of Rt 33/28 south of Seneca Rocks, between Judy Gap and Riverton. For a good history of the area from Wikipedia, click here. (Interesting reading, especially the Hellhole bat controversy at the end of the article) Rt 33 east from Judy Gap and over the North Fork Mt is a great ride . Named for the Germans that settled here in the 18th Century. It's still predominately German ancestry around here. (My mother was an Alt)

The Historical Marker Sign

A view from the turn-off.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 11-22-2008 at 05:52 PM
Old 11-23-2008, 03:53 AM   #19
pnoman OP
Just Average

WV Geocenter

(Maybe this will get the ball rolling on the WV Tag-O-Rama tag that I placed here 2 weeks ago The weather hasn't exactly been great, though: 20 degrees and snow)

The Geographic Center of West Virginia, located 4 miles southeast of Sutton (Exit 62 off of I-79) Go across the big bridge in town, bear to the right, and follow CR 19-40 southeast about 4 miles to the intersection with CR 17 (turnoff to Centralia). You're there!

The US Geological Survey has a cool site that lists geocenters, highest and lowest elevations, etc. Click here to read more. Basically, there are numerous methods of determining the geocenter, but the commonly accepted way is to imagine the area (WV in this case) balancing on a sharp point. Factors such as curvature of the earth and irregular surfaces (in WV??? ) can affect the calculation. The actual, gen-you-wine geocenter of WV is actually off the beaten path in the Elk River Wildlife Management Area very close to this sign. I heard the Park Ranger will show you where it's at. Unfortunately, I did not have time that day to make the side-trip, as I was already running late getting back to work. Maybe when it warms up out of the 20s, I'll ride back down and add that photo to this post.

Geographic Center Historic Sign.

The money shot. Sekalilagi (on the Ulysses) and I did a team tag. Not a real scenic spot. It's on kind of a busy intersection.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 01-03-2009 at 06:10 PM
Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #20
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Old Stone House (Monongalia County)

Old Stone House
It is funny how ubiquitous these signs are and, by some, handily ignored. I park by this sign regularly and dine at a restaurant across the street. I used to go by it on my way to buy 'last minute' project parts from the (now gone) electronics store next door. And I'm almost certain in years past I've staggered past it as a less-than-sober undergrad. Yesterday, in balmy 26degree weather, I stopped and read it for the very first time.....

When riding through the many small towns in WV, a common theme can often be seen in the buildings that make up each community. Today, the sight would be a church or two, a 'Dollar General', followed by a bar or two (you can tell by the drag strip burnmarks nearby). Bigger towns even get a post office, stop lights come much later. Curiously enough, in its two hundred odd years, this old stone house has been both church and bar. Around here, it seems though business come and go, people remember them by their former lives. (I work in the 'old Harley Store' in Fairmont)

There's a quaint gift store in it these days, the kind that fits nicely in a historic old building. The store is staffed by volunteers from the the Service League of Morgantown, a local charitable organization.

This marker can be found in the National Register of Historic Places in WV. Links to map with marker location and a general map with other markers.
3937′49″N 7957′26″W

My apologies for the crappy cell phone pics, I brought the 'real' camera but it froze.

sekalilagi screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 07:23 AM
sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oak Mounds - Clarksburg, Harrison Co.

It was a beautiful afternoon here Sunday (Nov 23), so I headed out around Clarksburg to locate a few of the Historical Markers around town.

Just south of Clarksburg on Rt 98 by the VA Hospital (see next post) lies an area of old Indian burial mounds. The Harrison County Historical Society meeting in the Fall of 1985 recorded the following:

"In 1969 the staff of the history department of Salem College had the permission to enter Oak Mound south of Clarksburg to search for Indian artifacts. They removed many human bones. Late in August [1985], all bones removed in 1969 will be reinterred at Oak Mound. The name of the mound will be recorded in "West Virginia Historic Spots." To correct errors in the present highway marker near Oak Mound, a new highway marker will be erected."

I want to research this some more, and will add photos of the actual mounds as soon as I can locate them (the offices are closed on Sunday to get directions). There are numerous small hills in the surrounding area - hard to tell the difference between natural and man-made.

New-style sign, erected in 1985. Original text was modified after excavations in 1969.

A view looking west on Rt 92 at the sign (across from the VA Hospital).

Edit: 3 Jan 2009 - After speaking to the county historian, I found the "mound". Read on ......

About a mile away from the first sign is this Oak Mound sign, located on Rt 19 on the south edge of Clarksburg, by the Natl. Guard Armory. This was the original text found on the previous marker - before the excavation in 1969.

That's the Natl. Guard Armory in the background. See the church on top of the hill just to the left of the sign? That's where we're going next.

According to the county historian, when the original burial mound was excavated in the 1960s, the church had wanted that property for a parking lot . Well, after they dug up the mound, they moved the pile of dirt over to a new location nearby and made a "replica" burial mound. I have to bite my tongue here because I made the rule back in Post #1 not to judge the actions of others.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 04:38 AM
Old 11-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #22
pnoman OP
Just Average

VA Hospital - Clarksburg, Harrison Co.

The Louis A Johnson VA Medical Center lies on Rt 98 just south of Clarksburg. They recently added a nursing home addition to care for our older veterans. As a retired US Air Force MSgt, I felt I could say "Thanks" to our veterans by volunteering as pianist at the Hospital Chapel on Sunday mornings. It has been very rewarding. I would recommend that anyone wanting to volunteer do so at a VA Hospital - your time will be well spent!

The Historical Marker.

Entrance to the Louis A. Johnson VA Hospital.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 11-29-2008 at 12:47 PM
Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #23
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Scotts Run/First Shack (Monongalia County)

I flunked history; but that was half a lifetime and half a world away. Thanks to pnoman though, maybe redemption is possible. Below is a double-marker, in a way, as each side marks a different landmark.

Between 1899 and 1921 coal production in Mon County rose from 57 thousand tons to 4.4million tons, most of which coming from mines in Scott’s Run. Contrast that with coal production in 2007 of a little over 10 million tons. Enabling that explosive growth were immigrants from 28 nationalities imported from halfway around the world. West Virginia and its identity with coal is without dispute. For me, I had not associated the homogeneity I see with such diversity of cultures. I had always joked that Morgantown was the cosmopolitan highlight to WV, given the University and the students it brings in from around the country (and world). Little did I know that the melting pot has truly done its job. Still though, if you look long enough, there are signs of these roots. Check out the various 'Church Days' around Wheeling and one can quickly get a sense of the broad ethnic pallete that makes up WV. Both the ‘Shack’ and ‘Scott’s Run Settlement House’ were established to provide support to the community after the crash and the Great Depression that followed.

Today, Scott’s Run exists only in
history books with
the 1930s marks the beginning of a long slide into historical obscurity for this once teeming hollow’. Yet, over seven decades later, both the Shack and the Settlement House continue to enrich their communities through diverse social services. Shakespeare wrote ‘The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones’ ; it is a good thing that Mary Behner, paid no heed to such proclamation of men.

This marker is located along US19 just north of Osage.
Links to map with marker location and a general map with other markers.
39.40.0 N, 80.1.3W
For more information
Scotts Run Settlement House
The Shack

State Journal article ’55 Good things about WV’

sekalilagi screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 07:21 AM
sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #24
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
These two pictures were taken on the third day of this ride.

Pendleton County..........Located at the borders of Pendleton and Pocahontas counties on SR 28.

Seneca Rocks.............

Birthplace of Rivers............Also at the borders of Pendleton and Pocahontas counties on SR28.

Little did I know that this 5 day ride would turn out to be so important to me. It came at a perfect time and I enjoyed that perfect time immensley.

Pendleton County.......................is it no wonder the song is titled "Almost Heaven"?

Just GO! screwed with this post 11-24-2008 at 05:39 PM
Just GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #25
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Here's a couple from Sistersville, WV. There is a ferry between here and Fly, OH that is fun to ride. These are very close to the ferry entrance on the WV side:

Here is a link to the WV Marker Site:

http://www.historyquest.com/state/wv...oric_site.html

And here's the story of the discovery of oil in the area: Sistersville grew from 300 to 15,000 people in a short span of time:

http://www.marietta.edu/~crowthes/sishistory.html

And one more link to the story of the discovery of oil in Sistersville:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2ik...result#PPA8,M1

Scroll down a few pages to see a lot of photos taken back then. Looking through the pictures in these links, it's hard to imagine the hordes of folks who flocked into these areas in the past seeking fast wealth. At present, it's a quiet little town on the Ohio River.

For riding in the area, take route 18 south out of Sistersville to Josephs Mills, then 74 south down to Coxs Mills. 47 east to Troy, then 18 back north. Excellent riding!

Solace screwed with this post 11-24-2008 at 01:14 PM
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #26
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,069
Might want to check these ride reports for some WV history, and historical markers:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=rocket+boys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409503
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #27
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Might want to check these ride reports for some WV history, and historical markers:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=rocket+boys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409503
Both are links to excellent reports!! These guys definitely didn't sleep through history class. Heck, they were probably the teachers.

Thanks.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 11-24-2008 at 02:52 PM
Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #28
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Here's one from the border of WV and VA. It describes the origins of WV as a state.

Here's a link for some info:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108289.html

Solace screwed with this post 11-24-2008 at 04:14 PM
Old 11-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #29
mikeinrichmond
Farkleus Maximus

Oddometer: 2,773
This is one heck of an undertaking! Good luck guys!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #30
Solace
Studly Adventurer

You already posted Germany Valley but since I love riding through there I'll throw my pic in too: