Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
JackL OP
T plus 16 months

Oddometer: 435
The One - T-minus 12 months

Ok, I just want to get this up quickly as a place holder & will add more over time. This is where I'll put a bunch of information and ask a lot of questions for THE ONE. The multi-decade-around-the-world-rest-of-our-life-trip my girlfriend & I are planning which is planned begin in June 2010.

Background: As you can see in my sig I've done a couple extended motorcycle trips in various parts of the world. I've also been to 38 countries & every US state. My travels began at the age of 3 when my family drove around the US for 18 months in an RV making & selling leather goods. I guess travel has been in my blood ever since. My girlfriend also loves travelling and has done one 14 month round the world trip on her own, although not on a motorcycle.
I've been dreaming of this since my first motorcycle trip around Europe in 2000 and after meeting my girlfriend in 2004 she decided it sounded like a wonderful way to spend our lives. We've had a planned departure date for 36 months. Over half way there now!

A couple pictures of us:

So far she has the bike she will ride, a 2008 Suzuki DRX 400, while I'm still working on getting mine. I just need to sell my Honda & Ducati this spring. After a lot of research & thought on my riding style & size I've decided on a 2007 or earlier KLR. This is because it doesn't look like the Yamaha Tenere will be sold in the US.

Our Very rough route will be:
Summer/Fall 2010: NW US, Canada, & Alaska then work at Whistler and be ski bums that winter.
2011: The rest of the US, retracing many of the places I went with my family as a child & seeing everything we want since we'll probably not be back. Winter that year in San Francisco where I'll research a book I want to write.
2012: South through Mexico where we'll attend the End of the World party onthe summer solstice at Chichen Itza. then the rest of central America
From there we'll work our way down the west coast of south America to TDF, then up the east coast as far as the Amazon. We'll stop & work a few various jobs for 6 months to a year whnever we can or find an area we really like.
Then off to west Africa somehere south of Morrocco, down the west coast of Africa to S Africa, up through east & central Africa dodging the hot spots to Egypt.
Next to Europe where we hope to live in Prague for a year or two. From there through the middle east & SW Asia. Who know the route here but we definately want to do the -stans, India, Mongolia, China & Tibet. Eventually through SE Asia, down the island chain of Indonesia & New Guinea, to Australia. Around it & end up in Perth some where after 2030.

Who knows how it will actually turn out, where we'll go, or how long it will take. As long as we point the front tires down the road on the first day and ride as long as we want, & can, we will have succeeded.

I plan on posting more on our preparations, bike setup, & general info as we go. We're still working on setting up a dedicated website & a lot of other things. As I post feel free to ask questions & offer suggestions, especially on places we should go, things we should experience & places we should stay.

I guess that's it for now. This will definitely be a work in progress & go through a lot of editing.

The Big Trip (aka Le Grande Tour), Year 1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585393

6 months in Europe on a Duc
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217104&highlight=jackl

JackLs Thailand/Cambodia Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=jackls

JackL screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 06:01 PM
JackL is offline   Reply With Quote