ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #571
Chanterman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 299
Bluesman, the carbs are off a 1991 gs500. I have aquired a fuel pump for a 850 Tenere and will be trying it out tomorrow so ??????
I will try for pics and answers
Chanterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #572
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,863
OK.....so the decompression lever will pull back and then "click" into an OPEN position.

When the engine starts, the lever automatically clicks back to CLOSED?

Is this correct?

I was assuming that one would have to hold the lever open and then release it at the proper time.....it seems that is incorrect.


Also it is recommended to stop the engine with the decomp. lever. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Ray
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #573
ztaj
jatz
 
ztaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Nelson-ish New Zealand
Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
OK.....so the decompression lever will pull back and then "click" into an OPEN position.

When the engine starts, the lever automatically clicks back to CLOSED?

Is this correct?

I was assuming that one would have to hold the lever open and then release it at the proper time.....it seems that is incorrect.


Also it is recommended to stop the engine with the decomp. lever. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Ray

Yes to both questions
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #574
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,863
Thanks for the help....just a afew jitters since I've not set eyes on the bike yet and don't want to do anything stupid .

To change topics - Has anyone seen or have links to photos of the DR750/800 Dakar bikes? I've seen many photos of the bike in the Dakar section of ADVrider but it's always with all the bodywork on.

How close is the production version to the race version? I understand that many modifications have to be made to allow a bike to finish the Dakar, but in the case of my Transalp/Africa Twin, the race version was far from what was offered for sake. The engine was entirely different etc. I'd like to know how close (or far away) the Suzuki bikes are from the racers.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #575
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,145
I have collection of all photos I could find with bodywork removed of real Dakar Zeta and various versions. But I can not attach them here it seems...I can drop it to your email if you need them.
Main difference in Dakar bike seems to be 820 cc bored out block, right engine casing cover slightly different and kick started installed.
Obviously there is more, i guess different gearbox ratios, different carbs and intake.
In terms of frame - dakar Zeta did not have rear subframe at all as such. It had huge plastic (may be there was some metal too) pillion with 2 fuel tanks and seat.
Also it have different airfilter with very good protection from sand and intake side seems to be in front of rear wheel with large filtering element facing rear wheel.
Different headlight and cover for it (can be bought on Stefan Hessler DR shop online), sump guard with what I think it water but could be oil. Bike have more clearance and really short exhaust.
Or I just email you photos I am looking at now and stop imposing somebody who knows something about it my information on DR Zeta is all from Internet, photos and books.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #576
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: waikato gravel and sand
Oddometer: 672
Ladder106 here's a link:
http://www.hessler-motorsport.de/ima...l/default.html
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #577
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,863
Many thanks,

My email is : ladder106@gmail.com

I'd love to see the photos. Oh, wait...are all the photos on the link from Dino 3310? If so, don't bother sending them. The link works well


Ray
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:10 AM   #578
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,145
No, not all but most :)

Sending in email rest of them. Quite a few more actually :) I hope it will be useful - some are action photos, but lot of detailed too :)
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #579
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jabroka's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
I have collection of all photos I could find with bodywork removed of real Dakar Zeta and various versions. But I can not attach them here it seems...I can drop it to your email if you need them.
Main difference in Dakar bike seems to be 820 cc bored out block, right engine casing cover slightly different and kick started installed.
Obviously there is more, i guess different gearbox ratios, different carbs and intake.
In terms of frame - dakar Zeta did not have rear subframe at all as such. It had huge plastic (may be there was some metal too) pillion with 2 fuel tanks and seat.
Also it have different airfilter with very good protection from sand and intake side seems to be in front of rear wheel with large filtering element facing rear wheel.
Different headlight and cover for it (can be bought on Stefan Hessler DR shop online), sump guard with what I think it water but could be oil. Bike have more clearance and really short exhaust.
Or I just email you photos I am looking at now and stop imposing somebody who knows something about it my information on DR Zeta is all from Internet, photos and books.
or you could upload them to photobucket for all of us to see
jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:17 AM   #580
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jabroka's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
I found that getting rid of 13 kg of stock exhaust (God knows who designed it!) hung right on top of bike under pillion is SO changing "weight" feeling - I was amazed when I took it off!
I think now for me (short guy) my 800 and stock 750 feels same weght-wise. So, if you get 800 - unbolt stock exhaust just right away
Im in the procces of removing stock exhaust but dont know wich direction i should go.. buying a plug & play pro duro, marving or something similar is way too expensive to me due to exchange rates, so ill have to buy some titanium or carbon slip on from ebay, they usually sell cheap if you are good searching. ( I got an almost new yoshi carbon TRC for my gixxer for 50 USD )

wich inlet diameter do you think i should go for? 1.5" 2" 2 1/4" ? i believe the header is 1.5, right?
jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #581
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,145
Well, header is 1.5 but do not go for end can of 1.5.
Go for 2 1/4 and weld adaptor on header or link pipe. I did that using Benelli Tornado tre can and happy with results
Why? Because 1.5 cans are not ideal volume-wise for huge mono like DR.
And avoid carbon. Please please, avoid carbon. And if possible - avoid "thin" and "superlight" exhaust.
I have collection of photos from our DR colleagues with blown to bits supertrapps, carbon exhausts etc. - DR pulses are too much for carbon.

Try to get stock exhaust can from laaaarge displacement sport, sport touring or roadster bike. One of finest ways to go - make and Y-link pipe and buy couple of oval stock aluminium end cans from Ducati Monster 900+. If you do that - I bet your bike will sound beatiful and engine will breathe OK.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #582
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,145
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BENELLI-LE-900...1%7C240%3A1318
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #583
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Letsgo21's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Hannut,Belgium
Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
No, not all but most :)

Sending in email rest of them. Quite a few more actually :) I hope it will be useful - some are action photos, but lot of detailed too :)
I'd love to recieve that mail
__________________
The blues is the soundtrack to reality
Letsgo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #584
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,136
Another possible candidate:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160317361748
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #585
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,863
Photos

Bluesman,

Many thanks,

I'll post a afew of the more detailed photos here.










Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014