ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
Dirtysouth OP
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,873
Charleston?

Does anyone know of any areas to check out in the charleston area. A coworker and I are wanting to take a trip to charleston in september and was curious to know if there was some places of interest, you know scenery/dirt roads to check out? Nothing to technical, as I will want to get my bike back home in one piece, I can just hear my wife now if I was to call her and say, can you come and pick me up? Also we will be travelling from Cartersville, Ga. which is north of atlanta on I-75 and was wondering if there were any other routes to get to charleston other than major interstates?
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,558
SC or WV?
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
porterfish
Debaser

Oddometer: 2,530
ride 17 to savannah
porterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Dirtysouth OP
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,873
charleston

that would be south carolina, sorry I didn't know that west virginia had a charleston. i don't get out much.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,090
Charleston, SC

Charleston is full of things to see - museums, War of Northern Aggression historical sites, Reveloutionary War historical sites, old homes, etc. As for dirt roads, the Francis Marion National Forest is just north of Charleston, and has a public mkotorcycle riding area near Awendaw (intersection of US-17 and SC-10). But, and this is a big but, I heard that Hurricane Charley did a lot of damage in the notional forest and the trails may be blocked. About you route plans: the roads from Augusta to Charleston tend to be flat and straight. The scenery is nice is spots with tree covered roads and older homes along the way. US 78 or 278 are your choices out of Augusta with US 78 being the more direct route.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,960
there's forest roads north of I20 (in SC) in the Sumter Natl Forest & in Francis Marion Natl Forest north of Charleston.

lots of real OHV trails are currently closed due to heavy rain damage.

have fun in the hot, flat, swampy, wet coastal plain (BTDT..grew up on the coast ... yechhhhhh)
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:44 AM   #7
PeteSC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
From Augusta, you can take I-520 and exit on HWY 28...take that into SC. It joins up with US 278. From 278, take 125 south through the Savannah River Plant to Allendale, take US 301 North a bit, and jump on Hwy 641 towards Walterboro. You can jump on I 95 when you cross it, and run north to 26....or continue into Walterboro and pick up 17A, or 64...to get to Charleston. I used to ride to CHS often when my elderly parents still lived there...and hated to jump on the interstate. This route has modest traffic.....is 'semi' scenic, and I used to open the throttle up a bit on 641.
I used to ride on the fire roads in the Francis Marion Nat forest 30 years ago...but can't help you out with anything current!
Plenty of tourist stuff to do in Charleston. Depends on what you're interested in.....
PeteSC is offline   Reply With Quote