Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,059
Part II: Dockingpilot & NJ Crew Ride TAT West

Part II because we rode the eastern section of the TAT last Sept. Kentucky to the eastern border in Colorado. Excellent ride indeed. A couple of things first, excuse my spelling & grammer, it sucks I know, and quite frankly don't care. 2nd, I'd like to that Mark Sampson and Chuck "Ayroshark" for their insight, it helped us avoid screwups, bailouts and no-go's. Chuck, your 3 time TAT experience and advise was priceless and spot on. OK, on with the show as they say. I'll do this by state with a nice video of each at the end taken from my POV1.

We planned again for a early Sept. ride and we were 100% correct on this. The weather for the entire 2,500 miles could not have been better.
In NJ, mid August dropping the bikes at Allied to be shipped out to Trinidad Colorado were we would arrive on Sept.5th

We of course fly out to Colorado Springs

Were we have our ride waiting to take us the 130 miles south to Trinidad, the same town we left off last years TAT East trip and Valcom Motorsports were our steeds are now waiting. Yea, we do it right

As for the riders with me.
Duane "DK Kerzic 08' KTM 530, my close friend. DK is like having a living breathing Multi-Tool with you.
Multi time East Coast Enduro Asso Grand Champion & multi time USA ISDE rider and good friend Bruce "Redcorn" Kenny 07' KTM 950 Super Enduro
John "Boy" Pitts, a better guy to have on a trip there is not. 08' KLR 650
Prior Baja rider & good friend Jody Villa who will ride with us to Richfield Utah. 07' BMW X-Challenge
Meeting us in Trinidad and will ride with us to Green River Utah is my fellow Husky rider Dennis Spanker DeMarco. 08' Comp. Damp-"less" Husky 610
And lastly my good friend from Idaho Falls would ride his KLR down from there, leaving a week ahead of time and camp along the way, is celebrity outdoorsman and western backroad, byway expert, Tony Huegel. If it's a dirt road and it's out west, he either knows it or made it, if you doesnt know it, well it doesnt exsisit then . Tony would roundevous with us in Salida Colorado.
Oh, and myself of course, 07' Husky 610
Every bike had a loaded GPS and we would spread ourselves out on this trip. No obbical cord (Doc ?) needed on this journey. You could ride solo for the day if you wanted. Now sit back and I'll take you all the way to Oregon.
Our first meal and evening in Trinidad on the trip. Mexican. John looks half in the bag already (midship on the left)

We head out for Salida

Boy is this gonna be good !

Breakfast at our 1st fuel stop

We arrive 248 miles later in Salida where we link up with Tony

The 2 Huskies team up for the day. Salida to Lake City

We're now climbing and in awe at the vistas

Me

Jody

Tony

Bruce

John

Dennis

Relaxing in Lake City. Really nice town. We stayed at the Matterhorn. Yes, recomended.

On the way to dinner we give the salute

AM departure. Lower 30's. Here's Bruce fueling up his thirsty 950. Next stop Montecello Utah

Up & Over !

John boy

Tony twisting the throttle

Animas Forks

Ophir Pass

This driver had a bad day

We decended out of the San Juans and crossed into Utah unscathed.

Colorado was breathtaking and Utah will not disappoint. But if it's really remote, old west you want, stay tuned for Nevada

Colorado video clip as promised. Hope ya like John Denver

UP NEXT: UTAH

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 11-25-2008 at 05:45 PM
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote