ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #31
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Might want to check these ride reports for some WV history, and historical markers:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=rocket+boys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409503
Outstanding reports! what inspiration

For those of you also motivated to learn more... I just discovered that a good number of issues from the journal 'West Virginia History' is available to read on-line. here
Don't be put off by the index listing, it is more thorough than the referring pages. Naturally this could all be 205, for which I do apologize.

sekalilagi screwed with this post 11-24-2008 at 08:59 PM
sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #32
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Hawk's Nest

Markers at Hawk's Nest....US60 at Hawk's Nest State Park

This one is located at the start of the foot trail that leads to the overlook...........

At the overlook...........
Old 11-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #33
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,043
Jackson Cemetery - Clarksburg, Harrison Co

I've passed by this marker a million times but never stopped to read it. It's about a mile from my house, and next to it is a large playground. I never noticed that back behind the playground is the cemetery. Lt Gen Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson's father (Jonathan Jackson) is buried here. Also buried here are the sister and mother of Dolly Madison, wife of President James Madison. I tried to find some historical info to share on Jonathan Jackson, but came up dry. You historians out there are free to add a note or PM me and I'll add it this post. Thanks.

Location: East Pike St about 1 mile east of downtown Clarksburg (Just east of the old Polish Catholic Church). Look for the playground.

Historical Marker

View of the sign and cemetery from across the street. (The cemetery is back behind the playground about 200 feet from the road)

The cemetery from the back side looking out toward the road. In need of some TLC.

Obviously a newer headstone for Stonewall Jackson's father.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 11-25-2008 at 05:15 PM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #34
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

201st Infantry/Field Artillery (Monongalia County)

The 201st Field Artillery Regiment is the oldest active National Guard Unit in the country. First activated in 1735, with soldiers serving in the American Revolution clear to deployment in Iraq. It is a little belated for Veteran's Day, but we owe much to our servicemen whose sacrifice allow us to enjoy our way of life. BTW the tank in the background is Walker Bulldog M41 that first saw service in Korea against the Soviet T34. I recall building the M41 model as a kid. Quite the treat to see it up close. More pics of this particular tank here. This marker is located at the intersection of Chestnut Ridge and Willowdale Rd in Morgantown.
Links to map with marker location and a general map with other markers.

sekalilagi screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 08:25 AM
Old 11-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #35
Jamie870
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Hatfied Cemetary Marker Sara Ann WV

Jamie870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #36
pnoman OP
Just Average

My Hometown - Clarksburg, Harrison Co.

Located in north-central WV at the junction of I-79 and Rt 50, Clarksburg was once a thriving coal and glass town. Peaking in 1950 with a population of 32,000, the population dropped to half that in 2000. Most of the population shift was 5 miles east to Bridgeport, which used to be a quiet suburb of Clarksburg. Now, Bridgeport is the busy town with malls, hotels, new housing developments, etc., while Clarksburg slowly fades into the shadows. The downtown was once filled with dime stores, restaurants, department stores, clothing stores, furniture stores, and 2 movie theatres (the Ritz and the Robinson-Grand) which have all closed.

Famous Clarksburgers include Cyrus Vance, who was the Secretary of State under President Jimmy Carter, opera singer Phyllis Curtain, and Lt Gen Stonewall Jackson (see earlier post with his own Historical Marker) And, of course, ME!

For more reading about Clarksburg, click here for Wikipedia.

Historical Marker - County Courthouse Square, 3rd and Main St.

A view of the courthouse square.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 11-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #37
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie870

"Jamie870"....... you sound like someone I should know.

Just GO! screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 01:26 PM
Just GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #38
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

WVa's First Governor...located at Market and 3rd streets behind the stately Wood Co. Courthouse.

The flip side of the same marker......Parkersburg Governors......

Some buildings in the general area.................courthouse reflected in the glass of the Public Debt building............

Wood Co. Courthouse..........

The Historical Blennerhassette Hotel................

Nice day for riding...............

Did you ride today, Jamie?

Just GO! screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 01:26 PM
Old 11-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #39
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

At the Memorial Bridge in Parkersburg.

Flip side looking back towards Ohio.......

The Memorial bridge crosses the Ohio River between Parkersburg, WV and Belpre, OH.

Just GO! screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 01:30 PM
Old 11-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #40
Jamie870
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
[quote=Just GO!]WVa's First Governor...located at Market and 3rd streets behind the stately Wood Co. Courthouse.

Some buildings in the general area.................courthouse reflected in the glass of the Public Debt building............

Wood Co. Courthouse..........

The Historical Blennerhassette Hotel................

Nice day for riding..............except for the hords of XMas shoppers.

[QUOTE]
Did you ride today, Jamie?

Big Negative on the ride, I havent been out for a couple of weeks, my days off have been spent either watchin it snow..or huntin'...
Jamie870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 AM   #41
pnoman OP
Just Average

Helvetia - Randolph Co.

Many of you are familiar with Helvetia because of it's most popular landmark - the Hutte Restaurant. I am probably one of the last West Virginians to have not eaten there since I'm not there at mealtime or there was a long line out the door. One day, soon!

(From Wikipedia)

After the end of the Civil War, a group of Swiss and German-speaking immigrants calling themselves the Gruetli Verein formed in Brooklyn, New York. The members agreed that they would all emigrate to another section of the country together when the time was right.
A member of the society named Isler surveyed large swaths of the eastern West Virginia mountains for a Washington-based firm, and reported back to the society on the richness of the country. A committee of six men was assembled, and left Brooklyn by rail on October 15, 1896. They arrived at Clarksburg and began the difficult work of traveling by foot over the mountains.
They reached a plot that was on offer for sale on October 20, and were disappointed by the extreme thickness of the wilderness in this lightly settled and rugged country. The land was very reasonably priced, though, and they had offers of other assistance from the land agents in Clarksburg if they would encourage further settlement in the area. After hearing the report of this exploration, the society members all decided they would go to West Virginia.
Because of the low cost of the land, all of the settlers were able to buy their own tracts, ranging from a small house lot to hundreds of acres. One hundred acres were set aside at the center of the community and laid off into lots, which were sold to skilled tradesmen as an incentive.
At the beginning of 1871, there were thirty-two people living in the community. A new arrival in that year, C.E. Lutz, became the local land agent and wrote advertisements in English and German for papers across the country extolling the virtues of the settlement. New settlers came from various parts of the United States and Canada, and some immigrated directly from Switzerland.In addition to farmers and herdsmen, many craftsmen and professionals were among the settlers: stone masons; carpenters; painters; wagon, shoe, watch, hat, and cheese makers; musicians; teachers; ministers; and doctors. By 1874 the community's population had grown to a heady 308. (End of Wikipedia quote)

See the Wikipedia article for a list of fairs and festivals in this interesting town.

CR 46 passes through Helvetia, heading east from just below French Creek (where it starts out as CR 11) and continuing east (where it joins CR 46 and continues on to Mill Creek) is a great ride. It's a narrow, twisty road with lots of hidden driveways and slow traffic (sometimes), but if you take your time it's a road you will want to re-visit often.

Historical Marker - located by the Community Center on CR46

Community Hall - site of the Community Fair in September - just like a county fair with food and craft exhibits and blue ribbons.

View down "Main St". Nice quiet town.

Town Library and historical center (lots of old photos and memorabilia)

The Hutte - Swiss/German Restaurant. I've heard many people talk about the great food, but my timing is bad - I'm either passing through at 2:30, running late, or there is a long line out the door (City Fair). It's on my list of "must do's."

** NOTE - The WV Historical Marker website lists a second identical sign down by the Hutte. I missed that one, if someone else is going by and wants to add it.......... Thanks.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 01:47 PM
Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #42
J-Rock!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Im so glad i can Chime in on this,, Ill get to taking some picures after my surgery on WED. I know where theres a bunch of these,, is there really 700 in the state?
J-Rock! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #43
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rock!
Im so glad i can Chime in on this,, Ill get to taking some picures after my surgery on WED. I know where theres a bunch of these,, is there really 700 in the state?
Glad to have you join the fun! Hope your surgery goes well on Wednesday.

Yup, there are 700+. Click on the link back in Post #1, and you can read about the history of the markers. There's also a link to a complete list of the original signs and which ones are missing. Over 1,000 were erected, but 30% or so are either moved, torn down, etc. That leaves about 700 or so.

I was surprised, and also ashamed, that I had passed by these signs thousands of times without stopping to find out what they identified. Oh well, better late than never.

Looking forward to your additions to the thread.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 12-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #44
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

West Virginia University

Well it finally quit snowing....so off for my first post-surgery ride!

WVU

ahhh.... my alma mater .... came to Morgantown back in the winter of 85, during the heyday of the Chevy Celebrity and the year the drinking age bumped up to 21. That was back when they didn't close school for the teeniest snow flurry. The old stadium was still about and I certainly fell more than once on the slippery, icy steps around stadium loop!
Here's a bit of trivia, freshman enrolment this year actually had more out-of-state students than WV resident students! Aside from Mylan Pharmaceuticals and the hospital system, WVU is the industry of Morgantown.

See that austere building in the background? spent many a late, late night up in the 9th floor labs blowing stuff up.

couple of pics from the downtown campus (this is where the pretty girls were, the same ones notably absent from the engineering college)
Oglebay Hall ... took my one and only Psych class

Woodburn Circle ... where I wussed out on foreign languages and took Philosophy instead and now regret it as I might have to learn a little Spanish for work!

This marker is located along US19 (Mon Blvd) immediately south of the intersection with Patterson Drive.
Links to map with marker location and a general map with other markers.

sekalilagi screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 08:28 AM
Old 12-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #45
pnoman OP
Just Average

Simpson Creek Covered Bridge - Harrison Co

Simpson Creek Covered Bridge is located off I-79 at Exit 121 (Meadowbrook Rd). Head west on CR 24 about 1/4 mile, and it's on your left. Turn off the main road like you are heading into the State Police Barracks.

Historical Marker.

View from South entrance. The front facing extends out at the top, making it appear like it is falling over from this angle. (Don't worry, it's not)

Inside photo. There is a picnic bench inside if you want to come on a rainy day.

View from the road. Unfortunately, this scenic bridge is stuck in kind of an un-scenic location, just across the road from Toys R Us and the mall entrance. I'd love to see it 50 years ago - bet it was a peaceful setting. Wait, I did see it 50 years ago, but I was only 1 year old.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 12-14-2008 at 06:09 PM