Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Avispao OP
Hornet 900 Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Tour through England, Wales, Scotland and France. Summer 2008

Tue. July 2008, 15th

4 days before departure, my bike was involved in two different accidents when she was parked at my job. As a result, her windshield was broken, and also the clock spheres. As fast as i can, as it was thursday and the weekend was threatening us, i could buy a new windshield in Barcelona through internet -which came on monday, while we were goint to leave on tuesday-, and i could repair the clock spheres with Sikaflex. BUFF, We were really scared!.

At 8am we left Oviedo to Santander, where the ferry to Plymouth was. There were a lot of brits waiting for going home in the ferry esplanade. We were the only spaniards in the bikers queue.

The travel in the Pont Avon is a bit boring, and i advice you, if your budget can afford it, take a room! If not, you always can sleep in the floor of the common room as us, but it's not very comfortable.

We. July 2008, 16th.

After a long boring and restless night, we reached Plymouth. An ancient vessel saluted us in the bay.

As soon as you desembark you have a roundabout, just to remember you where you are. OK, fine, let's change the chip. We cross Plymouth following the GPS to get the A38. After Exeter we left the highway to Honinton to enter Dorset. It was our first contact with english roads, and it resulted me very demanding. The lanes are narrow, with walls in its sides, you have steel lids in the middle of the lane, and that coast had a lot of traffic which delayed us a lot. In the other part, the scenery is good, specially that houses with that grass-made roofs (here in my region we have some very similar). I was stupid and didn't make any pic of that.

Anyway, we reached Cerne Abbas to see the Giant.

We left the Giant guarding his sheeps and went to Sherborne in our way to Stonehenge. We didn't know a word about Sherborne, but it has a splendid cathedral, so we stopped a moment to see it.

Finally, we got to Stonehenge, about 3p.m. We eated our sandwiches while this bird was watching us. This bird doesn't exist in Spain, i think.

Did i say we were late? From Stonehenge the TomTom send us north to Melkham and Chippenham to get the M4 to Wales. We delayed more and more in that narrow roads. I like that roads, but in that case i would sacrifice them for going faster. I'm terrible convinced that going through Warminster-Bath was much better than TomTom idea.

As we were late we couldn't stop to see the amphitheater of Caerleon, near NewPort. And we passed a really large queue near Cardiff between cars. I don't know if it's allowed/well seen in UK, but we did it. In any case we reached Caerphilly too late to enter its impressive castle.

We had booked a room in a Travelodge in St.Clears (for only 19£!), so we stopped to eat something in a McDonalds and reached the hotel about 10pm. After a bad night and a long journey (530km) we were really tired.
Avispao is offline   Reply With Quote