ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Anchor OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Newb Alert - Need Info on Taskers Gap, VA

Returning to the dirt from wence I came after a 20 year absence. I've been riding on the street all that time but I recently picked up a DRZ250 (and a KLX140L for the OL). My plans are to dual-sport the 250, but until then I'll be giving the bikes a ride in a truck. Does anyone have info on the Tasker's Gap and Peters Mill Run Area in VA? How's the parking. I assume it can get busy on the trails. Any suggestions on trail routes? Maybe some easy ones to get the SO acquainted to her new bike (she's ridden street for 10 years). I'm aware of the permit requirement and my search here unveiled the links to the OHV "Motor Vehicle Use Maps" as well as GWNF contact info (Ranger's Offices closed weekends) and I have a Viginia Atlas and Gazetteer. Any and all info appreciated. Other riding-area suggestions are welcome, too. I'm in the Northern VA area.
Great forum here. There are some hard core guys on the VA Tag-O-Rama. It'll be tough trying to keep up with the action.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
A group of us went out to Tasker's Gap back in December. Certain trails are very, very, rocky. But stick to the easier trails and they are a little more open fireroad type. We had a mini write up over on DAMNriders.org
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Anchor OP
n00b

Thanks Bucho.
Very helpful. I found it here:
http://damnriders.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=349&start=20
Any more hints out there?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
If you go in from Front Royal, take Fort Valley Road off of 55 west. You can get permits at the Fort Valley Store. Back track to Woodstock Tower Road, take that up to the trail signs. I've never noticed parking problems. As you travel up hill, approaching the trail head there is a HUGE parking area on the right. There is a primitive camp grounds at this end. Pit toilets, no potable water, so bring your own. The trail from this point to Edinburg Gap Road is passable with four wheel drive vehicles, and you may well encounter a few. Actually a good place to get back into it. There are off shoot trails that are a tad more technical [rough] if that's what trips yer trigger. Ya wanna be careful about staying where they indicate you are to ride. Gub-ment types will be on ya like white on rice for straying. Please don't give 'em ammo to pick off the rest of us. You will encounter hills, water, rocks and if it has rained, MUD.
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Anchor OP
n00b

Good info Trader. Thanks. The weather is lookin' fine and I'm stoked!