User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 AM   #631
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,716
filter

Hi Nave thats a nice piece of work would that work in a 750 air box.
robmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 AM   #632
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
Hi Nave thats a nice piece of work would that work in a 750 air box.
see if the air filter u want to use fits the air box.
i wanted first to use the air filter without the air box but i have found out that the air box has some very importent functions- 1- "calm" air around the air filter and 2- keeping most of the dirt out.

this is how the air filter looks like in the paris- dakar bike the dr-zeta:

nave screwed with this post 02-27-2009 at 06:02 AM
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #633
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
which one is that? This is certainly not Rahier's (camel team) and not Marlboro Zeta - they did not have square frame tubing anf airfilter was under seat in front of rear wheel (see couple of pages back in this tread). I think I did not see photos of this one....you have more photos of that bike?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #634
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Ah! Found that one too in my photos :) I prefer Marlboro setup of filtering - I am going to try to replicate it on my bike, or at least get close to it....
This is Marlboro zeta (I think it is not SR43 based) - not sure...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...arlboro_03.jpg

The one on your photo Nave - that's DR Zeta made on base of SR43 DR800
Old 02-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #635
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Here we go

Old 02-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #636
nave
Nave

thats a 1997 dakar bike (pilot- gilles) for more info ask- stefan hessler...

Old 02-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #637
nave
Nave

marlboro team...

now that i finelly know how to upload pix ...
becouse this thread is worthless without pix!

nave screwed with this post 02-27-2009 at 07:18 AM
Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #638
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I agree on that one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...arlboro_03.jpg

Just liked some more pics of it, don't have a clue on how to start replicating
Old 02-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #639
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Hey, BTW - I left you PM on site - I have all contact info except your email :) send it to me in PM - I will email you all all modified DR photos I have and all Dakar photos I found on Internet ;)

Technically everything is possible but best is to think for a long while and then do it. So far my 6 years in university as mechanical engineer and few years of work only found application in making something from nothing in garage, while moving to IT business and office work brings me salary that's why I am so obsessed with working on bikes - 2nd generation of engineers resulted in me being office worker but it's my big hobby.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #640
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Hey, BTW - I left you PM on site - I have all contact info except your email :) send it to me in PM - I will email you all all modified DR photos I have and all Dakar photos I found on Internet ;)

Technically everything is possible but best is to think for a long while and then do it. So far my 6 years in university as mechanical engineer and few years of work only found application in making something from nothing in garage, while moving to IT business and office work brings me salary that's why I am so obsessed with working on bikes - 2nd generation of engineers resulted in me being office worker but it's my big hobby.
Yeah, knowledge+skills+passion=great results!

Thats fantastic!, ill pm my adress right away!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #641
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

About Marlboro Zeta.
According to info I found in Belgium which kinda originating from Rahier's team (true or not - not sure) do not be fooled by stock-like looks of that Marlboro Zeta. Half of bike made of titanium (but to same shape as stock) as well as all bolts and nuts. It had 2 oil coolers too.
That thing according to info I found was 155 kg dry weight and 67 BHP and carried 64 liter of fuel!
I might be talking rubbish here, but this is what I found - don't shoot messenger....
Basically - that bike was "edge" back then, but nowadays IF they (suzuki) would have built it as production bike they easily could have put on the market something with just 24 liter tank instead of 64 liter monster, less titanium but more contemporary technology (read:sofistication) and EFI I guess we would have 160 kg dry 65 reliable BHP production bike with off and on road capability and enough size to carry luggage available from Suzuki dealers at price of somewhere between 690 and 990 KTM. Guess what it would've made to other dual sport sales including high-end machines.
Life is unfair
Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #642
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
arrow exhaust for xt600

I found cheap a race arrow exhaust (muffler+mid pipe) made for an xt600. Talked to the seller who told me that the mid pipe id is about 40mm, so very similar to the dr800 header. So in terms of fit, I guess the combo will work, but do you think that it will also work power-wise?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #643
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,805
Hi Nave,

Thanks for sending the photos....it's very helpful. I kept trying to imagine what your air cleaner modification would look like.....I failed miserably.

I quess I'm a "visual learner".

In any case, I'm happy to see you back here and also happy that more photos are being posted now. Your bike is very nicely done.

Thanks to everyone that's assisted this DR "noob" so far. I'm still finding the bike quite amazing. Rebuilding the front brake caliper today. It looks like the front pads are the same as those on the early (pre 96) DR650, so I can easily replace pads.

I plan on sending an e-mail to Herr Hessler today to inquire about brake discs and stock air filters.

A few people have said that the stock air filter frame might be used and modified with foam from a Twin-Air or other foam filter. I'd like to do that but am a bit confused about how to go about it.

Unlike my other bikes that take air fron the interior of the filter straight into the engine (air flows into the airbox - through the filter - then into the intake) the DR 750 (SR41) takes air into the center of the filter first then the air goes through the filter and clean air fills the entire airbox. I assume this is due to the large "gulps" of air the the engine takes.

The air filter element is unsupported on the inside and supported by expanded wire mesh on the outside. This makes sense since the element is supported against the air flow.

It appears that to modify the filter with foam I would have to remove the rubber "snorkel" and cut open the sheet metal on the outside of the box as shown in other posts....then remove the paper element and reline it with air filter foam.

This is not beyond my abilities but I would like to know if I should change jetting to accomdate this modification. Does the air-flow increase enough with the increased opening to require a larger pilot jet and raising the needle one notch?

It also seems that a potential "weak point" in the stock system is that the seal between the sheet metal part of the filter and the plastic airbox is critical. If this seal is bad, dirt just flows directly into the carbs. Adding more sealant here (grease, foam, etc) would probably be a good idea.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #644
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
I found cheap a race arrow exhaust (muffler+mid pipe) made for an xt600. Talked to the seller who told me that the mid pipe id is about 40mm, so very similar to the dr800 header. So in terms of fit, I guess the combo will work, but do you think that it will also work power-wise?
Can you send photo? If it is exhaust I think (stainless steel? Not very large diameter?) then you are lucky and snap it right away. Generally IMO arrows is ones of the best in terms of performance and sound. Even Acrapovic in interview told that this is only company in Europe he considers his direct competitor.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #645
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Hi Nave,

Thanks for sending the photos....it's very helpful. I kept trying to imagine what your air cleaner modification would look like.....I failed miserably.

I quess I'm a "visual learner".

In any case, I'm happy to see you back here and also happy that more photos are being posted now. Your bike is very nicely done.

Thanks to everyone that's assisted this DR "noob" so far. I'm still finding the bike quite amazing. Rebuilding the front brake caliper today. It looks like the front pads are the same as those on the early (pre 96) DR650, so I can easily replace pads.

I plan on sending an e-mail to Herr Hessler today to inquire about brake discs and stock air filters.

A few people have said that the stock air filter frame might be used and modified with foam from a Twin-Air or other foam filter. I'd like to do that but am a bit confused about how to go about it.

Unlike my other bikes that take air fron the interior of the filter straight into the engine (air flows into the airbox - through the filter - then into the intake) the DR 750 (SR41) takes air into the center of the filter first then the air goes through the filter and clean air fills the entire airbox. I assume this is due to the large "gulps" of air the the engine takes.

The air filter element is unsupported on the inside and supported by expanded wire mesh on the outside. This makes sense since the element is supported against the air flow.

It appears that to modify the filter with foam I would have to remove the rubber "snorkel" and cut open the sheet metal on the outside of the box as shown in other posts....then remove the paper element and reline it with air filter foam.

This is not beyond my abilities but I would like to know if I should change jetting to accomdate this modification. Does the air-flow increase enough with the increased opening to require a larger pilot jet and raising the needle one notch?

It also seems that a potential "weak point" in the stock system is that the seal between the sheet metal part of the filter and the plastic airbox is critical. If this seal is bad, dirt just flows directly into the carbs. Adding more sealant here (grease, foam, etc) would probably be a good idea.
For airflow scheme - you got it spot on. Close to ideal scheme is filter into laaaaarge airbox for big twins and singles.

As for fuelling - no way you can know it prior to modifications. Just go ahead - jets are standard mikuni jets, worst case you will have to spend 10 bucks to change them to suitable size.
For foam filter - here is photo to help you - one of variants...
The GURU of DR Big Stefan Hessler did that