User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #76
chunter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
It was the fuel pump

It seems that the problem was actually the fuel pump (I'm pretty sure). They replaced the pump after a warning light came on, and I have not had any issues since (about 200 miles later now).

Aloha,
Charlie
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #77
everywherevirtually
In Omnibus Caritas

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter
It seems that the problem was actually the fuel pump (I'm pretty sure). They replaced the pump after a warning light came on, and I have not had any issues since (about 200 miles later now).

Aloha,
Charlie
In your case that maybe so but BMW have acknowledged that the stalling issue is ECU related and cured by a software upgrade. I know 5 other 800 riders who had the same issue as me and it went away after the recall and software upgrade.

I would urge others to follow that tack with BMW USA before you start wondering if the alignment of the planets is making it stall.
everywherevirtually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #78
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
New fuel pump, after 50 days at the dealer. I went on a 200 mile ride, about 1/2 and 1/2. I'm off on a 10 day Baja/ Main land ride Thurs. That trip should confirm if it did the trick. I'm also VERY sure to not touch the throttle when starting the bike. What a sweet bike.
Cisco

50 DAYS

Old 02-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #79
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 365
ECU upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by everywherevirtually
In your case that maybe so but BMW have acknowledged that the stalling issue is ECU related and cured by a software upgrade. I know 5 other 800 riders who had the same issue as me and it went away after the recall and software upgrade.

I would urge others to follow that tack with BMW USA before you start wondering if the alignment of the planets is making it stall.

Where could I read about this update? I'd like to be informed before I speak to my dealer. When I got my bike Nov. 1st, I asked if it had the latest software and the dealer said yes, but I don't know what version # it might be, or what date the upgrade you are talking about might have come out.

Thanks.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #80
jigdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter

Aloha,
Charlie
My issues were 3000 miles apart. At first.
jigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #81
chunter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigdog
My issues were 3000 miles apart. At first.
Yeah, but my issues were 2 miles apart before the new fuel pump. The problem was easily replicated on a low-ish fuel tank.

Another 100 miles today.
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #82
jigdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Well...lets hope!
jigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #83
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro
My new twin F650gs didn't give me any problems until I got in horrific wind and rain. It would not only stall downshifting into first and second, but also at high speeds usually when shifting up to sixth gear. I was on a three day trip, and realized it would stall every time it started raining, but would run fine when the weather cleared.
Digging up an old thread...

So, the past few weeks its been pretty rainy/windy in the bay area. I've had on 5-6 occations where the bike (at freeway speeds) would lose a good 20-30% of the power...similar to what it would feel like if the timing suddenly went flat. This running condition would stay pretty much constant until the bike was turned off and let sit for a while. To date the bike has stalled out twice--once at zero speed, once at very slow speed, both instances in conjunction with the 'power problem' noted above. In situations where the bike didn't stall, it would idle low and rough. ALL of the above situations started in extremely wet conditions, traveling at freeway speeds.

Possibly related, possibly not, my low fuel light and my range are...uhh...broken. I ran out of gas ~3 miles after the low fuel light came on (with ~25 miles indicated range) a week and a half ago. I had 215 miles on the tank at the time, which does fall in line with the theoretical range of 4.2 gallons. The range and light had been spot on up to then, and I was pretty easy on that particular tank, so I thought I could make it the 3 miles to work and then fuel up around the corner for my trip home.

Since that time, my range has been consistently wrong. I'm fueling up with ~4.0 gallons around 195-205 miles (same as before the range/light went wonky), and my range says there's ~30-35 miles left.

I'll be taking it to the dealer soon...more to come.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #84
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Regarding stalling issues brought on due to riding in rain, I may have a solution.
My f800 has done this and the last time it stalled in the rain I was near my dealer and brought it in. They opened the air box to find standing water ( about 6oz or so) in the air box. The idler air by pass valve is located on the bottom of the air box also.

When you close the throttle to shift or come to a stop, the air idle by-pass valve opens and sucks in the standing water stalling the motor.

My service manager concluded that the air intakes are letting in a significant amount of water during heavy rains. (ram air effect)

My service manager and I came up with a way to block rain from getting into the intake with out restricting air flow.

I have tested these block-off plates in a very heavy rain yesterday and I could not get my bike to stall after 25-30 miles of interstate riding.

I experienced stalling a dozen times before under the same severe rain conditions with out the block off plates.

Let me say that I tried to make my bike stall the other day in the rain under every throttle position and rpm/gear/load condition and it ran perfectly.

The plates do not effect performance that I can tell during normal weather.
The service manager and I both ran the bike up to 100mph and could not tell anything different from a stock bike.

BTW Gateway BMW is my dealer and they have been very good to me
Hope this may help!
Thanks
Glen
ROYAL COACHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #85
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
you'd think a motorcycle developed in Germany would be able to handle rain.
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #86
jessehere
Ridin'

Oddometer: 764
i am suprised that the dealer reccomends this patch/fix. if the bike cannot be used in the rain without stalling it should be recalled
jessehere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #87
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessehere
i am suprised that the dealer reccomends this patch/fix. if the bike cannot be used in the rain without stalling it should be recalled
Because BMW does not have a fix for this as of yet, this is a solution that both the dealer and myself dreamed up, fabricated and installed to see if our diagnosis was correct.

Until BMW can come up with a permanent fix, this does work and my bike no longer stalls in the heavy down pours.

I agree that no bike should stall out in the rain, but this was simple to make and does work for me.

BTW my dl650 vstrom used to stall in a heavy down pour from water getting in and around the front cylinder spark plug boot

Glen
Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #88
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessehere
Jesse, I did not want to wait for BMW to re engineer the air box or what ever this will take to fix.
I ride year round here in MIssouri in all kinds of weather and I just want to ride, not have mike new bike tied up waiting for someone in Germany to solve a problem that in all honesty, was not to difficult to fix.

I realize this may not be acceptable for some, but if your bike is stalling and ypu want a temporary fix, this might help.

Glen
Old 03-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #89
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Well, that certainly makes sense! I suppose you could also extend the tube inside the airbox so as to not draw air from the bottom, sort of like the reserve on a fuel petcock?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #90
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Well, that certainly makes sense! I suppose you could also extend the tube inside the airbox so as to not draw air from the bottom, sort of like the reserve on a fuel petcock?
yes. if you get into a situation where it happens, lean the bike to the left and give it some throttle; it'll burn it off so you can go on (thanks Shannon).
It takes a pretty good downpour,and Highway speed, to get it to happen.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote