User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,594
Question Slipper Clutch for the F800GS?

You MX types out their I have a question for you regarding the possibility that a slipper clutch might help on the F800GS? My objective would be to improve low speed tractability or getting caught in to high a gear etc. My understanding (I have never ridden a bike with a slipper clutch) would be that below a set RPM the clutch would slip rather than just kill the engine.

I have been caught out three times now having the engine stall (yes operator error) and each time it has been at the most in opportune time of course.

Any info or opinions from those with experience riding with a slipper clutch would be most appreciated.

TIA
Mike
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkspear
You MX types out their I have a question for you regarding the possibility that a slipper clutch might help on the F800GS? My objective would be to improve low speed tractability or getting caught in to high a gear etc. My understanding (I have never ridden a bike with a slipper clutch) would be that below a set RPM the clutch would slip rather than just kill the engine.

I have been caught out three times now having the engine stall (yes operator error) and each time it has been at the most in opportune time of course.

Any info or opinions from those with experience riding with a slipper clutch would be most appreciated.

TIA
Mike
Before you do anything, make sure it won't void the factory warranty...........
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach
Before you do anything, make sure it won't void the factory warranty...........
Don't care about the warranty. Not to sound flip but I don't. I want my bike to perfome like I think it should (if it had lower gear ratios etc.)
Old 01-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Quote:
Don't care about the warranty. Not to sound flip but I don't. I want my bike to perfome like I think it should (if it had lower gear ratios etc.)
Are you racing this bike?

You'll care if the motor blows and it's not your fault.........not to sound flip.
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:

TIA
Mike
The MX ones are made by Rekluse. I had one in my 450 and didn't like it because I couldn't seem to get it adjusted right, but know lots of people that have them and swear by them. In fact, one of my riding buddies on a 950 super enduro has one and loves it. Gives the opportunity for a left hand rear brake as well. (I'd kill myself with one.) I don't know that they make a kit for the 800 though.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert Gerl
The MX ones are made by Rekluse. I had one in my 450 and didn't like it because I couldn't seem to get it adjusted right, but know lots of people that have them and swear by them. In fact, one of my riding buddies on a 950 super enduro has one and loves it. Gives the opportunity for a left hand rear brake as well. (I'd kill myself with one.) I don't know that they make a kit for the 800 though.
Currently they just show one for the KTM990 and the KLR650. I am going to inquire about it and will post what I find out.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach
Are you racing this bike?

You'll care if the motor blows and it's not your fault.........not to sound flip.
No not racing it just trying to get so that when I come up on some technical TAT sections I can have a little more "room" for error.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
No not racing it just trying to get so that when I come up on some technical TAT sections I can have a little more "room" for error.
The bike is definately a bit touchy in really technical stuff. Where I had trouble was getting started again on a loose rocky uphill after dumping my bike. I stalled it out 2 or 3 times before I got it going. Part of it on my end it just getting more seat time with the bike. What I will say is that the Rekluse does help in situations like that. It slips the clutch when the rear wheel starts to lose traction so the bike doesn't spin out from underneath you in hill climb situations. The downside I found was that if the bike did stall it is essentially in neutral, so if you're climbing a hill and don't have time to grab the brakes after the bike stalls you're sliding backwards. Not a real confindence enspiring feeling. They have alot of positives but there are some trades offs as well.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,088
Quote:
The bike is definately a bit touchy in really technical stuff. Where I had trouble was getting started again on a loose rocky uphill after dumping my bike. I stalled it out 2 or 3 times before I got it going. Part of it on my end it just getting more seat time with the bike. What I will say is that the Rekluse does help in situations like that. It slips the clutch when the rear wheel starts to lose traction so the bike doesn't spin out from underneath you in hill climb situations. The downside I found was that if the bike did stall it is essentially in neutral, so if you're climbing a hill and don't have time to grab the brakes after the bike stalls you're sliding backwards. Not a real confindence enspiring feeling. They have alot of positives but there are some trades offs as well.
I'm not a great rider or anything, but why not just slip the clutch on rock hill climbs yourself and maybe gear it a bit lower for the trip?

I have no experience riding a bike as big as a gs offroad, so maybe i don't understand.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
Auto clutch.. not slipper clutch

Keep in mind you're talking about an auto clutch, not a slipper clutch. A slipper clutch is usually found on high HP street bikes or supermotos that allows the clutch to slip from a reverse torque mechanism when deaccelerating and downshifting quickly, preventing the rear wheel from locking up. They make for buttery smooth transistions from on-throttle to chopped throttle-downshift two gears-and quickly release clutch-pitch bike sideways into a corner on a supermoto! Fun!

The auto clutch basically turns the bikes clutch function into something like that of (I don't mean this in a derogatory manner.) a scooter except with gears. I've never ridden one but many people that have them rave about them for off-road stuff. They really excel when it's slippery.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
That first gear definately takes some getting used to. Had to take a street detour at one point for about two miles. Almost all uphill in stop and go, stop sign to stop sign traffic. Pretty well slipped the clutch the whole way. Had me concerned about clutch wear on a new bike. Hopefully, the wet clutch kept that to a minimum.
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ
Keep in mind you're talking about an auto clutch, not a slipper clutch. A slipper clutch is usually found on high HP street bikes or supermotos that allows the clutch to slip from a reverse torque mechanism when decelerating and downshifting quickly, preventing the rear wheel from locking up. They make for buttery smooth transitions from on-throttle to chopped throttle-downshift two gears-and quickly release clutch-pitch bike sideways into a corner on a supermoto! Fun!

The auto clutch basically turns the bikes clutch function into something like that of (I don't mean this in a derogatory manner.) a scooter except with gears. I've never ridden one but many people that have them rave about them for off-road stuff. They really excel when it's slippery.
I believe the new "Pro" version of the Rekluse clutch does perform differently than what you described. Click on the linky in my first post and you can read about. Then would like to hear your opinion.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
A slipper clutch and an auto clutch are different (I believe). You'd want to look into an auto clutch, like a Rekluse. I think the Rekluse Pro retains the manual clutch function so it's there if you want to use the lever.... slipper clutch would be useless except for road race or supermoto etc, plus the bike already has a cush drive rear hub, doesn't it?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote