ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2004, 06:17 AM   #1
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,417
VA to NJ via WV?

I'm in NoVA at the moment, stopped by to see some friends on my way back to NJ from NC. I always hear about these great roads in WV, but was wondering if anyone could give me some guidence on the must rides. I'm in Warrenton (actually closer to Gainseville) now.

Thanks in advance for any input.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
I'm in NoVA at the moment, stopped by to see some friends on my way back to NJ from NC. I always hear about these great roads in WV, but was wondering if anyone could give me some guidence on the must rides. I'm in Warrenton (actually closer to Gainseville) now.

Get to the 7-11 on 340 and you can hook up with some NOVA riders...hurry.

Take 211 to 522 and 522 to 340 South at Front Royal the 7-11 is down on your right just before the entrance to skyline drive.

Hurry......
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe

Two of the nicest roads in eastern West Virginia are Rt 33 heading west out of Harrisonburg, VA (running all the way to Seneca Rocks) and Rt 250 heading west from Stauton, which is a bit farther south from you. If I was coming out of Warrenton, I'd take 211 west, over the Blue Ridge and thru Luray. About 8 miles past Luray and at the foot of the Massanutten, take a left on 340 and head down to Elkton. Right on Rt 33 thru Harrisonburg and out the other side. Follow 33 all the way thru Franklin, to Seneca Rocks climbing area. You'll go up and down two major valleys and ridgelines. Well worth the trip. If you have time, park at the base of Seneca Rocks and hike to the top observation deck. (about 45 minutes ~ 1.5 miles?, but several hundred feet elevation climb) The views from up there are fantastic.

From there, you can take 55 north to 220 in Petersburg. Follow 220 north to Rt 50 at Junction, then take 50 east back to Winchester, Va on I-81. You could head home from there. The 55/220 route is not that fantastic, but it takes you in the right direction to head home.

Or you can continue on 33 west to Harman, then north on 32 and ride thru the Canaan Valley where the RA National will be held in a few weeks. Then work your way up to 50 and head back east to the interstate.

33 is a nice taste of W Va. But if you have the time, go south to Stauton, take 250 west to 220, then north on 220 to Franklin, and jump on 33 there. Staunton is only about 27 miles south of Harrisonburg on I-81. Now that is a beautiful loop.

Good riding!

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:09 AM   #4
MattS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
http://www.bmweast.com/routefiles/wv2nj.gdb
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,417
Bummer. I have no way to load a route file to the GPS here. I could pack a data cable, but I don't know if my friend would get in to me installing Mapsource on his computer :) Any chance you could cut and paste the turn by turn?

I think I was on 250 for a brief time yesterday. I basically came up 81 from my relatives in TN, cut over to the base of Skyline Drive in Waynesville, and went up to Front Royal. Going back down there would add quite a bit to my ride home.

I would have loved to gone riding with the VA crowd, but I had a few obligations this morning with the friends I'm visiting. I'll break out the map here and check out the above roads though. I've heard of Seneca Rocks, but never made the trip out there. Sounds nice.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:10 PM   #6
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Seneca Rocks is nice......if you can find it, ride Smoke Hole Rd.

One of the finest stretches of road I have ever been on.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #7
gbm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Seneca Rocks is nice......if you can find it, ride Smoke Hole Rd.

One of the finest stretches of road I have ever been on.
Of course if you want to take a shot at a technical road, pretty too, try going out of your way and hitting WV 72. You guys are all hot shoes. You'll be fine. I'm just overjoyed when I ride that road and live.

If you're on US33, go to Harman, then jump onto WV32 North and go about 7 miles. From that direction WV 72 will intersect on the left.

Good Luck

gbm
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:29 PM   #8
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm
Of course if you want to take a shot at a technical road, pretty too, try going out of your way and hitting WV 72. You guys are all hot shoes. You'll be fine. I'm just overjoyed when I ride that road and live.

If you're on US33, go to Harman, then jump onto WV32 North and go about 7 miles. From that direction WV 72 will intersect on the left.

Good Luck

gbm
Been there done that. 72 is nice, Smokehole is better. DAMHIK

I am just a fat old slow guy.....so what do I know.

The pavement on 72 is more broken and patched. Smokehole was paved for the first time two years ago and is still in baby smooth excellent shape except for a few sinkholes where the bank has sluffed off below the road....

72 is longer, but has more development. Both are worth doing, I prefer Smokehole Rd. My Ducati Monster on the other hand does not.