User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
Betelgeuse
Don't Panic

Oddometer: 214
Rox Offsets

I mounted them in the rearward position to move the bars back as well as up. I understand a 20mm straight riser brings the bars closer to you due to the rake angle, but I wanted to get just a little more upright while seated. I'll wait for Chad to play around with them before I make a decision. If the adjustable risers work with stock cables I just might give them a try. As for the brake line, you could get a Barnett's braided a few inches longer for not too much $$ I'd think. BTW, I mounted a set of Hepco-Becker hoops yeaterday. They went on like a dream, look great, seem to be strong as hell, even with the 1/4 turn mounts. Sweeeet.

Jeff
Betelgeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrey1
I mounted them in the rearward position to move the bars back as well as up. I understand a 20mm straight riser brings the bars closer to you due to the rake angle, but I wanted to get just a little more upright while seated. I'll wait for Chad to play around with them before I make a decision. If the adjustable risers work with stock cables I just might give them a try. As for the brake line, you could get a Barnett's braided a few inches longer for not too much $$ I'd think. BTW, I mounted a set of Hepco-Becker hoops yeaterday. They went on like a dream, look great, seem to be strong as hell, even with the 1/4 turn mounts. Sweeeet.

Jeff
I did the same install with the ROX 1" up and 1" back risers. I had the same clearance problem with the little "failring piece" behind the ignition. I simply took it off and the clearance was fine. I have a tank bag so the look of the failring that I removed was no big deal (as the tank bag kind of hides the whole set up any way). Without the tank bag...it does make it look somewhat "bare" with the ignition completely exposed.
When it was all said and done...the new riding position greatly outweighed the bare look of the ignition.
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #18
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I too noticed the inclusion of the longer line when you purchased the Tourtech raised fender. Very confusing. Why would they package something for bar risers with a fender? Do you think the included line is a new line that connects the calipers? That would make more sense.
Yeah, the longer line is the crossover that connects the two calipers and hugs the fender tight. Raising the fender then requires a longer crossover.

Why on earth they even mention bar risers with that mod is beyond me, and is as others have noted incorrect. My guess is someone at TT saw it included a longer brake line on the parts list and made a wrong assumption as to which line it is.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
Betelgeuse
Don't Panic

Thanks, Doc

I tried the same thing but didn't like the look of the open holes left behind. Picky, picky, I know. I didn't try it with a tank bag though. I have a Wolfman Enduro that I've used for several bikes and it's worked fine but I don't like the mounting set-up on the 800.... but that's a post for another thread.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #20
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
1-1/8", I guess...

As to rotating them...quite possibly. It goes now, it just is pulling the brake line tight when it does... I'll take a look tomorrow after work. an extra half inch would do it.
Do you have ABS on your bike? Wondering which brake line is the issue. I want to do this too. My bike has ABS.

I talked to the Rox people, they suggest I talk to my dealer. Spiegler will make up lines, just have to know how long they should be.

Rob in Seattle
Old 02-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #21
]I)Money OP
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,598
Abs

Yes, I do have abs. It is the line from the handlebars down to the first block on the forks.

part number 34327700781. number 1.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #22
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
Yes, I do have abs. It is the line from the handlebars down to the first block on the forks.

part number 34327700781. number 1.

Cool, thanks for that. Now, you say another half inch would be sufficient (let's say 1.5" to be extra sure) then all we need is the length of the original part and the spec on the banjo bolts to get Spiegler to make up a replacement line that's "1.5" longer than stock."

I'll have a look tonight and see what I can see.

Rob in Seattle
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #23
]I)Money OP
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
Cool, thanks for that. Now, you say another half inch would be sufficient (let's say 1.5" to be extra sure) then all we need is the length of the original part and the spec on the banjo bolts to get Spiegler to make up a replacement line that's "1.5" longer than stock."

I'll have a look tonight and see what I can see.

Rob in Seattle
Yeah, I'd definitely go for more like +1.5. Curious to see what you come up with.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #24
Betelgeuse
Don't Panic

I'm in

I'd do the extra 1.5" and go with the Rox Adjustable. Even with a 30mm riser from Twisted Throttle they say you can't rotate the bars rearward. With me, that's the whole point. Thanks Rob.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #25
dotpac
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Will that be enough length to accomodate the Rox 2" pivot risers? Is the clutch cable long enough?
dotpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #26
Betelgeuse
Don't Panic

Spiegler

Hey Rob, did you ever get some specs to Spiegler so we can order the longer brake line? Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #27
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrey1
Hey Rob, did you ever get some specs to Spiegler so we can order the longer brake line? Thanks,

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

I just sold a Voigtlander lens to one of my riding buddies so I can now afford to do this! So I have just gotten back into it. I have not yet test fitted the risers.

So far though it looks to me (and the guys at South Sound) like to be completely safe the line should be 3" longer, or 17" total center to center of banjo bolts. I have an e-mail into Spiegler asking whether they have type of banjo bolt that is on the bottom, attached to the ABS transfer box--the one with a little nib on it. If not, I'm guessing we'll have to buy a stock brake line and send it to them to cannibalize.

I am looking into having Motion Pro build longer brake and clutch cables as well. This means buying the stock cables, and sending them to Motion Pro to extend. Since they'll not be readily available (say if one breaks on a trip) I'm going to get two of each made up at the same time. Doing this will ensure, of course, that they will never, ever break.

Probably overkill...but...I sold all my other bikes so I could pamper this one.

I should know more about prices in a few days, and hopefully will have pics of the complete install in two or three weeks, I'd guess.

Rob in Seattle
Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #28
Betelgeuse
Don't Panic

Yes!!!!

Rob, looks like we're headed down the same path. I've been holding off buying an extra clutch and throttle cable until I sort out the riser issue. I'd also like to have an extra set for a XC trip coming up: The slave cylinder seal went on the clutch of my 640 one time and I ended up at a drug store buying mineral oil to get the clutch working again, so I'm now into belt and suspenders when it comes to that stuff. Thanks for all the work you're doing.

Jeff
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #29
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
I am looking into having Motion Pro build longer brake and clutch cables as well. This means buying the stock cables, and sending them to Motion Pro to extend.
I can save you a couple of bucks here. The clutch cable from an F800S/ST is 3 inches longer than the GS cable. Ends are the same. PN 32 73 7 653 518.

I'm working on a bar change on my ST. Guessing that the GS cables might be longer, I had the dealer order a pair. Turns out the GS throttle cable is 3 inches longer than the ST one (yay), but the clutch cable is 3 inches shorter.
Bicyclist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #30
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist
I can save you a couple of bucks here. The clutch cable from an F800S/ST is 3 inches longer than the GS cable. Ends are the same. PN 32 73 7 653 518.

I'm working on a bar change on my ST. Guessing that the GS cables might be longer, I had the dealer order a pair. Turns out the GS throttle cable is 3 inches longer than the ST one (yay), but the clutch cable is 3 inches shorter.
Hey, that's great news. (For us! Not so much for you... ) Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

Any other differences? (Like the rubber protection around it, maybe?)

Rob in Seattle