User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,370
Bmw F650 Gs

I don't know if this should be "Beasts" thread. It's not a thumper. It's not even a 650! It's an 800. And, from what I see at my Beemer dealer (he doesn't even have one yet) I sure do want one!! Anybody seen one in the flesh? I needs to get me one of them!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
springfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor
I don't know if this should be "Beasts" thread. It's not a thumper. It's not even a 650! It's an 800. And, from what I see at my Beemer dealer (he doesn't even have one yet) I sure do want one!! Anybody seen one in the flesh? I needs to get me one of them!
*Lifting up the rock…you come crawling out*

Old 01-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
It is an 800 but it's been reconfigured "internally" so in fact it is a 650cc machine. Sat on one at the Calgary bike show and I was impressed.

IMNSHO it does nothing better than the Wee Strom so I won't be looking to buy one. I will say it SHOULD feel like it weighs a lot less than a Wee fully fueled, due to the location of the fuel tank.

The F800gs was beautiful but unfortunately for me it's too tall

Quote:

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
R.J.
split personality

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
It is an 800 but it's been reconfigured "internally" so in fact it is a 650cc machine. Sat on one at the Calgary bike show and I was impressed.

IMNSHO it does nothing better than the Wee Strom so I won't be looking to buy one. I will say it SHOULD feel like it weighs a lot less than a Wee fully fueled, due to the location of the fuel tank.

The F800gs was beautiful but unfortunately for me it's too tall
I have a lowered version and yes, it does feel like it weighs much, much less than the Wee. Then again, the Wee was also pretty tall for me, but it also felt very top heavy. The 800 GS was WAY too tall, and I'm getting too old to do flying dismounts.

So far, I love the 650 twin! It is light, agile and stable with a low CG. I was riding the 650 single and was a little worried I wouldn't get my money's worth in trading up. I can happily say that so far it has been worth it.

People do complain about the seat and the windscreen. Personally, I find the seat to be quite comfortable, but then again, I have enough of my own "padding". I did mount a GIVI windscreen, which keeps my pretty much out of the wind. I will also find out this summer how the 650 twin manages off road. So far, I haven't ridden much more than packed dirt and gravel.
R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Nemesis
just ride the damn thing

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Wow, where does this stuff come from....????

The displacement of the 2009 F650GS twin is 798cc. It's an "800".

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats " - H. L. Mencken
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
I've ridden both. Liked both bikes but would prefer the 800.

Did you just get a computer?
05-GS- Rock Red 90k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Eh?

Rod Serling, is that you?????

My wife has the 650, which is an 800, and I have the 800, which is also an 800.

Awesome bikes!! Look for us on an AK highway near you in 2010!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Ive ridden the 800 and am about to trade my CBR in on one, but how does the 650 compare to it? it sort of looks the same but does it ride like the 800 or is it just a waterd down version of it more aimed at commuting?
RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 411
VERY nice pair of bikes there. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me get her the 650 version or the Aprilia 650.
BMW had a superb stand at the Londow Bike Show I went to yesterday (there's a link to some shots in this section) and these bikes look fantastic all kitted-up, especially the F800 GS in silver/grey.
I do prefer the alloy wheels though than the spokes but understand why they are used.

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J.
I have a lowered version and yes, it does feel like it weighs much, much less than the Wee. Then again, the Wee was also pretty tall for me, but it also felt very top heavy. The 800 GS was WAY too tall, and I'm getting too old to do flying dismounts.

So far, I love the 650 twin! It is light, agile and stable with a low CG. I was riding the 650 single and was a little worried I wouldn't get my money's worth in trading up. I can happily say that so far it has been worth it.

People do complain about the seat and the windscreen. Personally, I find the seat to be quite comfortable, but then again, I have enough of my own "padding". I did mount a GIVI windscreen, which keeps my pretty much out of the wind. I will also find out this summer how the 650 twin manages off road. So far, I haven't ridden much more than packed dirt and gravel.
+1 I have the lowered 650 too, and I love it! I have no problem with the factory seat and I got the factory touring windscreen. I would have liked the 800, but I'm a short ff, so this will have to do. The 450 rims supposedly have the same hub/axle, so I may be getting a pair to increase the off-road worthiness a tad.

And brush off the dirt from the hole you've been hiding in!

Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad28
Ive ridden the 800 and am about to trade my CBR in on one, but how does the 650 compare to it? it sort of looks the same but does it ride like the 800 or is it just a waterd down version of it more aimed at commuting?
You can tell the difference in power, but not much. Smaller people would be happier with the 650.
05-GS- Rock Red 90k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
The 800 looks so much cooler, shame bmw didn't tart the '650' up a bit more.

And give it a better name. Every time I google parts for my 650, the fricking twin comes up
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:56 AM   #13
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,721
Quote:
It is an 800 but it's been reconfigured "internally" so in fact it is a 650cc machine...
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #14
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
Umm, yeah. I'm going to go post on the Uly and KTM threads and act like I know what I'm talking about over there...

The 800 and the 650 (twin) have the same motor with the exception of the cam and EFI jets and fuel mapping. At least that's what I read on the interweb...

The 650 isn't going to be as capable off-road as the 800 by design, but there are folks on here who are pushing the limits. Do a little digging here in Beasts. It's a great bike with some incredible potential. Also, look on f650.com and ukgser.com for more info.

Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #15
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
You know it really gets me how intemidated the buyers of the f800gs are of the f650gs buyers-----like 2 inches of travel, spoke wheels and a 2 inch bigger front wheel put a bike into total dirt heaven i mean is that really gonna make a pig fly? the way i see it i mean sure it gives it an edge but come on
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote