Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
undersea4x2 OP
Big Bore wanna' be

Oddometer: 274
Tasmania Australia......2up X 3 bikes

Heres a RR on a trip I did to Tasmania with the good lady wife and two other couples.
  • The bikes were a Honda ST1100 (Battle Star)
  • KTM 990 (with an embarrisingly small range)
  • DL650 VStrom (AKA Mighty Boy!!) (yes thats mine)
For those from the Northern Hemisphere Tasmania is the Large Island off the southern coast of an even larger Island...........Australia.
In these parts its every bikers dream to "Do Tassie" and i can tell you its worth it. Things are not that "advanced" in Tassie so its a lot slower and quiter than the Mainland which after the era of footy trips and pissy weekends that good for me!
Time to ..............S L O W D O W N.
I'll explain some of the mundane to assist any of you who havent been yet and want some details.
  • It cost us $970.00 for a overnight berth in a cabin
  • Meals are $20.00 for the Buffet
  • Beers are nearly bar prices
  • You can get better deals if you wait to closer to the date as we booked well in advance for the Australia day Long weekend 22nd to 26th Jan
So.............to the RR
I mounted my camera to a bracket under the mirror arm to try some shots on the move..................with varying results as I'm fundamentally against removing a good grip on the bars to take a shot..........call me a coward??? Each to their own I say

Here's the Police making an early impression!

The Spirit of Tasmania. For those who dont know Tasmania is an Island to the south of a bigger island (Australia) and is considered by some to be Motorcycling Nervana, me included after this trip

Back road to Penguin on the north coast..........keeps you off the freeway and is a really nice run next to the Bass Straight

Heading south on the Murchison Hwy

undersea4x2 > South to strahan

Murchison Hwy going down into Heller Gorge
The image is blurred as I am trying to get some pix from a handle mounted camera, as you can see it needs some work!

A better shot on the fly......
Sometimes the vibration through the bars comes out in the image and other times it doesn't...............go figure?__________________

Heres Warren praying for a longer range............it never happened!!

Sercurity on the Strom............not a bad sort either!

The crew at Heller River Nature walk.....a good spot to stretch and walk off the 1st hour or 2 riding

Just after Heller Gorge the heavens opened up..........It can rain on the West Coast of Tasmania..................
Apparently it rains 300 days a year and it's not a summer shower either.
I didnt pack the pants for the wet gear so the draggins got a rinse in West coast rain ...................purest in the world!
If you notice I didnt wrap the panniers in the wet weather covers so when we got to Strahan all the cloths were wet as well.
The caravan park had industrial cloth dryers......................I wonder why??????????

We were in a bit of a rush as we got off the ferry and had to make it to Strahan for a Gordon River Cruise into a World Heritage Forest area and out to "Hells Gates" the entrance to Mcquarie Harbour and the Summer shower Tassie style stopped the photos for the rest of the trip into Strahan.

Once we got there it was out of the gear, into some civvies and down to the Harbour to get on a Catamaran and out to Hells Gates.
Due to the Shower we had on the way in to Strahan we had a bit of wind..........like 40 knots!!!
Heres me Neale and Waz showing off to the girls.......

Hells Gates in a 40 knotter............................

Hells Gate lighthouse

The jetty on to Sarah Island Penal colony which was for all 2nd offenders and 2nd only to Norfolk Island for harshness and Bastardization by guards to the Prisoners. The Guards werent much better off as their conditions were not much better

Prison ruins Sarah Island

Then it was off to the Heritage walk through the forest in search of the mythical Huon Pine....................
Not many left but I found this nymph lurking in the forest

Heres one we cut down to count the rings............................nearly 700 years old!!

The Eagle..............best $90.00 thrill ride I've been on in years!!!!!!!!!!and you get a feed as well.........The girls nearly ate their body weights in Smoked Salmon from the buffet...............and thats quite a bit..........

So after that it was off to the pub for some ale and mixers to get the land legs back and off to bed as we were STUFFED........a good first day......

Day 2 to come>>>>>>>>soonish

But how to dance in the rain.'

My RR's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482773

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tassie
undersea4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote