Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #166
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
[/COLOR]the 70-78 bmw uses one set of points, the 79&80 models uses another. The latter is the sames as a VW aircooled performance disributor called the "050"
the sripes on the wire denote a stiffer spring.

[COLOR=#ffffff](Thx to Wirewrkr)

I have a '76 R60/6 and I'd like to replace the points with a substitute from Auto Zone, Advance Auto, etc. as the BMW parts are a bit spendy. Does anyone know which model VW points will work? Thanks. John
bereahorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #167
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Wirewrkr is correct on the stiffer spring. This calls for more DETAILS!!!!

Ahem. Listen up This regards points and condenser for 1979-80 points style beancan ignition only!

Bosch number 01011 for the points denotes softer spring, greater swing of the points arm, and fibrous material tab that rides on the lobed cam. Comes from VW type 009 distributor.

Bosch number 01030 for the points denotes stiffer spring, less swing of the points arm, and plastic tab that rides the lobed cam and stripes on the wires denoting the nickname "tigertail". It was the high performance points for higher rpm VW type 009 distributor.

Bosch number 02093 (***SEE PART UPDATE BELOW***) for the condensor is also used in
BMW2002(1975 - 1976)
BMW320I(1977 - 1979)
VOLVO1421974
VOLVO142 GL1974
VOLVO1441974
VOLVO144 GL1974
VOLVO1451974

All 3 can be bought from the same place here:
http://www.autohausaz.com/

Also, here's a pic of the old and the new.
Top left is the condensor as they come from BMW. German made. Top right is the brazil part that you get nowadays.

Bottom left is the striped "tiger tail" points. Spring is stiffer. Bottom right spring isn't as stiff, but the throw of the pivot arm is almost twice that of the striped one, and the bracket material that rides the cam is different as I mentioned above.

NEWS FLASH!!! Condenser 02093 has been discontinued by Bosch. Alternate part numbers developing. They're still on shelves, so info above is correct. Alternate Bosch condenser number is 02086. It has a longer wire lead, but I believe will work the same. Still not verified!!!

datchew screwed with this post 08-30-2009 at 09:04 PM
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #168
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereahorn
I have a '76 R60/6 and I'd like to replace the points with a substitute from Auto Zone, Advance Auto, etc. as the BMW parts are a bit spendy. Does anyone know which model VW points will work? Thanks. John

ps. Call Rick @ motorrad electric. He can hook you up. OR, take your points and condensor into your local hippie-run VW shop (only trust the ones run by hippies ) and have them figure out which ones you need.

Be sure to report back so the tribe has this knowledge.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #169
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,776
So is there a difference or dis/advantage with the stiffer spring? And the bigger throw?
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #170
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie
So is there a difference or dis/advantage with the stiffer spring? And the bigger throw?

I should think the stiffer spring would make the points work more accurately at higher rpm's.

The longer throw should allow greater adjustability if you wanted to get creative with your ignition timing. For example, at higher altitudes etc.

ymmv,
Lornce
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #171
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
I should think the stiffer spring would make the points work more accurately at higher rpm's.

The longer throw should allow greater adjustability if you wanted to get creative with your ignition timing. For example, at higher altitudes etc.

ymmv,
Lornce
both sound credible to me. I picked the one with the fiber-composite type cam guide because it seems a more durable material to me. The ONLY time I ever had points fail in 17 years of owning a 66 bug was when that plastic tab got tired and collapsed.

I suspect I'll never go over 6k rpm's or so on my GS, so i'm not too worried.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #172
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie
Those are for the points-in-a-can models, not the earlier style like you have. I've looked into it before and couldn't find after-market replacement points for the earlier airheads. And that was at a very good VW/foreign parts store, though they weren't hippies, I'm afraid. Maybe I shouldn't trust them?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:12 AM   #173
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

That's what I thought too. I've never seen replacement points for the pre-78 models. I still have a couple of NOS points and condensers, and Ithey should last me a lifetime -- specially when I get my ignition booster
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 12-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #174
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
Those are for the points-in-a-can models, not the earlier style like you have. I've looked into it before and couldn't find after-market replacement points for the earlier airheads. And that was at a very good VW/foreign parts store, though they weren't hippies, I'm afraid. Maybe I shouldn't trust them?
That's right. NEVER trust a hippie unless they're working on a volkswagen. And in such case, wait till they're done before you tell them to go take a bath.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #175
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,743
Most hippies have bathed by now.....

Most.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #176
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce

IOW, avoids "points floating". But the gap would also have a lot to do with that.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 12-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #177
meijer's trails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Odyssey PC680 for 98.95 but you have to phone them.

Hi guys, i got an odyssey PC680 for only 98.95 and $7 shipping to new york
from battery mart.com

but the trick is you have to call on the telephone for the special price.

BatteryMart.com
1-800-405-2121
Service@BatteryMart.com
http://www.BatteryMart.com

I hope this can help someone
meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #178
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiPete
The starter relay on my r80g/s started not working Ö
To go on from Peteís post, the starter relay on my project R65 was dead, so I had a run down to my local Electronics suppler and made up one of his piggyback relay adapters Ö

However, when I was fitting the adapter I compared the pin-outs on the new relay with the other relay thatís hiding in there and noticed that they are different. Therefore, Iím going to rig up a second piggyback adapter so that I can use identical relays in both locations Ö and for (AU) $4.00 I might even go mad and carry a spare relay on the bike

I also really like the idea that the piggyback adapter is a neat, but obvious mod that can be easily reversed if the need ever arises.

For what itís worth, Iíve been told that if it werenít for the diode in the relay circuit the neutral light would come on each time you pulled the clutch in Ö
Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #179
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
The oil pressure switch on the G/S is interchangeable with NAPA p/n: OP6065.

It looks a little different, but the threads are the same and Nathan at Boxerworks said it's what he puts in all the bikes in the shop.

He said there are 3 different types of pressure switches used by BMW. I don't know about any substitutes for the other 2 switches.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #180
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
The oil pressure switch on the G/S is interchangeable with NAPA p/n: OP6065.

It looks a little different, but the threads are the same and Nathan at Boxerworks said it's what he puts in all the bikes in the shop.

He said there are 3 different types of pressure switches used by BMW. I don't know about any substitutes for the other 2 switches.
bgood. Brother, check the first post. We already got that one. But thanks for getting in the spirit of tightwaddedness along with us.