Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #1051
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Do you guys think the dealer would raise the forks and adjusting the rear shock "lollipop" to raise the rear as part of my, fitting process?
giogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #1052
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by giogolf
Do you guys think the dealer would raise the forks and adjusting the rear shock "lollipop" to raise the rear as part of my, fitting process?
If I were the dealer, I'd not due to liability issues. He's opening up himself to a 'gimme' lawsuit if you ever crash.

I hate this legal system we have. It just stinks.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #1053
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
If I were the dealer, I'd not due to liability issues. He's opening up himself to a 'gimme' lawsuit if you ever crash.

Are you saying raising the bike will make it less stable? If so are the 2007-08 bikes more stable because they are raised an inch more than the 09's?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #1054
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide

There should be no problem, it is a standard adjustment for the bike -- it is not a case of making an adjustment counter to the manufacturer's recommendations. It is an easy adjustment to do yourself -- I in fact will raise the height of my bike back up a bit as I have my bike on a lift to change a rear flat -- but why not ask for it to be included as part of the purchase?

BTW, don't try to turn that lock nut and adjustment screw with the rear shock still attached to the swingarm. You need to pull the bolt out of the swingarm; loosen the lock nut; and then turn the bottom eye bolt of the shock to the desired position. Of course you need the right tools, including a rather large hex driver or socket ...

matloik screwed with this post 03-13-2009 at 01:12 PM
matloik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #1055
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by giogolf
Are you saying raising the bike will make it less stable? If so are the 2007-08 bikes more stable because they are raised an inch more than the 09's?
I have no idea. I do know that modding the suspension out of the design will expose the dealer to a suit - and the suit will prevail - if you crash. It's a guarantee.

Reason has nothing to do with it nor does engineering. It's all in our legal system which will kill the dealer if *anything* were to happen to you.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #1056
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik
BTW, don't try to turn that lock nut and adjustment screw with the rear shock still attached to the swingarm. You need to pull the bolt out of the swingarm; loosen the lock nut; and then turn the bottom eye bolt of the shock to the desired position. Of course you need the right tools, including a rather large hex driver or socket ...
This sounds cool! I looked at my bike and saw what you're talking about.

How far can you unscrew the "lollypop" without compromising the integrity of the assembly? It seems like a mere 1/4" would result in a ~1" increase at the rear wheel.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #1057
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster
This sounds cool! I looked at my bike and saw what you're talking about.

How far can you unscrew the "lollypop" without compromising the integrity of the assembly? It seems like a mere 1/4" would result in a ~1" increase at the rear wheel.
well, there are "adjustment" ranges given in a few places for the X-Co bikes, you could do some measuring to make sure you are well within the maximums of the range and then use the ratio (based on the lever arm difference between the shock attachment and the axle like you described) to decide how much adjustment you think is safely left in the shock - that should keep you well within safe margins because it should stay within what BMW would be willing to do for you at their shop... Beyond that I'd want to pull it all the way apart, see how much extra thread there is on the male lollipop rod, and look at how deep the female threads extend into the shock body before I'd do anything outside the normal range...
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #1058
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,570
I haven't pulled apart my rear end yet, but this info about the lollipop from Somber is a revelation. Does anybody have the Shop Manual? Wouldn't the Shop Manual have info about ride height adjustments? Seems to me that if BMW provides a shock on the bike that can be adjusted for ride height, then it's gotta be OK to adjust the ride height.

I just finished putting stiffer springs in my forks (.57kg replacing the OEM .47kg) that reduced my front sag by about an inch. Was planning on swapping out the shock spring too. But if I can adjust my ride height in the rear by an inch, that might be all I need.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #1059
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
I haven't pulled apart my rear end yet, but this info about the lollipop from Somber is a revelation.
A revelation, indeed! I'd assumed (that d*mn word!) that the lollipop was an assembly point, not an adjustment point. But it makes sense ... if it wasn't intended to be adjusted, it would be part of the casting (or forging).

If someone has definitive knowledge, please let the inmates know!

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #1060
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
rear shock adjustment

BTW, a while back I had my rear shock replaced under warranty. I asked the BMW shop to set it to the lowest adjustment position (so the bike sits teh lowest). The "eye" bolt was screwed in all the way. When I bought my bike it was adjusted to to the hightest riding position. AFAIR, there is about 3/4" of range. I just adjusted it to about mid-way, and dropped the front end by about 7 mm. You guys with '09s might want to find out also if my recollection is correct that the 09 shock is shorter. That might mean the longest rear shock adjustment on an 09 may not correspond to forks fully pulled down.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #1061
fronton
young is the old new

Oddometer: 237
Cee Bailey

So no one has a Cee Bailey windshield and a pic? Cuts deep, not wonder they are so expensive then... no ones buying
fronton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #1062
giogolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Update: The dealer said they would raise the bike for me as part of the prep and fitting to my specs for me if I buy the bike.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #1063
Tempesta
I know, right?

Oddometer: 68
Cee Bailey windshield

I think it's the tallest windshield they have. Perhaps the smaller ones look better, but this blocks the wind well for me (I'm 5'9"). I get a bit of wind in my face and higher but below the chin is totally dead air. I do a lot of highway riding to get to and from work.

It came with the windshield already attached to the brackets. Very easy installation. By the time I unfolded the instructions, we already had it installed.

An odd thing happened, one of the welds broke where the bracket meets the part that clamps to the handlebars, a couple of months after it was installed. Cee Bailey sent me another bracket immediately. I haven't installed it yet (What? It's winter!) so I don't know if it was a bad weld or bad design.
Tempesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #1064
fronton
young is the old new

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempesta
I think it's the tallest windshield they have. Perhaps the smaller ones look better, but this blocks the wind well for me (I'm 5'9"). I get a bit of wind in my face and higher but below the chin is totally dead air. I do a lot of highway riding to get to and from work.

It came with the windshield already attached to the brackets. Very easy installation. By the time I unfolded the instructions, we already had it installed.

An odd thing happened, one of the welds broke where the bracket meets the part that clamps to the handlebars, a couple of months after it was installed. Cee Bailey sent me another bracket immediately. I haven't installed it yet (What? It's winter!) so I don't know if it was a bad weld or bad design.
Thanks for posting! It seems odd that you still get wind blast on half of your helmet only being 5'9" with a 22" shield. I'm 6' and was intending to make due with the 18" midsize Euro. Yikes! Good to know they took care of your bracket problem. I may order through the 8% discount place- https://www.riderspecialties.com/sto...cat=307&page=1

Anyone else have one?
fronton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #1065
onemoreokie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28

Is that an airhawk seat pad? It looks like it fits nicely on the bike filling up the "step" in the seat. What size is it?

Thanks
onemoreokie is offline   Reply With Quote