ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
A.Vern OP
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
Goler Wash MLK Day

Motorcycles, guns, beer and 4x4's....

All are on the agenda, not neccesarliy in that order.

So far we have 4 bikes (GSA, DR650, 2xKLR650) a 4 runner, Tacoma, Jeep Grande Cherokee, Chevy Monster truck and a stock Suburban heading up Goler Wash on Monday.

We are meeting at Starbucks in Ridgecrest at 0800, heading to Ballarat at 0820. The plan is to ride / drive up to Barker Ranch. I'm going to head up to Mengal Pass to scout it out for DVD's, but will most likely return back to Ridgecrest via Ballarat.

Any riders that want to come up and join us are welcome. (bike needs to be street legal).

Cheers

A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Have fun
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
A.Vern OP
One Man Wolf Pack

Windrat,

I'll be sure to post what I find. I went up to the Owens Peak trail head today (behind Indian Wells Brewery) and did a short hike up to the ridgeline. I was surprised by how much snow and ice was still up there on the North faces. Hopefully it's melted more in the Goler / Mengal area.

One of my squadron mates flew the entire Goler wash area on Friday, looked clear from altitude.

Hopefully I'll see you guys in Death, I'm heading to Mammoth on Thursday night.

Vern

A.Vern screwed with this post 01-18-2009 at 12:27 PM
Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Popey
Nutter

Oddometer: 1,704
Headed to DV in two weeks.

for your conditions report.
'08 CBR 1000RR (Track)
'02 Mille R (Track)
Popey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
A.Vern OP
One Man Wolf Pack

Ballarat to Death via Mengal Pass

Here's the report.

We make it to Ballarat around 0930 on Monday from Ridgecrest. In the group is 1 BMW GSA, a heavliy modified Samurai, lifted GMC, lifted 4 runner (with 90 lb pitbull), CJ5, crew cab Tacoma, and 2 Jeep Cherokees.

We briefly stop and talk with the "Mayor" of Ballarat and find out that Pleasant Canyon is shutdown due to a tractor getting stuck in the middle of the trail while trying to grade the road. Hopefully they will get it out prior to DVD's for all you FF's that want to do the South Park loop. Some chick with a rather large video camera was interviewing the "Mayor" about all the low flying aircraft in Pananmint. Apparently She had no idea we had the day off and had other plans than "terrorizing" tourists.

15 short miles south and we regroup to enter Goler Wash.

No great pics of the narrow trail up, but it's in pretty good shape. About a 1/4 mile in there is a small step up that's pretty rocky on the right side. I tried to take a line to the left and realized I was commited with the pig in hitting the right. The throttle saved my ass and up and over the GSA went. All the 4 wheel vehicle made it up except a 2 WD Cherokee. We left it behind and pressed on.

Next stop, Lotus mine. As I'm getting off the bike, the rest of the group pulls up and shotguns randomly appear.

About 20 minutes of skeet shooting commences. We even picked up all the spent shells (Senator Feinstein would be proud).

"Hey Dad! I found this magazine, what's he doing to her?"

A few more miles and it was time for lunch at the Barker Ranch (Manson's last hideout)

You can only imagine all the crazy shit that happend here back in the 60's.

After lunch, most of the crew headed back to Ridgecrest. The Suzuki, GMC, 4 Runner and GSA decide to "check out" Mengal Pass.

The pig was feeling heavy, but with enough momentum, anything can make it up hill.

Trucks catching up

The roads not too bad heading up to Mengal, but if you're on a big bike like the GSA, don't head this way if you don't want to drop it. My rear tire lost grip going over a boulder and I had a slow speed "get off." Damn thing is built like a tank, as I slowly looked around to see if anyone was laughing (luckily the trucks were pretty far behind) and picked it up and kept going. I've dropped this thing a few times and have been impressed by the protection the stock BMW crash bars with the Touratech head covers provide.

Hello Mr Mengal.

While I hike down to take a look at how "bad" Mengal is, Doc heads up the road to the right just for fun. Not bad for a chick mobile.

Here's a look at Mengal Pass on 19 Jan 09. We ran into a stock late 80's Land Cruiser that drove up Mengal that morning. They must of spent a few hours placing boulders to make a step for the climb.

"CLANG!" Oh well, that's what skid plate are for.

Jeep trail my ass.

"What big rock?"

Big Man, Big truck.

"Where is that hard part you told me about"

As for the Pig. With the amount of boulders on the main route, I opted to follow a single track about 20 feet to the south of the pass. It's a pretty steep slope with a few ruts in it that you have to throttle out of. At the end it does a 90 degree turn to the left and brings you down a steep drop just below the major step. The rest of the pass down was much easier. (Video to follow)

The Suzuki had a bad gas line and was dripping fuel, so we only made a few more stops. Here's Stripped Butte in the background while waiting for the trucks to catch up.

We did a stop by Warm Springs cabins. Looks in good shape. The pool only has around a foot in it, but the water is flowing in the creek.

Once out of the rocks, the speed really picked up.

I met up with some FF's from Vegas on their 1200's. A quick chat and then up West side RD (at 25 mph ) to Furnace Creek for dinner. West Side RD is in impeccable shape (like a race track built for the GSA with a dust cloud ripping up like a rocket plume).

After a suprisingly good meal at The 49'er diner, it was a dark ass ride back to Ridgecrest via Stovepipe / Pananmint Spring and Trona.
All in all, we took 12 1/2 hours to make the loop. No speed records here, but lot's of great memories.

ADVrider Salute in the spot where they found Manson hiding in the sink cabinet (He was a short little fucker).

If you're thinking about riding Mengal Pass, don't pass it up. Just ride it West to East if you're on a big cow like I was. Going up Mengal and then down the other side would take some serious skills.

Thanks to all who have posted up on your previous Mengal Pass rides. This was my first time, but from the reports and videos it was like I'd already been there.

Cheers!

Vern

A.Vern screwed with this post 01-21-2009 at 04:26 PM
Old 01-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319

great pics and write up
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:35 AM   #7
Mojaveboxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Okay, great write up. Now I got another place to visit out in DV when we return in the spring.
Mojaveboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
ARRRGGGHHNUT
ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer: 2,869
nice trip, not even one decent pic of the dog... what's wrong w/ ya??
DILLIGAF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
But i still hate you. As long as that's clear, you can have your cheese
ARRRGGGHHNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
Nice report, Vern!!

Waiting for the video...
Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,228
nice report...i always enjoy pics of dv...thanks vern....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,858
Did they ever find more human remains at Manson's place?

I seem to remember a hoo haa about the Sheriff going out there with some high tech crap last year... Anybody?

Edit: Evidently not.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
A.Vern OP
One Man Wolf Pack

More Photos....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
Did they ever find more human remains at Manson's place?

I seem to remember a hoo haa about the Sheriff going out there with some high tech crap last year... Anybody?

Edit: Evidently not.
Yup, No remains found... but with all the old mine shafts in the area I'm sure Manson and his little buddies could find a way to hide someone where they would never be found.

Here's some more from the trip, with a little video.

By popular demand, here's a photo of River trying his luck at searching for dead hippies.

No water in the pool at Warm Springs, but it looks like all you have to do is turn a valve and you have your self a little desert Oasis.

Hey, is it Helter Skelter yet?

Geologists Cabin, no vacancy.

Great riding conditions.

Here's the video of Mengal. There is a slight single track that runs just south of the pass. I liked my odds better with this route. What's that saying, "Smarter not harder?"

By the way, anyone know how to make a link to the Youtube site show a picture rather than just the HTTP?

A.Vern screwed with this post 01-25-2009 at 12:14 PM
Old 01-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
When you reply to thread there is a little box in the upper right hand corner with two A's in it, click that and the screen will change. Put the embed link in and viola!!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
A.Vern OP
One Man Wolf Pack

Thanks! I was glad I didn't have servos on that thing. I stalled it a the bottom with too much rear brake and not enough clutch.

true noob.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Usmcpilot
Ready to Ride

Oddometer: 60
Looks like a fun ride Vern! Let's start planing the next on to big bend national park.

Bud
Usmcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote