ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #151
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,962
1st Land Battle of the Civil War - Barbour Co

The Battle of Philippi, also called The Philippi Races, was fought on June 3, 1861, in and around Philippi, Virginia (now West Virginia) as part of the Western Virginia Campaign of the Civil War. It was the first organized land action in the Eastern Theater of the war.

To read more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...(West_Virginia)

http://americancivilwar.com/statepic/wv/wv001.html

http://www.barbourcountywveda.org/firstlandbattle.cfm

One interesting sideline to the historic data: One of the injured was young Confederate James E. Hanger, an 18-year old college student. After recovering, Hanger returned to his hometown in Virginia. He made an artificial leg for himself from barrel staves with a hinge at the knee. His design worked so well, the West Virginia State Legislature commissioned him to manufacture the “Hanger Limb” for other wounded Civil War veterans. Mr. Hanger patented his prosthetic device and founded what is now the Hanger Orthopedic Group, Inc. As of 2007,Hanger Orthopedic Group is the United States market leader in the manufacture of artificial limbs.

I'm not even going to pretend to be a Civil War historian, and know very little about that period in history. I am truly a fish out of water in this area. This project, though, is helping me learn more about our past. This one marker alone could be a long and elaborate thread by itself. Hopefully, these links will help guide folks who want to study this more in depth.

Historical Marker is located 1/4 mile north of the Philippi Bridge on Rt 119. (See previous post on Philippi Covered Bridge)

The Historical Marker is located on a turnoff with another marker for W.D. Zinn (see below)

Historical Marker located at the same turnout as the "First Land Battle" (above). William Davidson Zinn was the author of "The Story of Woodbine Farm", printed by K. Reger in 1931.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 02-08-2009 at 07:52 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #152
pnoman OP
Just Average

Meadowville - Barbour Co

Meadowville is located on Rt 92 about 6 miles north of Belington.

(The following notes are paraphrased from "The Handbook of the Linguistic Atlas of the Middles and South Atlantic States" by Kretzschmar, McDavid, Lerud, and Johnson) Click Here and go to Page 273.

Meadowville, originally Glady Creek, was settled in the 1780s and 1790s, and in 1904 was still listed as a post village. Area was originally West Augusta County, Virginia. Fort built in 1784 by Henry Phillips, Welshman. Lumber, corn, potatoes, wheat, beef, and dairy were important resources in the area. Southern terminus for B&O and West Virginia Central Railroads. In 1940, most homes were farms and there were 5 churches. By 1974, few farms and only 1 church remain.

Historical Marker is actually located 6 miles south of Meadowville in Belington, about 50 meters north of the junction of Rt 250 and Rt 92. This is the view northbound toward Meadowville.

View north on Rt 92 - in Belington. Meadowville is 6 miles ahead (north).

Meadowville, WV. Nice, quiet community away from the hustle and bustle.

Rt 92 is a nice ride from Belington up to Grafton (you will pass the Anna Jarvis House - see previous post - about 10 miles ahead).
www.RidingWV.com
Old 02-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #153
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,403
I thought I'd post this one from this past Saturday 2/7. It's been posted before but from a different season.

And it's neighbor:

And the road leading to it's subject:

MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #154
pnoman OP
Just Average

Philippi - Barbour Co

Philippi - Pop 2,870. Lies on the Tygart Valley River about 15 miles south of Tygart Lake and Grafton. Junction of Rt 250 and Rt 119.

Much of the history of Philippi corresponds to what was written on the Covered Bridge at Philippi post a little earlier. The covered bridge and Alderson-Broaddus College are probably the two main attractions in the town.

To read more about Philippi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippi,_West_Virginia

http://www.philippi.org/

Historical Marker located right on Main St about 1/4 mile from the covered bridge. (In front of County Court House) The judge must have been either well-liked or very influential, since a city and 2 counties are named after him.

View of Barbour County Court House and marker.

View of Main St. Philippi looking toward the covered bridge (just to the left of the white church at the end of the street).

We passed through Philippi hundreds (thousands???) of times on our way from Clarksburg to Petersburg and back to visit my grandparents since I was born. There's a good restaurant on the southeast of town about 2 miles out on Rt 250 - The Philippi Inn. I haven't eaten there in years, but I hear it's still good. A real old-fashioned family restaurant.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #155
pnoman OP
Just Average

Belington - Barbour Co

Located at the junction of Rt 250 and Rt 92, about 15 miles northwest of Elkins. Population in the year 2000 was 1,788.

After the "Philippi Races" (first land battle of the Civil War fought in nearby Philippi to the north, the defeated Confederate forces retreated south to the Belington area and Laurel Hill. (See posts on Laurel Hill coming soon)

Belington is also one of the gateways to Audra State Park located about 8 miles west.

Historical Marker located along Rt 250/92, the main route through Belington, about 100 yards south of the stoplight.

View north along Crim Ave (Rt 250/92) into downtown Belington.

To read more about Belington: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belington,_West_Virginia
www.RidingWV.com
Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #156
pnoman OP
Just Average

Laurel Hill - Barbour Co

After retreating from Philippi, Confederate forces under the command of Gen Robert Garnett camped on Laurel Hill just southeast of Belington. Here, they established a stronghold waiting for reinforcements to arrive.

To read a very thorough history of the area: http://www.wvculture.org/history/jou...h/wvh28-1.html

For a shorter version:
http://www.battleoflaurelhill.org/index.htm (Click on the "History" tab)

Again, I will say I am no expert on history, so I am condensing what I've learned and giving you links to read "the rest of the story".

Just south of Belington, turn east on CR 15, a scenic but narrow and winding road through old farmland. Just when you think you've taken a wrong turn and are lost, the first marker appears.

First Historical Marker is located on CR 15 about 3 miles from Rt 250/92. Turn in at the Belington Industrial Park sign, go 1/2 mile and turn left at the intersection. Go another 1/2 mile and turn right. You are now on CR 15.

View southeast on CR 15 at first marker.

Second Marker is located on CR 15 about 1 mile past the first one.

View of Marker #2 and a bit of CR 15. Laurel Hill extends to the right.

View to the right of the previous photo looking up on Laurel Hill. Directly behind me at this point is the next photo.

This man-made pond is on the site of the Confederate campgrounds, which extended to the hillsides in all directions.

On July 11, 1861, within earshot of Laurel Hill, Union General McClellan’s troops won a decisive battle at Rich Mountain. General Garnett abruptly found his army cut off at Laurel Hill. In a desperate bid to escape, he retreated east along a rugged mountain trace to Corricks Ford on Shavers Fork of Cheat River.

At that swollen river crossing, Garnett was killed while defending the rear guard of his army—the first general to fall in action during the Civil War. His remnant force abandoned huge quantities of equipment and fled, demoralized.

This is an interesting area to visit and to ride. CR 15 goes through all the way to Elkins, and when I have more time, I would like to ride the entire length (about 15 miles).

www.RidingWV.com
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #157
pnoman OP
Just Average

Valley Furnace - Barbour Co

I'm finally finding time to finish posting photos from last week. Work keeps getting in the way of my riding and posting .

Located on Rt 38 about 3 miles west of the Tucker Co / Barbour Co line. Rt 38 is a great ride from Philippi over to St George (just north of Parsons). It's a great alternative to the over-used Philippi-Belington-Elkins route to Harmon and Seneca Rocks coming eastbound from Clarksburg. (Once you're in Parsons, try Rt 72 over to Canaan if you're not in a hurry!)

For a detailed story of the operation of this furnace and others like it, click the following link:

http://www.appaltree.net/aba/educati...ironworks1.htm

Historical Marker located on Rt 38 at the Valley Furnace located in ..... Valley Furnace, WV.

View eastbound on Rt 38 heading toward Tucker Co.

The ol' furnace.

I couldn't resist throwing this one in - the view across the highway from the furnace. Nice!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #158
face_plant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
bumpity bump bump

its febuary and i know of 20+ in the northern panhandle,
i also know alot of history written and unwritten. my grandfather is of blackfoot and cherokee blood so he loved to tell the stories of olden days.
soon as the weather breaks i will start posting
face_plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #159
pnoman OP
Just Average

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by face_plant
its febuary and i know of 20+ in the northern panhandle,
i also know alot of history written and unwritten. my grandfather is of blackfoot and cherokee blood so he loved to tell the stories of olden days.
soon as the weather breaks i will start posting
Thank you - Grazie - Merci - Danke.

Welcome! I got off work a little early yesterday and picked up 4 markers just west of Clarksburg, but need to find time to edit and post.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 02-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #160
pnoman OP
Just Average

WV Industrial Home for Girls - Harrison Co

Located on the Harrison Co side of the border with Doddridge Co in the town of Industrial (Really!!), this facility was originally a girls' counterpart to Pruntytown (see earlier post). Now, it houses boys and girls.

The WV Industrial Home for Youth is the state’s only maximum security correctional facility for juvenile offenders. It houses male offenders age 10-21 and female offenders age 12-21.

To read more about the WVIHY, please click here.

Historical Marker located on Industrial Blvd, south of CR 50-28 on the west side of Salem just as you are leaving town.

View of the marker and Industrial Blvd. Out of respect for the posted rules, I did not photograph toward the facility to the left about 200-300 yards - located on the top of the hill. CR 50-28 is about 200 yards north from where I'm standing.

Since this is a Correctional Facility, no photographs are allowed, even from the roadside. There are several photos on their website, however. To view photos of the WVIHY, please click here. Then, click on the photo link.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 02-20-2009 at 05:34 PM
Old 02-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #161
pnoman OP
Just Average

Salem - Harrison Co

Located along Rt 50 about 15 miles west of Clarksburg, Salem has a population of about 2000. It is the home of Salem International University and the West Virginia Industrial Home for Youth (see previous post). It's also home of the Apple Butter Fesitval each summer.

Salem International University was founded as Salem College by the Seventh Day Baptist Church in 1888. It soon became a non-sectarian nonprofit college. Over the next 100 years, the school continued as a liberal arts, teacher education, and nursing college. In 1989 it formed an alliance with Tokyo University, which changed the focus of the school to one of education of international students in a unique atmosphere. Salem College was renamed Salem-Teikyo University. The alliance with Teikyo ended in 2000, when the school was purchased by investors from Singapore. At that time, the school changed its name to Salem International University. Salem International University was acquired by Salem Education, LLC in June 2005.

For more information on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem,_West_Virginia

Historical Marker located along Main St about 1/4 mile west of downtown.

There is a memorial located alongside the marker with this cool cannon.

A little better view of the marker and memorial area.

View of downtown Salem, looking westbound on Main St.

This historic old train depot in downtown Salem burned in late 2008, taking with it many irreplaceable photos and artifacts.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 02-20-2009 at 04:20 PM
Old 02-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #162
pnoman OP
Just Average

Center Point Covered Bridge - Doddridge Co

Located on Rt 23 about 10 miles northwest of Salem. The citizens of Center Point restored the bridge in the early 1980s, then did a complete restoration in 2004.

Excerpt from the Nomination Form for the National Register for Historic Places:

The Center Point Covered Bridge is significant because
it is one of only

17 Covered bridges remaining in West Virginia. It is the remnant of a unique
and once flourishing engineering form - the American timbered covered bridge.
Such bridges once carried a huge volume of the traffic in rural areas and small
towns of America. It was the timber truss node of covered bridges (such a s
Center Point's Long system or' 4"x" panels) that gave rise to the a l l metal truss
bridge that is also recognized as an American contribution to world engineering.
The Center Point Covered Bridge is significant to Doddridge County, in particular,
as the only remaining covered bridge in the county.
On July 13, 1888, the Doddridge County Court ordered that G.W. Ice be
appointed a commissioner to supply specifications for a bridge to span the
Middle Fork of McElroy Creek i n the XcClellan District . Ice was also ordered to
advertise and let out the contract for building the bridge and to superintend
the construction (1). The records indicate that T.W. Ancell and E. Underwood
built abutments and John Ash and S.H. Smith built superstructures for at least

two bridges in the McClellan District .

To see the complete document:

http://www.wvculture.org/shpo/nr/pdf...e/83003235.pdf

Historical Marker located on Rt 23 about 10 miles northwest of Rt 50.

View looking southeast on Rt 23. (No, that's not the bridge )

That's the bridge! Located about 100 meters north of the junction of Rt 23 and CR 10.

Here's a better view of the covered bridge.

Inside the bridge.

Rt 23 is a great ride! However, take it easy, since there are 20'-30' dropoffs just a few feet off the narrow road. Overcook one of the 15 MPH hairpins, and you'll be airborne before landing in a farmer's field. Oh, yeah, and watch out for 6-Inch rocks in the road from the adjoining hillside cuts. I'd like to take Rt 23 up to Middlebourne sometime. (Maybe my next sign-hunting trip).

Update: April 2011 - Marker has been refurbished. (See below)

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-13-2011 at 01:30 PM
Old 02-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #163
pnoman OP
Just Average

Rt 23 - Harrison Co / Doddridge Co Line

Located on Rt 23 about 3 miles northwest of Salem and Rt 50.

Historical Marker, located on Rt 23 about 3 miles northwest of junction with Rt 50. The sign is situated behind a wood post, which is why the photo is taken at an angle. This is heading northwest into Doddridge Co.

View northwest on Rt 23 entering Doddridge Co.

Flip side of Historical Marker - Rt 23 heading southeast back in to Harrison Co.

View of Rt 23 southeast coming into Harrison Co.

Like I said on the previous post, Rt 23 is a fun - narrow, winding, challenging - ride. Watch out for rocks in the road, log trucks, and dropoffs 3 feet from the edge of the road, and you'll have a great ride.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 02-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #164
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,503
nice work
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #165
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Martinsburg, WV Markers

The markers in this post are all in or near Martinsburg, Berkeley County WV.

Let me set the stage a bit, for those not familiar with the area. Martinsburg is located in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. A hub center for commerce since it's beginning, Martinsburg still serves as the center of commerce in the area.

Major private employers in and around Martinsburg include Quad/Graphics, EcoLab, Orgill, Quebecor World, Sino-Swearingen, and Fedex.
The city also houses one of the two Enterprise Computing Centers of the IRS(the other is in Memphis, Tennessee). The Martinsburg facility processes most of the country's electronically filed tax documents from businesses, and about one-third of electronically-filed tax returns.
The ATF has a building located in Martinsburg, where they deal with crimes involving alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives from the United States and other places in the world. This is the only building of the ATF that does these types of things.
Martinsburg had its own automobile company, called Norwalk. The cars that were assembled here are the longest-made known cars to be built in the state of West Virginia.
The area is also home to the 167th Airwing Lift of the West Virginia Air National Guard.
Located on Interstate 81, Route 11, Routes 45, 901 and 9 and numerous cow trails that run into town, traffic can be a force to contend with.
There is Amtrack service, MARC RAIL, Maryland's train transit system.

Martinsburg was founded by General Adam Stephen in 1778 and named for Colonel Thomas B. Martin, nephew of Lord Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron.

I think that covers the who, what where and when. Now the markers.

Marker located on Routes 9 / 11, located on the right traveling east.

Located on Williamsport Pike [Route 11], on the right traveling north, about 1/4 mile north of Warm Springs Road.

Fort Neally was founded possibly as early as 1755 by John Neally about four miles south of present day Martinsburg. In addition to it's use as a fort during the Indian wars era, it was used around 1757 for the colonial militia.

This one was a twofer. Two for one post.
Railroad strike of 1877

After the Great Railroad Strike of 1877, union organizers planned for their next battles, while politicians and business leaders took steps to ensure that such chaos could not reoccur. Many states enacted conspiracy statutes. States formed new militia units, and National Guard armories were constructed in a number of cities. For workers and employers alike, the strikes had shown the power of workers in combination to challenge the status quo. They were driven, as a Pittsburgh state militiaman, who was ordered to break the 1877 strike, pointed out, by “one spirit and one purpose among them–that they were justified in resorting to any means to break down the power of the corporations."

Archive image

The other side of the marker:

Roundhouse ruins

The Railroad Strike and Roundhouse markers are located at the east end of East Martin Street, Martinsburg, at the Rail Station.

This marker is at 515 West Martin St., Martinsburg.

This marker is located in front of the Ramer Center, which is home to the Sumner Ramer African American School Museum and The Berkeley County Schools’ Instructional Resource Center, Media Services and Special Education departments.

General Adam Stephen. Marker is at 309 E John St., Martinsburg.

General Adam Stephen has a brief bio in post 102 of this thread.

Constructed of native limestone.

Van Metre Ford Bridge.

Marker is at the intersection of Flaggs Crossing Road and Blairton Road on Flaggs Crossing Road.

Check the guy in the creek. He's got one on.

Veterans Administration Center

Marker is at the intersection of Baker Road and Route 9, in the median.

One of four Veterans Administration Centers in West Virginia.

Spelling allowances, based on services provided.

Since the beginning of man's history, all great nations have honored, respected, and provided certain benefits for their veterans, realizing that had it not been for the sacrifices of the men and women who fought their battles, the nations themselves would cease to exist.
All know that veterans have made many sacrifices for their country, which are not demanded of the majority of citizens. For this reason, veterans are a special group, which have earned specific consideration. While needs may be considerable, what we offer falls short of what is due.

Marker at 601 South Queen St., Martinsburg.

Boydville Mansion

Then there was the one that got away.

This was on one side...

The other side said this...

Like the last pay check. Gone.
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote