User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #23
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
The last ride for our South Cape lounge act was from San Jose to Todos Santos over the Sierra de la Laguna mountains. This is a sweet ride and is also manageable on bigger bikes. I first rode it on my 800G/S in '94...the road is better these days than it was then, having just been hit with a hurricane.

While there might be different names for this route, I have always known it as the "Rancho Naranja Road" as that is the signage on the highway turnoff. This road heads west off of Hwy #1 about 11 kms north of the San Jose airport...

I had scouted out potential breakfast spots along the highway out of San Jose the day before so our breakfast choice would be an easy one. This strip of highway is very urban with a range of businesses lining the way up to the airport.

We had a typical Baja breakfast ...."Huevos revueltos con machaca y tortillas...si, maize, por favor...y cafe....gracias...".

Ordering machaca is an experiment: sometimes it is a succulent blend of shredded dry beef sauteed with onions and peppers and is the most perfect addition to scrambles eggs....while at other times it is tasteless dry shredded beef than seems like it has just been planed off of some caballero's riding boot....

I believe this place hit the middle of the road mark...

We were quick about it...

And then north out of town for the rest of it.

The concept for the day was to ride over the mountains to the Pacific coast where we would come out on Hwy #19 south of Todos Santos at around the town of El Pescadero...or just a bit south of it, depending on the usual created by my map-reading skills...

The Rancho Naranja road heads due west for several miles and invites some higher speeds as you approach the "foothills"...

Last time there, we had a welcoming committee...this time not...

We stopped for an orienteering session once we found ourselves into the hills...

And once adequately oriented...

We headed off...

And wove our way along a good road with very little traffic....maybe several vehicles in the course of a few hours...

The road can be seen winding westward off in the distance...

My first stop was to take a few pics in an area that was prone to washouts and was sporting one of those road features you find out in the middle of some Baja nowheres....a hand-paved road section comprised of local flat stone and cement. Yhese road improvements tend to be constructed to minimize erosion....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged screwed with this post 02-23-2009 at 08:59 AM
motoged is offline   Reply With Quote