Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #16
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,044
Same story here. Twice in 1000 miles the engine simply quit and both times at over 3000rpm. The first time I was leaning fairly deep in a corner.... I'm hoping that will have fixed itself by spring thaw. The dealer left me with the impression that they think that it's operator error.

Morning Mike

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #17
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,325
Call you dealer. Many posts over at the F800 site and here on service bulletins in the US and UK for this. One that comes up more often than not is Service Bulletin # 0001307035 System update CD version 9.2 Section 1.2.

I know that both mine and my friends required a lengthy software update prior to delivery. My dealer did do mine and over 2000 miles later from 90 to 25 degrees, no problems.

If a dealer neglected to do that, you might have a problem.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #18
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
During a recent 900 mile trip over the holidays, I encountered heavy thunderstorms and had to ride through. (no exits) My F800 died 3 times on the highway in the down pour when pulling in the clutch to down shift or up shift. The bike would re start every time with the starter button, and I could continue on my way. My bike had 1000 miles at that point and my dealer told me it had the firmware up date prior to delivery. My dealer is contacting bmwna about this problem.
ROYAL COACHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Interesting hasn't happened yet to mine but I have only 50 miles on it due to snow outside.

With this talk about fuel pump I am hoping it is not like my new ski boat. You run the fuel down past 1/4 tank (a 45 gallon tank) and you can kill the fuel pump. I guess the pump is also cooled by the gas and it overheats if you let the fuel level get too low...... silly problem for a new boat (new fuel pump $400).
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #20
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL COACHMAN
During a recent 900 mile trip over the holidays, I encountered heavy thunderstorms and had to ride through. (no exits) My F800 died 3 times on the highway in the down pour when pulling in the clutch to down shift or up shift. The bike would re start every time with the starter button, and I could continue on my way. My bike had 1000 miles at that point and my dealer told me it had the firmware up date prior to delivery. My dealer is contacting bmwna about this problem.
This might be a separate issue.

I have had the same thing happen on an RT and last fall on the ST. The cause was moisture in the sidestand switch, which either a couple operations of the switch or a little WD-40 fixes. For my wife's RT, we replaced the switch and the dealer showed me how to build a cheater cable using the old switch to fake out the relay if it ever failed on the road again - don't think that trick is as simple on the 800's - don't know where the connector for the switch is.

As an aside, that is the reason we went with two way radios many years ago. After finding that my wife wasn't behind me anymore and then being flagged down by a trucker to tell me that she was 10 miles back on the side of the road. She was not happy when I finally got back to where she was.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #21
safd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I had an F800S that did the same thing....a lot. Long story short BMW bought the bike back.
I had hoped that they would fix that problem on the GS's but I guess not.
+1 on going over to the to the F800.org site. They have a bunch of info on it.
safd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
This might be a separate issue.

I have had the same thing happen on an RT and last fall on the ST. The cause was moisture in the sidestand switch, which either a couple operations of the switch or a little WD-40 fixes. For my wife's RT, we replaced the switch and the dealer showed me how to build a cheater cable using the old switch to fake out the relay if it ever failed on the road again - don't think that trick is as simple on the 800's - don't know where the connector for the switch is.

As an aside, that is the reason we went with two way radios many years ago. After finding that my wife wasn't behind me anymore and then being flagged down by a trucker to tell me that she was 10 miles back on the side of the road. She was not happy when I finally got back to where she was.
This may be a separate issue indeed. Mt dealer has therorized that possibly water was getting into the air intakes during extremely heavy rain. What ever the case may be, I hope a solution can be found to cure this problem.
My bike has 1700 miles on the clock as of yesterday and is running smooth as silk.

Did your wife forgive you
ROYAL COACHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #23
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL COACHMAN
This may be a separate issue indeed. Mt dealer has therorized that possibly water was getting into the air intakes during extremely heavy rain. What ever the case may be, I hope a solution can be found to cure this problem.
My bike has 1700 miles on the clock as of yesterday and is running smooth as silk.

Did your wife forgive you
Yup. Many moons latger and we are still together. Her ST, which failed the same way hasn't done it since I started keeping an eye on the switch, it also runs like a top and has 8K on her now.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #24
chunter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
Stupid question, but did you verify that it wasn't a faulty fuel light? Like...how many miles were on the tanks when the bike started acting wonky?

FWIW, I'm of the opinion that you didn't actually "correct the problem"...
When I filled the tank (both times) I added between 2.5 and 3 gallons, so I know that there was fuel in the tank.

chunter screwed with this post 01-19-2009 at 11:24 PM
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #25
jigdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Hmm my 2001 F650 FI did the same thing. Deaaler could never fix it even after three tries. You would think the Feds would want to get involved with this as its a safety issue for sure.
jigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #26
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter
When I filled the tank (both times) I added between 2.5 and 3 gallons, so I know that there was fuel in the tank.

I really do believe that the charcoal canister was somehow flooded with liquid fuel when I layed the bike down in the dirt. As many of the bikes don't have the canister (in other countries), I didn't see it as necessary (actually, I view this part as just another failure point). I have now put another 40 miles on it with no further issues. I spent days working through this, and at this point I will be very supprised if I have any further issues. Time will tell.
Chunter, while I certainly hope your cannister fix works, I am having trouble with two symptoms that I can't explain relative to that solution.

1> If it is the cannister why would the level of fuel in the tank influence the problem?

2> If it is the cannister why would the bike restart almost immediately?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #27
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

My vote is that a faulty sensor in the FI system is intermittently confusing the ECU. Pulling in the clutch drastically changes the engine loading almost instantaneoulsy. Some sensor is reacting to the abrupt chemistry change badly or a combination of sensor inputs lies outside the ECU map. I think it is a software/sensor issue. JMO Has anyone had this problem when running at a fairly constant load? I beleive the fuel management system on the F8 is adaptive i.e. learns from prior operation. When you take the bike back to dealer and the ECU map is reloaded the problem can clear itself temporarily.

Of course, if my theory is correct it means that owners experiencing this problem are screwed.

tmex screwed with this post 01-05-2009 at 10:34 PM
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #28
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,044
Sorry to fizzle your theory but... The first time that mine died I was slowly rolling on the throttle in mid corner and the second time I was steady on the throttle going straight down the road.

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #29
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit
Sorry to fizzle your theory but... The first time that mine died I was slowly rolling on the throttle in mid corner and the second time I was steady on the throttle going straight down the road.
Good input with the "steady as she goes" event. Of course, that could mean all owners of this bike will eventually be screwed.

tmex screwed with this post 01-05-2009 at 10:55 PM
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #30
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
That already happened..... MSRP....... Just kidding..... Not really.
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote