ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #46
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,696
I've been driving past that bridge for 15 years on the way to the Harrison Power Plant in Shinnston and didn't even notice it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #47
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker
I've been driving past that bridge for 15 years on the way to the Harrison Power Plant in Shinnston and didn't even notice it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Thanks - I'm finding a lot of interesting historical landmarks that have been right under my nose half of my life, and I never bothered to "stop and smell the roses" until now. Speaking of Shinnston, see my next post. (I rode up there this afternoon)
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #48
pnoman OP
Just Average

Levi Shinn House, Shinnston WV - Harrison Co

The Levi Shinn Family: The settlement of Shinnston dates to the building of Levi Shinn's log house in 1778. The Levi Shinn log house is the oldest standing structure in North Central West Virginia at over 229 years old. The house, which still stands today along US Route 19, is maintained by the Shinnston Historical Association and is sometimes open to the public.

Read more on the city of Shinnston History web site - click here.

Historical Marker located on the south side of Shinnston along Rt 19. Tomahawk Rights???

The Levi Shinn House.

View from Rt 19.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 12-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #49
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Nice day for a ride

Thanks to fellow ADV-rider WRrioR, together we 'toured' about Mon and Marion counties today in search of the historical markers. Here's a preview click here... we've some writing to do! Not only does the guy know where these signs are...he is also superb at extricating fallen bikes from the snow.

BTW the Prickett's Fort sign is missing....we looked pretty hard for it. There appears to be a case that it might've been in at one time but no longer.

sekalilagi screwed with this post 12-14-2008 at 07:31 PM
sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:05 AM   #50
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekalilagi
Thanks to fellow ADV-rider WRrioR, together we 'toured' about Mon and Marion counties today in search of the historical markers. Here's a preview click here... we've some writing to do! Not only does the guy know where these signs are...he is also superb at extricating fallen bikes from the snow.

BTW the Prickett's Fort sign is missing....we looked pretty hard for it. There appears to be a case that it might've been in at one time but no longer.

Sekalilagi,

Hey! We almost bumped into each other. I went up Rt 19 to Enterprise to get the Harrison/Marion Co. sign. Not too far from Monongah.

I know a guy who has lived just a couple miles on the other side of Prickett Fort all his life, so I'll ask him about the sign. He has driven the PF road every day for the past 70 years.

Looking forward to your report. I'll have about 6 more posted soon. Gotta do my homework first, though.

Hope your Ulysses wasn't hurt. "Holy One-Man-Bike-Show, Batman, how many bikes do you own?!?!?"
www.RidingWV.com
Old 12-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #51
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

hey pnoman.... we must have been wandering about the same area. The fall was silly error on my part, misjudged how close to the ditch I was and just how soft the ground was. Scratched the lens on the turn signal, fortunately the Buell bits are reasonably priced. I think the entire assembly is $11. I'll get cracking on the writing! Meantime, check this out...what do you think?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #52
pnoman OP
Just Average

Harrison & Marion County Line - Rt 19

Located on Rt 19 about 1 mile north of Enterprise at the Harrison / Marion County line. (**NOTE - The WV Historical Marker Website lists this sign as Missing**)

Harrison County was created in 1784, formed from Monongalia County and named for Benjamin Harrison V, a Virginian who was the father of William Henry Harrison, the ninth President and great-grandfather of Benjamin Harrison, twenty-third President. County Seat is Clarksburg. (More from Wikipedia)

Marion County was created in 1842 from parts of Monongalia and Harrison Counties, and named in honor of General Francis Marion, of American Revolutionary War fame, known in history as "The Swamp Fox." County Seat is Fairmont. (More from Wikipedia)

Southbound on Rt 19 entering Harrison County. (It looks like someone took a saw and cut off the lower portion of this sign)

Northbound on Rt 19 entering Marion County.

Looking northbound into Marion County.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 12:46 PM
Old 12-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #53
pnoman OP
Just Average

Enterprise - Harrison Co

Enterprise (pop 939) is located along Rt 19 north of Shinnston, just south of the Marion County line. Click here for Wikipedia information.

Rt 19 north of Clarksburg is a pleasant ride, but can be interrupted by large trucks going slowly (or on your butt - there doesn't seem to be a middle ground) and with lots of hidden entrances and businesses.

Historical Marker. Located along Rt 19 at junction of CR 19-2. I looked for the McIntire Blockhouse for 30 minutes before finally finding one of the 939 habitants of this fine community. He informed me they tore the blockhouse down about 10-15 years ago. Mystery solved.

From the "History of Harrison County" by Henry Haymond:

In May, 1791, as John McIntire and his wife were returning to their home about two miles above the mouth of Bingamon Creek, in what is now Clay District, they passed through the yard of Uriah Ashcraft, and in a short time after Mr. Ashcraft startled by the sudden growling and springing up of one of his dogs, stepped quickly to the door to see what had aroused him. lie had hardly reached the door when he espied an Indian on the outside with his gun presented. Closing and making fast the door, he ascended the stairs that he might better fire on the intruder, and after snapping his gun several times and discovering that there were other Indians in the yard he raised a loud shout to apprise those who were within the sound of his voice that he was surrounded by danger. Upon this the Indians moved off and three brothers of John McIntire coming to his relief they all pursued the trail of the savages.
About a mile from Ashcraft's they came upon the body of John Mclntire tomahawked, stripped and scalped, and concluded that Mrs. McIntire had been taken prisoner. They sent intelligence to Clarksburg.

It was here first ascertained that Mrs. McIntire had been killed, her scalp being found among the things abandoned by the Indians. Her body was afterwards found a short distance from where that of her husband had been previously discovered.

View northbound on Rt 19 at Enterprise. CR 19-2 is about 50 yards north and to the right.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #54
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Marion County/Monongalia County

I spent a decade living in quiet, sleepy and mostly tranquil Grant Town. However, to get to either Morgantown or Fairmont required a commute on secondary highways. Entering Marion County on US19, you will see this marker on your left. It hardly ever got my attention as I was busy regaining consciousness after holding my breath on the pretty set of twisties coming up the hill. Perched on top of this hill is also the water tower to the Greater Paw Paw Sanitation District who happily charged me double for sewage than what I paid for tap water. Marion County once thrived on the labor of coal miners, mostly evident in Fairmont, the county seat. Anyway, if you happen to be riding north or south bound on US19, be careful on this stretch. There is little room for error, coal trucks still rule the day and there are numerous washouts from driveways draining over the road. There is sometimes a state trooper located on the downhill stretch past Arnetssville but he is mostly there to keep an eye for the liquored-up drivers in the wee hours of the morning. (there are a number of watering holes between Morgantown and Rivesville) Travelling southbound, the grins you had ascending the hill to the sign transition to gentle sweepers as driveways come increasingly frequent. Slow down as you pass Bub's (not sure what it is called these days) and you won't miss the ice-falls that are common in the winter; it also keeps you in good standing with the local police officer in Rivesville (just round the bend). I'll save the yammering about Mon County for the next marker.

You will see this marker traveling southbound on US19 here
Some nearby markers here.
Ran across a good site for some marker data (GPS coords) here

sekalilagi screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 07:51 PM
Old 12-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #55
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 29,482
cool idea

you may have more than 700

check out http://www.historicmarkers.com/West%20Virginia/
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #56
WRrioR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
great trip, Ken

I think the stop in monongah, seeing the memorials to the mine disaster, was most interesting part. That and the West Virginia crossiant break. (pepperoni rolls). There is a new bronze bell in the valley at Monogah. It was cast in a region of Italy and sent over by the locals as a memorial to the dead from the mine. Apparently, that particular region and town in Italy is from where a good portion of those miners originated.

It's amazing: i've really never stopped to read what is actually written on these signs. There is some interesting history in this great state of ours. I had no idea what i was going to learn by stopping and reading these, but, i'm sure glad i did.
WRrioR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #57
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree completely on the site in Monongah, it is quite sobering. It didn't even occur to me as we ate those rolls at the Exxon how that was a uniquely Fairmont thing. There used to be a place (chunky joes?) in Baxter that had amazingly fresh pepperoni rolls daily.

aaah evidently I had not searched hard enough! good resource!

sekalilagi screwed with this post 12-15-2008 at 07:55 PM
Old 12-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #58
pnoman OP
Just Average

Saltwell - Harrison Co

Saltwell is located on Rt 131 midway between I-79 Exit 125 and Shinnston to the west. Nice curvy road - pleasant scenery. Too bad it's only about 8 miles long before ending at the Interstate.

Historic Marker.

View down the road - Rt 131 eastbound. This is about all there is to Saltwell nowadays.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #59
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,808
wow...this freaks me out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Enterprise (pop 939) is located along Rt 19 north of Shinnston, just south of the Marion County line. Click here for Wikipedia information.

Rt 19 north of Clarksburg is a pleasant ride, but can be interrupted by large trucks going slowly (or on your butt - there doesn't seem to be a middle ground) and with lots of hidden entrances and businesses.

Historical Marker. Located along Rt 19 at junction of CR 19-2. I looked for the McIntire Blockhouse for 30 minutes before finally finding one of the 939 habitants of this fine community. He informed me they tore the blockhouse down about 10-15 years ago. Mystery solved.

From the "History of Harrison County" by Henry Haymond:

In May, 1791, as John McIntire and his wife were returning to their home about two miles above the mouth of Bingamon Creek, in what is now Clay District, they passed through the yard of Uriah Ashcraft, and in a short time after Mr. Ashcraft startled by the sudden growling and springing up of one of his dogs, stepped quickly to the door to see what had aroused him. lie had hardly reached the door when he espied an Indian on the outside with his gun presented. Closing and making fast the door, he ascended the stairs that he might better fire on the intruder, and after snapping his gun several times and discovering that there were other Indians in the yard he raised a loud shout to apprise those who were within the sound of his voice that he was surrounded by danger. Upon this the Indians moved off and three brothers of John McIntire coming to his relief they all pursued the trail of the savages.
About a mile from Ashcraft's they came upon the body of John Mclntire tomahawked, stripped and scalped, and concluded that Mrs. McIntire had been taken prisoner. They sent intelligence to Clarksburg.

It was here first ascertained that Mrs. McIntire had been killed, her scalp being found among the things abandoned by the Indians. Her body was afterwards found a short distance from where that of her husband had been previously discovered.

View northbound on Rt 19 at Enterprise. CR 19-2 is about 50 yards north and to the right.

7 generations back, on my mothers side, originally emmigrating from Canada into Ohio (not sure if he came to Canada from Scottland/Ireland prior) was a John Mc Intire.... he, along with 4 other families settled in the north coast of Ohio at the time, and gave name to this region as "The Black Swamp".
The land was all divided up, I believe from Toledo, to Geneva, and over the years was sold off. The last of many individual parcels/properties were sold off by my mothers father, again a John McIntire, which included land from Trumbull in the north, to Mesopotamia in the south, and from Montville on the west, to New Lyme on the east...an area encompasing almost 200 sq miles, granted it was not all his, but a major portion still remained in the family to be sold off. He was an inventor, engineer (as was the first John I speak of) , and lived a very fruglal simple life, those acres sold for mere pennies. I do not have the original book in my posession currently, I returned it to my sister for safe keeping, but there was a book written documenting the history of these 4 families entitled "The four Families of The Black Swamp". The only other family name that comes to mind was the Caldwell family (who made their way south in Ohio, settling and originating a city of that name). I do not recall John's demise in the book, but I must admit it was pretty boring reading for me as a child (ahh what we find now to be valuable...) but there was a sepia toned photograph stuck in the book, with his and his wifes names and a date on the back.. again, I don't recall the date, but I am sure it was circa this similar time period.
Creepy part #2, his wife was an Indian squaw, big head, very gnarly looking, and he was a tall man in his 50's (I would suppose) , as he was sporting a full head of white hair, and awesome monsterous mutton chop sideburns.... I was always so impressed by that look that I grew mine in the same manner in my senior year of high school, and when I got flack for it, I brought the photo in and handed it to them, explaining it was a family thing...

I will have to get my hands on this book, and find out if it relates to the same person... hmmmm small world.
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #60
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
I went for a ride yesterday that took me into West by God Virginia. I saw this marker at the state line and remembered this thread. I went back and clicked a shot of both sides of the marker. Not glamorous by any means, but I guess we have to get the vanilla signs, too, in order to get them all. Here's the marker at the state line on RT 340 between Berryville, Va. and Charlestown, W.V.

Heading into WV, you will read:

Am I mistaken, or is someone of Scotland referred to as a Scot? Scotch, I believe, is a nectar preferred by the Gods and people who don't put ketchup on steak.

The flip side, heading south on 340.

I wish I could pontificate on the historical, social and / or civil significance of this here marker, but I'm afraid I'm just too ignorant to add more. Kinda self expanatory.

vatrader01 screwed with this post 12-23-2008 at 03:26 PM
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote