Oddometer: 672
awesome mate thanks for that.
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #512
Jack Rabbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
throttle lock

Has anyone put a throttle lock on a 750?
I haven't sourced the parts yet but it looks like the throttle tube is the same as the DR 650. I saw on the 650 thread that some people grind/sand off the hump on the inside of the throttle tube. I already bought the throtle lock and was wondering if it was easier to remove the hump or source out a new tube. If I go with the tube, does anyone know if there is a tube that fits in the housing or will I have to get one of those too?
Thanks Experts.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
Jack Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #513
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
I would be glad to help, but I really not sure what is throttle lock? Is is some kind of mechanical cruise control thing? Most common parts between DR Big and DR is between DR Big and DR 600, not 650. But with more details I will try to help....
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #514
Jack Rabbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
I would be glad to help, but I really not sure what is throttle lock? Is is some kind of mechanical cruise control thing? Most common parts between DR Big and DR is between DR Big and DR 600, not 650. But with more details I will try to help....
Yes a mechanical cruise control. I will have a closer look at the tube but i will most likely attempt to grind the hump off before I buy something.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
Jack Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:18 AM   #515
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
dr big 800

Hi fellow 800 owners i have been reading your posts and threads for the past 5 months with much interest I currently own a 2008 dr 650/ 2004 wr450f and have just bought a supermoto dr 800 but it needs heaps of work this a rear find as I have not seen any before I am from NSW Australia and as you can see am not very good with computors /cheers everyone.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:49 AM   #516
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Hye Guys

Welcome to ladder,uberthumper and robmoto new members since my last front page ( post 1 ) update, have allso upgraded Links

Jabroka cool picks, inspirational, Also could you please give full link for clutch kits as I couldnt find and wanted to add to Front page

Just out off interest have I my DRs Carb in bits at moment they are full off junk so once cleaned Mr 800 should be back on road Again all those picks have got me Drooling

Also I will perhaps then be able to catch up with some of my fellow Kiwi (New Zealander) DRBIG owners in person, sorry if Ive been a snob but Bussiness and Life in general have kept me snowed under and the police taking my liscence away for a while didnt help either, cant wait to Get Bessy on the Road Again
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:20 AM   #517
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Just out off interest have I my DRs Carb in bits at moment they are full off junk so once cleaned Mr 800 should be back on road Again all those picks have got me Drooling
Sounds familiar, had mine in bits the other weekend to try and figure out why I'm only getting about 26 miles per (UK) gallon (10l/100km). A clean, new float valves/adjusted float height, and a new air filter seems to have helped a bit (I still haven't hit reserve on the current tankful), but I imagine I might be pulling them apart again to replace jets/needles at some point.

Since we're talking about it, how much fuel should a DR800 with stock jetting and a Laser/Jawa end can (on what looks like the stock downpipe) use? My gut feeling is it should be between 40 and 50mpg, and I've seen people on here mentioning 350km or thereabouts on a tank, which is a bit more than the ~200km to reserve I have been getting.

Oh, and apologies for the mess of units - UK based but riding an imported bike with km clocks, I'm getting pretty good at doing conversions in my head while riding along
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:48 AM   #518
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthumper
Sounds familiar, had mine in bits the other weekend to try and figure out why I'm only getting about 26 miles per (UK) gallon (10l/100km). A clean, new float valves/adjusted float height, and a new air filter seems to have helped a bit (I still haven't hit reserve on the current tankful), but I imagine I might be pulling them apart again to replace jets/needles at some point.

Since we're talking about it, how much fuel should a DR800 with stock jetting and a Laser/Jawa end can (on what looks like the stock downpipe) use? My gut feeling is it should be between 40 and 50mpg, and I've seen people on here mentioning 350km or thereabouts on a tank, which is a bit more than the ~200km to reserve I have been getting.

Oh, and apologies for the mess of units - UK based but riding an imported bike with km clocks, I'm getting pretty good at doing conversions in my head while riding along
Good grief my 4.2l diesel 4wd does about 10l/100k.
How big is the tank on an 800, I get about 280k before reserve (21l) with about another 6l of reserve.mind you it can be a lot worse than that, depends how I'm riding
Must be contagious 800rider, my carbs are in bits again, finally got the new tubes and needles and floats, think I'll leave the oversize jets in though.
Might be coming up for a King Country ride later in the year, I think there could be some other 750's there.
Bluesman. I gave up on extra valve clearance, nothing to do with performance, it just sounded awfull and rattly, might have another go later but it seems to have cut down on oil consumption a bit, no idea why
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 AM   #519
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

I guess you've got a 750? The 800 is I think a 24 litre tank, 5 of which is reserve.

And yeah, given I'm doing 270+ km a week just going to work, you can see why I am trying to sort the fuelling out!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #520
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

I have Benelli Tornado exhaust, 132.5 main jets and cut-out airfilter and my DR800 routinely does 400-420 km on tank (all 24 liter) in mixed riding without paying any attention to fuel saving - off, on, highway 120 + kmph. What amazed me is that consumption did not change a bit when I was travelling with my wife and appr. 25 kg luggage to Norway. Never goes over 6 liter /100.
I'd suspect fuel pump or one of previous owners messing with jet sizes.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:20 AM   #521
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
I have Benelli Tornado exhaust, 132.5 main jets and cut-out airfilter and my DR800 routinely does 400-420 km on tank (all 24 liter) in mixed riding without paying any attention to fuel saving - off, on, highway 120 + kmph. What amazed me is that consumption did not change a bit when I was travelling with my wife and appr. 25 kg luggage to Norway. Never goes over 6 liter /100.
I'd suspect fuel pump or one of previous owners messing with jet sizes.
Cool, well that gives me something to aim for at least.

I know the numbers on the jets/needles tie up with what the workshop manual says they should be for that year (1993). However since the bike ticked over 53000km at the start of the week I wouldn't be surprised if they are worn. I'll replace them with new at some point.

I may end up trying to find another set of carb bodies anyway, as the pilot screw is set solid into one of them and can't be adjusted. While I'm on the subject - Only one of the carbs has a pilot screw, the other has a brass plug where I'd expect it to be. Is this normal? I have no experience of dual-carb/single-cylinder bikes.

Fuel pump? Can you explain how this might be causing it to run rich, or what I should be looking for. Seems to me the fuel pump on the DR is so simple it should either work or not work.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #522
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthumper
Cool, well that gives me something to aim for at least.

I know the numbers on the jets/needles tie up with what the workshop manual says they should be for that year (1993). However since the bike ticked over 53000km at the start of the week I wouldn't be surprised if they are worn. I'll replace them with new at some point.

I may end up trying to find another set of carb bodies anyway, as the pilot screw is set solid into one of them and can't be adjusted. While I'm on the subject - Only one of the carbs has a pilot screw, the other has a brass plug where I'd expect it to be. Is this normal? I have no experience of dual-carb/single-cylinder bikes.

Fuel pump? Can you explain how this might be causing it to run rich, or what I should be looking for. Seems to me the fuel pump on the DR is so simple it should either work or not work.

Thanks.
Yes, only one pilot screw is adjustable. It is OK. Carbs are balancing each other.
By main jets I meant fuel jets in the carbs - they wont be worn, but they can be wrong size. If bike is 1993 (SR43B) they must be 130 jets. My DR at 90 000 now and carbs is OK.
On fuel pump subject - you are correct, it is totally primitive vacuum-operated pump...question is: are your bike running reach or just loose fuel when stationary? If first - well, that could be both pump (torn diaphragm) and carbs. Or just carbs.
If it is running reach a)make sure it is indeed stock pump b)check diaphragm in it. If it dried up it can do miracles - "pops" on each stroke sending surge of fuel to carbs.
Check airfilter housing. Make sure seat does not block for some reason air intakes. Check that small vacuum hose on right side of carbs is in place. But not all DRs seems to have it - looks like it is related with country of origin.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #523
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,876
Does one carb NOT have a pilot jet???

That would be strange. In California, some bikes came with brass or aluminum plugs pressed into the carb body to prevent owners from adjusting the idle mixture. Isn't this more likely?

If it is a plug, you can drill a small hole into the plug (Being VERY careful not to penetrate any deeper than just the plug itself which is probably about 3-4mm thick). Then screw a sheet-metal screw (self taping) into the hole - grab the protruding screw with ViceGrips and pull the plug out.

I'm making assumptions here.

My DR Big is somewhere on the Interstate right now on it's way here. I feel like a kid who knows where the Christmas presents are hidden but can't touch them for another week.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #524
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Does one carb NOT have a pilot jet???
They both have pilot jets (as in if you look down the bore of the carb from the engine end there is a small hole at the bottom.

One carb has a pilot screw on the outside which corresponds to the position of this hole.

The other has a brass plug pressed into it.

I'm guessing that you are meant to use the one pilot screw to match that carb to the other fixed one.

ICBW, this is a bit of a learning experience for me in terms of meddling with carbs. I've tended to view them as some sort of witchcraft in the past.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #525
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

That's correct - one is plugged. But no point in drilling it. Apart from the fact that I did it and found screw to be dead stuck and not even sure if I ever can turn it - they adjust perfectly with just one screw. Start messing with second carb screw- you will have real hard time balancing them later on.

I still treat carbs as withchcraft, despite I supposedly know how they work :)