User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #316
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Turbine v. Airforce

Since the Turbine replaces the Airforce, as a very satisfied Airforce daily user (in Florida), I'm interested in how this jacket is getting better!

The Airforce has 2 zippered chest vents / pockets and the back can be opened again with a zipper. There are panels of fabric that are breathable. Overall, I'd say well ventilated, and reasonably configurable.

Turbine doesn't seem to have any of the 3 zippered vents. Is the fabric more or less breathable than the Airfoce fabric? What else differs?

What about Turbine price? Airforce started at $299 and is now $259, presumably as it reaches end of life.
Corvette Manuals for sale
sonic578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #317
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,472
Well, you could say TURBINE is evolution of AIRFORCE. It will cost $359.99 when it comes out, and the little price increase reflects the choice of hi-tech materials and armor. Like CAYENNE PRO it will have SAS TEC elbow and shoulder protection, plus Superfabric panels on elbows and shoulders. Chest pockets are gone, collar adjustment has bigger range, collar has hook and loop to prevent flapping in the wind. Bigger reflective stripes on the chest and huge reflective stripe on lower back. It will flow about the same amount of air as AIRFORCE because it uses the same Dynex mesh. The cuffs are a bit wider and cuff velcros are more functional, similar to CAYENNE PRO . Overall the jacket feels like it has a bit looser fit compared to AIRFORCE, it could be that the one that I tried was pre-production sample though, I will know how they fit once I will receive them. Here are a couple of pics

Front view

Rear view. Note the addition of reflection stripe

Superfabric on elbow and shoulder for extra protection, stretch panels on the elbow for extra comfort

Zippered side pockets are nice

I already sold my AIRFORCE as it will be replaced by this jacket. I'm my best customer

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578
Since the Turbine replaces the Airforce, as a very satisfied Airforce daily user (in Florida), I'm interested in how this jacket is getting better!

The Airforce has 2 zippered chest vents / pockets and the back can be opened again with a zipper. There are panels of fabric that are breathable. Overall, I'd say well ventilated, and reasonably configurable.

Turbine doesn't seem to have any of the 3 zippered vents. Is the fabric more or less breathable than the Airfoce fabric? What else differs?

What about Turbine price? Airforce started at $299 and is now $259, presumably as it reaches end of life.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #318
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Nicely evolved! Thanks for the description and pics.

The question (for me) will be flowability. Looking fwd to some warm weather comments. I do like the idea of more flexible elbows / arms. With the liner in especially, mine feels a little confining.

Maybe you should consider opening a Moto Beach East in South Florida so we could actually try this stuff in a store! I think the nearest Revit 'store' is a 6 hr drive up in Tampa.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #319
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,116
Dennis,
any pictures of the pants?
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #320
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

No pictures of the pants yet, but I must tell you they match the jacket is design and construction. They will also come in silver

Dennis

By the way I forgot to mention that TURBINE doesn't come with waterproof lner like AIRFORCE,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Dennis,
any pictures of the pants?

CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 12-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #321
BoochZilla
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Nicely evolved! Thanks for the description and pics.

The question (for me) will be flowability. Looking fwd to some warm weather comments. I do like the idea of more flexible elbows / arms. With the liner in especially, mine feels a little confining.

Maybe you should consider opening a Moto Beach East in South Florida so we could actually try this stuff in a store! I think the nearest Revit 'store' is a 6 hr drive up in Tampa.
I am a big fan of this piece in the upcoming lineup - It fills one of the few remaining unserved riding applications. It really stood out in person as well - its a beautiful as a suit.

The Turbine, however, is as much of an evolution from the Airforce as it is from the Air functionally. At the moment there is no liner (although there have been some internal rumors) so it really homes in on the hot weather riding niche as opposed to having to still serve 3-season conditions like the Airforce did. I am excited that the Turbine has been built with one purpose - to be the top of the food chain for hot weather.

I would wager that even using the same premium mesh as the Airforce, the Turbine will outperform the Airforce in cooling. It won't surprise me if the REV'IT! R & D "imagineers" found a way to maximize the effective cooling performance through jacket design which, for this model, in no way has to perform under any 3-season applications. :-)

The tapered cut as opposed to the unisex box cut is a plus for me. I love textiles which fit more like a leather. We are seeing it more and more and I personally welcome it. And yes, I am sitll wearing the heck out of a Lab as well. The tapered fit does make it more difficult to size a customer on the fly though :-/

Interested to see what WebBikeWorld thinks of it after they get to beat on one this spring!

Good pics btw.

Anthony

'10 Multistrada 1200
'05 Monster S2R

BoochZilla screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 08:04 PM
BoochZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #322
JingJing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
tips on tucking in gauntlets under sleeve cuff?

Well today hubby and I decided to take our bikes out for a short spin. It was 50 degrees and cloudy. I put on my new Kelvin's but quickly took them off - just too darn warm with the Hippo Hands.

Anyways, I need tips on how to get the waterproof liner over the gauntlets as I want the sleeves on the outside of my gloves. So far the best method seems to be to leave the waterproof liner hooked to the the thermal liner but remove them from the outer shell. Then I put this combo on first, tuck the gloves in, and then don the rest of the jacket. Is there a better/faster way? Thanks for any tips.

BTW, it was a good thing I left the waterproof liner in as 20% chance of rain turned into a downpour. Now I know firsthand that the Cayenne Pro suit is very warm and dry in the wet and cold. In fact, I didn't get wet at all. except for a wee bit around my neck. (Dennis, I need a waterproof balaclava..)

The Cayenne Pro suit impresses me more each time I wear it - an excellent commuting suit!
JingJing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:45 AM   #323
nostatic
i drank what?!?

Oddometer: 409
The Turbine looks like it is made of tougher material than my Air. I crash tested an Air back in '06 and it held up OK, but could have been better. I have the '07 version now and it flows an amazing amount of air, but the material is the same as the '06 (this isn't the same jacket as the Airforce, but close I think). I'd like something a bit more robust that'll move the same amount of air. The Off-Track actually is decent in high temps, but mesh rules when it is 100F and you're not moving much...which is too common an occurrence in LA.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:13 AM   #324
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac

By the way I forgot to mention that TURBINE doesn't come with waterproof lner like AIRFORCE,
Bummer. I want that versatility. Less for waterproofing, and, more for windproofing. At that price, that takes the Turbine out of the running, for me.
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #325
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Bummer. I want that versatility. Less for waterproofing, and, more for windproofing. At that price, that takes the Turbine out of the running, for me.
I tend to agree. I know it was said that the Turbine is focused on 1 season, but the liner in my Airforce allows me to cover all 4 seasons here in FL! Not perfectly of course, but what is? I can ride into the low 60's with a liner, then add an LD shirt and get into the 50's. The coldest ride so far this winter was 49, and for that I just added a down vest under.

Back to the Airforce liner... it makes a huge difference with the wind. Of course there's no reason one couldn't use some other liner with the Turbine, or for an Airforce owner, we're all set - just mix 'n match.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #326
nostatic
i drank what?!?

Oddometer: 409
hmmm, maybe Rev'it can reconsider that (though probably too late). I know that I used the liner in my Air jacket on many occasions. Once ambient temps got below 70 or so I found I really needed the liner as it allows so much air through. So I always carried the liner for evenings.

Of course you could just carry a windbreaker to use over or under...
Old 12-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #327
BoochZilla
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Quote:
I tend to agree. I know it was said that the Turbine is focused on 1 season, but the liner in my Airforce allows me to cover all 4 seasons here in FL! Not perfectly of course, but what is? I can ride into the low 60's with a liner, then add an LD shirt and get into the 50's. The coldest ride so far this winter was 49, and for that I just added a down vest under.

Back to the Airforce liner... it makes a huge difference with the wind. Of course there's no reason one couldn't use some other liner with the Turbine, or for an Airforce owner, we're all set - just mix 'n match.
There have been some rumors about a liner for the Turbine, for now I plan on wearing my Digital Mid Layer underneath.

Anthony

'10 Multistrada 1200
'05 Monster S2R
Old 12-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #328
uncreative
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
not having a liner works for me. i looked hard at the air but felt that protection was a little lacking. this new one sounds just like what i was looking for. i have liners from other jackets that i can use if i wanted to.

it would be cool to see some objective testing of protective gear however. it feels like we have to rely too much on marketing to figure out how to best protect ourselves.
uncreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #329
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

Unfortunately unless someone voulonteers to crash test it we will have to rely on broshure information. Normally you can feel the difference between high quality garment and cheap imitation though...

I think the main reason the rain liner will not be included is the cost, the TURBINE would be pushing north of $400 if it was in the package. Since most people buy mesh jackets as strictly hot weather gear it shouldn't be such a big issue.

You have to remember that AIR is entry level jacket that REV'IT! created trying to capture some new cost oriented folks. No wonder the fabrics used in it feel less protective, because they are. AIRFORCE on the other hand is higher end product and the fabrics choice reflects that.

CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 12-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #330
BoochZilla
Metal.Moto.Mania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncreative
not having a liner works for me. i looked hard at the air but felt that protection was a little lacking. this new one sounds just like what i was looking for. i have liners from other jackets that i can use if i wanted to.

it would be cool to see some objective testing of protective gear however. it feels like we have to rely too much on marketing to figure out how to best protect ourselves.
Uncreative,

Have you seen WebBikeWorld.com? They beat on gear, and good or bad, they share their results. They have been doing it for close to a decade.

I am sure you have seen their site, but if you take a deeper dive you should find that they really do share their honest opinion.

Anthony

Anthony

'10 Multistrada 1200
'05 Monster S2R