Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 01:37 AM   #466
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
DR750 needles are 5E53-3RD. DR800 needles are 5E53-3RD or -4th depending on country (in Belgium I think it is 4th). For last generation DR800 some countries got needle 5E96. Just FYI - make sure you check needles seats. If needles so worn seats might be worn too and if this is case you are in for a bit of bad news....e.g. carbs body change. Thou those are easily sourceable from eBay since I think GS500 use same carbs.
Thanks everyone!

I just ordered new needles and seats. I was sure I would change both because some friends of mine who have been dealing with racing bikes all their lifes said that a little bit of wear in the seat gives a BIIG difference in performance so I could only imagine how worn it is if already the needle is very worn.
I guess now I know why I couldn't get the mixture right.

Estonian Suzuki Dealer asked about 70 euros for the whole set. I think I'm going to save that money from consumption with no time at all.

Off to garage now!
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:25 PM   #467
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
just found a nice one that was brought to the states from Italy but am a little worried that it will be impossible to register here if I were to buy it not to mention parts availability. does anybody have any advice? thanks
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #468
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad
just found a nice one that was brought to the states from Italy but am a little worried that it will be impossible to register here if I were to buy it not to mention parts availability. does anybody have any advice? thanks
Can't advice on registration (I think somebody on forum registered DR in US) but as for parts - if I start writing lis of parts from DR600-650-GSes-various bikes that are interchangeable with DR it will be 5 pages :) leaving aside fact that CMSNL.COM can supply you any stock original parts for DRs and they ship worldwide no probs.
Example?
Crabs - GS500
Front caliper (it made of chewing gum but anyway) - GPZ900, the old one, older GS500
Bearings - just all of them available for other bikes.
Front forks and parts - DR600. Same goes for wheels and lot of other parts (same with DR600).
shall I continue?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #469
robszombie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Ah! You spotted it! It is only non-custom-superexpensive 4 pot caliper that clears spokes completely :) Took me ages to find type/model of caliper that I needed, then took 5 minutes to buy.
Mine comes from Gilera Nordwest. Same caliper with slightly different piston sizes are on Aprillia RS125 stroker (old model). Also, there is company called HE in Germany that sells it as part of their Supermoto kit.
It is made by Grimeca and pads for Aprillia fit perfectly.
I paid 10 (!!!!) Euros for caliper on ebay.
Beware - those calipers come in pairs on bikes, so you need to watch for it to be left side caliper.

Bracket - self made. Soon will be removed from bike - I then can measure it and post draft drawing somewhere. I made it myself using filing, drilling, cutting and swearing as I have no milling machine. But even without mill it took just one day to make as long as you have measurements and drawing.
Bracket and caliper installed using 12.8 grade bolts to compensate for relatively small size of tread on caliper mounting points.
Nice one, thanks. I'll see what I can get to fit/suit. Am busy at the moment trying to get my VOR503EN back in working order for some hare & hound events.
robszombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:59 AM   #470
chrisschef
n00b

Oddometer: 2
dr 800s

really learned alot thanks for threads looking to supermoto my dr looking at gs 500 wheels as option any ideas would be gratfully receved
chrisschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:20 AM   #471
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Can't advice on registration (I think somebody on forum registered DR in US) but as for parts - if I start writing lis of parts from DR600-650-GSes-various bikes that are interchangeable with DR it will be 5 pages :) leaving aside fact that CMSNL.COM can supply you any stock original parts for DRs and they ship worldwide no probs.
Example?
Crabs - GS500
Front caliper (it made of chewing gum but anyway) - GPZ900, the old one, older GS500
Bearings - just all of them available for other bikes.
Front forks and parts - DR600. Same goes for wheels and lot of other parts (same with DR600).
shall I continue?
are you saying that gs500 uses the same carbs? are they interchangable? i wouldnt mind having an extra set of carbs for my DR :)
jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #472
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisschef
really learned alot thanks for threads looking to supermoto my dr looking at gs 500 wheels as option any ideas would be gratfully receved
Better SV650 first-edition model....Folks on Suzuki UK forum mentioned that those wheels fit very well on DR.

But I personally do not like looks and would go for spoked wheels.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #473
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroka
are you saying that gs500 uses the same carbs? are they interchangable? i wouldnt mind having an extra set of carbs for my DR :)
Pre-2001 GS500 use same 33 mm carbs and same ugly horrible front brake caliper. And as far as I know they do fit DR. Post-2001 GS I think have 34 mm carbs with TPS and different jetting design or something like that. Carbs I am talking about are Mikuni BST33. I think same twin carbs are on BMW F650 first-edition and on Aprilia Pegaso first model. But I do not know if Beemer and Aprilia carbs will fit DR.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #474
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Mine comes from Gilera Nordwest. Same caliper with slightly different piston sizes are on Aprillia RS125 stroker (old model). Also, there is company called HE in Germany that sells it as part of their Supermoto kit.
It is made by Grimeca and pads for Aprillia fit perfectly.
I paid 10 (!!!!) Euros for caliper on ebay.
Beware - those calipers come in pairs on bikes, so you need to watch for it to be left side caliper.
75 pounds brand new for a left hand caliper.
http://www.bobwrightmotorcycles.co.u...priceguide.htm
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #475
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroka
Hi fellow thumpers.. Ive been lurking for some time now and decided is time to introduce myself.. my name is Javier, im from Buenos Aires, Argentina.. Ive been riding motorcycles for about 11 years now (im 29yo) but most of them were sportbikes.. lately ive been missing some trips with my friends for not having an appropiate bike (i own a 93 gixxer 750) and decided to do something about it, and bought a 1992 Dr800 .. it took a some of work to get it running properly (leaky fork seals, dirty carbs, a few busted bearings, valve/balancer chain ajustement etc) but its running fine now... well.. enough talking here is the pic.. hope you like it..

Welcome jabroka you are our 35th owner contribiter (if my counting is correct) and Ive added you to front page and if you havnt noticed I try to put as many info links there as I can as well.
Your bikes a beaut, very nice.
Out of interest Buenus Aires is one of my favourite cities I travelled though there some years ago on my way to Brazil, Im sure its changed a little now but I imagine those statue;s in the middle of the roads are still there
I can visualize you riding by them on the DR now (perhaps doing a Wheely)

Chow for now, Markos
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 AM   #476
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Welcome jabroka you are our 35th owner contribiter (if my counting is correct) and Ive added you to front page and if you havnt noticed I try to put as many info links there as I can as well.
Your bikes a beaut, very nice.
Out of interest Buenus Aires is one of my favourite cities I travelled though there some years ago on my way to Brazil, Im sure its changed a little now but I imagine those statue;s in the middle of the roads are still there
I can visualize you riding by them on the DR now (perhaps doing a Wheely)

Chow for now, Markos
thanks man! ;)

If youre talking about "El Obelisco" its still there.. :)

Im vary happy with my DR so far.. Im very anxious to make my first trip with her.. if i can escape from work, itll be on late march/april to Pampa del Rayo. ive done a few trips with dualsport bikes but they were all rented or borrowed from friends..

here are some pics of my previous trips:

In the middle of Los Andes, from Villa la Angostura to Puyehue..

Paso del Cordoba, Neuquen

Puerto Manzano

Hope you like the pics ;)
jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #477
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
the piccies are amazing!!!!

i wish i was born in a different family who lives there....
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #478
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,808
Introduction

Greetings DR Big riders,

I'm new to this thread and in the final stages of purchasing a DR750 from pilotrider in N. Mexico.

I've been active on the Transalp and Africa Twin threads so I'm no stranger to AVDrider. Here's a quick photo of my modified Transalp (AfricaAlp) at work with the real Ladder106.

I've just finished reading all the posts on this thread and downloading the shop manual that was posted. Many thanks for all the ideas and support so far. My only question at present concerns the compression release. Pilotrider told me that the comp. release has to be activated (and then released) to start the bike and I've read the recommendation about using it to shut the engine off. I'm assuming that activating this at idle speeds will not result in piston/valve contact. It would seem logical that it would not but I just want to be certain.

Where is the best place to get crashbars? Are there more than one type available? Are they available in the US?

After adjusting the balancer chain, the case gasket probably requires replacement. Where do you get those?

Also here a quick photo that Pilotride sent to me of the DR750.

I let one of these bikes splip through my fingers about 5 years ago and I vowed that if another one came up for sale I'd pounce on it quickly. It's always wierd buying something on photos only but I felt right at home with Pilotrider after the first phone conversation.

As much as I'd like to fly out and ride the bike home, the timing and other obligations will most likely not allow that so I'm looking at shipping options right now.

I'm very excited to have this machine. If anyone knows this bike from europe (it came into the US from Italy through armed forces exemptions), please let me know.

Thanks and I'm sure I'll be pestering you guys with other questions once the machine arrives.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 02-03-2009 at 09:49 PM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:49 AM   #479
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Here's mine. Bought just before Christmas. Loving it.

dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #480
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Greetings DR Big riders,

...I've just finished reading all the posts on this thread and downloading the shop manual that was posted. Many thanks for all the ideas and support so far. My only question at present concerns the compression release. Pilotrider told me that the comp. release has to be activated (and then released) to start the bike and I've read the recommendation about using it to shut the engine off. I'm assuming that activating this at idle speeds will not result in piston/valve contact. It would seem logical that it would not but I just want to be certain.

Where is the best place to get crashbars? Are there more than one type available? Are they available in the US?

After adjusting the balancer chain, the case gasket probably requires replacement. Where do you get those?

Some answers.

1. Decompressor - no worries, you not going to hit valves, at least I never ever ever heard that could happen and I saw loads of DR owners shutting off their DR Bigs with decompressor (mine is SR43 DR800, that one with automatic deco and problem with starter gear fixed).
2. Best place to get crashbars (can't speak for US-located but Europeans shipping to US) is either eBay, or Stefan Hessler DR Big shop. Buying Ricky Cross bars (the best) directly from them is risky (italian company), but Stefan can supply those too. Or you can buy cheap broken bars on eBay and totally re-make them youself to your taste (as I did - but then I was desperately cheap with it :)).
I would not recommend Five Stars bars in their "stock" state. They need mods to be proper. So - Stefan is your best bet
http://www.hessler-motorsport.de/shop/index.php?cPath=6

3. Stock Suzuki item - from www.cmsnl.com. German eBay sells full sets of gaskets too. I buy mine at my Suzuki dealer, in Belgium.

And - congratulations with your DR!!! :)