Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,778
Long D/S Ride: What I took, What worked, What didn't...

Recently home from a long trip in Mexico on the Superenduro, that included a few thousand miles of dirt ridden at speed, and a few thousand miles of road, ridden at speed, and a few thousand miles of freeway, getting there and back. All in all, a good test of equipment, and I wanted to comment on what I took, what I liked, and what I'd change for next time. I'm going to do this in small batches... so please be patient.

I spent some time in one place, not traveling, so I wanted to have enough amenities for that, but I also wanted to keep the load minimal so that the bike would ride well. I struck a reasonable balance but would bring less stuff next time.

Here's the bike all loaded up:

Here is everything I took for 6 weeks, except a pair of shorts so I wasn't trapsing around nekkid, skeering the neighbors:

I'll start with a list. If you have questions about anything, please ask away!

Bike:
2007 KTM 950 Superenduro
advtank rally rear tank + 2 into 1
Renazco Saddle
20x number plates from racing Baja 1000 (optional)
Wolfman Expedition Saddlebags
Wolfman Expedition Top Bag
Lots of web straps w/ fastex buckles
Hilslammer longpegs/ Blackdog Skidplate + rack
Baja Designs Racelight (homemade mounting bracket)
Superplush Suspension
TKC80 front, 908RR rear / Scorpion F + R
Homemade racks
homemade windscreen

Personal stuff:
knife/ lighter
pen/ journal
book
Olympus E-1 camera + 14/54 lens + batteries, flash, memory, charger
Canon A560 + memory
ipod + ER-6 + apple headphones + charger
passport/ title/ insurance/ cash/ cards
maps
GPS 276c + BiciMapas mapset
Kriega R15 pack/ Hydration

Bike Stuff:

18" tube
2 x 21" tubes
small tube of tri-flow
small bottle of chain lube
small bottle of engine oil
complete toolkit

Camping stuff:
North Face Climbing Bivy Sack
Marmot 20 degree down bag
Long thermarest

Riding Stuff:
Arai XD w/ light smoke shield
Oakley Goggles w/ clear lens + spare
Aerostich Darien Jacket
Klim Dakar gloves (2 sets)
Thor Coldpro gloves
Aerostich Triple-digit Raincovers
Kidney Belt
Klim Dakar Pants
Aerostich Darien Pants (w/o knee pads)
Thor Knee Guards
Klim Riding Socks
Sidi Crossfire Boots (non SRS)

Clothing:
2 pairs nylon shorts
1 pair nylon convertible pants
1 pair cotton shorts
2 t-shirts
1 button down unwrinkleable travel shirt
Klim Inversion Jacket
Chaco sandals
packmocs

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Sounds like a fun trip.
I was wondering how your Arai XD worked with goggles. My felling was I would be better off taking the windscreen off when I use goggles with that helmet. But, maybe it doesn’t matter?

PS: windscreen refers to the windshield on the helmet.
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 03-19-2009 at 11:18 AM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,226
Mexico Gear

Hola Ned,
I've been running the Klim jacket on my latest misadventures but used to use the Darien; I'm thinking the Darien would offer substantially more protection in the event of a biff...How about the Klim Dakar pants. That Klim stuff is so well made.
Anyway, this is making me want to head south...again.
Laters,
Jim
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Oldrice
oldrice.com

Oddometer: 527

Oldrice-

AJS Trials, CB250K0, XL250K0
Oldrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 972
How was the bike on that kind of trip? How does it hande the highway miles and whats the comfort at speed with the wind deflector?
tundra61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
A Ned Thread
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,105
that bike looks sweeet..this is going to be good..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
stephano
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
I'm also wondering about the Arai XD. Looks like a good helmet but the whole windshield thing / possible goggle usage without the windshield / both at the same time...seems weird but if it works then cool.

Nice looking bike too.

A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take away everything you have.
Your Government cannot give you something without taking something away from someone else.

I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul. - Tobymac.
stephano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat
I was wondering how your Arai XD worked with goggles.
Since there are a few questions about that, I'll start there.

The XD allows you to put goggles on without removing the face shield, and run the face shield either up or down with the goggles on.

I used only the faceshield about 90% of the trip, switching to goggles for dusty sections and when it was really, really hot and I wanted the extra airflow.

The XD looks great, having a visor is very nice in many situations, and the fit and finish are pure arai- excellent. And I hate this helmet.

It's noisy, it catches every little bit of breeze and buffets like it was designed by a chiropractor who wants to fix your neck, and the ventilation isn't that good. And the visor vibrates in the right wind and chatters off the helmet. And my ER-6's drag the outside of the helmet and transfer noise into my ear.

Most of the way through the trip, I got so fed up that I shipped the XD home and bought an Airoh like this one:

It's crazy quieter, more comfortable, less buffetty, and was even pretty cheap. The only downsides are that the hinge is more fussy and you can't wear goggles with the face shield in place, you have to disassemble it for that.

They aren't sold in the US, either, because they don't have DOT rating (they are Euro certified, which as I understand it is more stringent).

I really like the helmet, though, and would recommend it to anyone willing to stop by a H-D dealership and pick up a DOT sticker.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
The XD looks great, having a visor is very nice in many situations, and the fit and finish are pure arai- excellent. And I hate this helmet.

It's noisy, it catches every little bit of breeze and buffets like it was designed by a chiropractor who wants to fix your neck, and the ventilation isn't that good. And the visor vibrates in the right wind and chatters off the helmet.
You hated the XD.
I have heard comments like yours before. All I can say is, I am very happy with the helmet. I have not experienced these problems with it
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
JunkBunny
Don't mind the sarcasm..

Oddometer: 24
Wuttup with that BD light, Ned..
Does it have a hi/lo, or just a hi?

I'll be interested to read if you brought enough clothes. I always bring too many damn clothes. Always thinking I can mac with the local hotties, I end up bringing usless (nice looking) threads..
JunkBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
Hi Ned, nice setup. Have you reinforced, or had any problems with your subframe? Thanks.
LoFlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:35 AM   #13
elisdad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Wolfman bags

Hi Ned,

How did the expedition bags hold up for you on the trip? I have been researching the wolfman stuff and they seem to make great bags.

Eric
Old 03-21-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Since there are a few questions about that, I'll start there.

The XD allows you to put goggles on without removing the face shield, and run the face shield either up or down with the goggles on.

I used only the faceshield about 90% of the trip, switching to goggles for dusty sections and when it was really, really hot and I wanted the extra airflow.

It's noisy, it catches every little bit of breeze and buffets like it was designed by a chiropractor who wants to fix your neck, and the ventilation isn't that good. And the visor vibrates in the right wind and chatters off the helmet. And my ER-6's drag the outside of the helmet and transfer noise into my ear.

Most of the way through the trip, I got so fed up that I shipped the XD home and bought an Airoh like this one:

It's crazy quieter, more comfortable, less buffetty, and was even pretty cheap. The only downsides are that the hinge is more fussy and you can't wear goggles with the face shield in place, you have to disassemble it for that.

They aren't sold in the US, either, because they don't have DOT rating (they are Euro certified, which as I understand it is more stringent).

I really like the helmet, though, and would recommend it to anyone willing to stop by a H-D dealership and pick up a DOT sticker.
Great choice of helmet. I was able to wear goggles with mine though...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #15
maguireb
Suzuki Bob

Oddometer: 43
Wink Thanks for the listing

I just want to to say a quick word of thanks for sharing the list. I have taken 2 day trips and suffered because I had a long list of things I packed just in case.

I suppose the one thing I need to pack is a few things to eat and find when doing off road and getting a work out my blood sugar drops. I have been munching the powerbars but find beefjerky which is salty is a must bring with me staple.

As for water did you purchase this along the way or have you sourced a water purification system you can recommend?

One other item I tend to overpack is with the first aid kit. I'm always careful to have supplies on hand in case someone needs to help me or I'm able to help someone else. The trick is to make it the easiest item to extract from my bag which means by the end of any ride I hate the inconvenience of moving the darn thing and I always feel thankful it was an annoyance but a reminder at the end of the ride that I was lucky I never needed to use it.

When you pack for longer rides do you take an extra spark plug(s)? Oil filter?

As for helmets I have the full face style where the entire front lifts and an open face MX style HJC DOT helmet you need goggles with. I prefer the open face with goggles -- why because of one ride a bumble bee got under the face shield and crawled across my face while I was in the process of slowing down from highway speeds and getting to the shoulder of the road. I was never stung but stayed calm. The lesson was I have never had a bumble bee under my goggles so they are uncomfortable and fog at low speeds and are drying on the eyes at higher speeds but they are bullet proof in preventing a bumble bee sting around the eye so will always be preferred over a shield on my lid.
2001 200 DRSE 3800 km's
2001 650 DRSE sold in 2010
maguireb is offline   Reply With Quote