Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2004, 11:47 AM   #16
MuleTrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
Sort of...there is a preferences menu that lets you adjust relative priority between local ,secondary or major roads...
Thank you Sherpa; is that on the 2610 and Nav II? Any chance you know if the 276 has it?

Take care,
Chris
MuleTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #17
NJ_Bob
Occasional Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstewart77
Thank you Sherpa; is that on the 2610 and Nav II? Any chance you know if the 276 has it?

Take care,
Chris
The 2610(NAVII) has that feature. I don't know if the 276 does or not.

The 2610 is also water resistant.
Bob Naumann - W5OV - Sachse, TX - K1300GT - IBA #19100

NJ_Bob screwed with this post 10-07-2004 at 12:52 PM
NJ_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:46 PM   #18
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
I have the Streetpilot III, (screen is the same as 2610) and I feel like a sucker for purchasing it.

You can't read the screen AT ALL on a bright sunny day - time when you're the most likely to ride.

That's why mine will be hitting ebay.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:21 PM   #19
pbperrin
L-D rider and adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Question garmin

1st of all, for daytime screen brightness and contrast, try hitting the red light bulb button at the top and play with different settings. Works for me and i don't even have a 'hood' on my second SP3. I did have one on the 1st one, but the whole setup got lifted...

QUESTION - does the 276C or the 2610 have the ability to find coordinates? if you were told to go to 38W 42N could you input this and have the unit route you to it? This unfortunately cannot be done with the SP3.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:34 PM   #20
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbperrin
QUESTION - does the 276C or the 2610 have the ability to find coordinates? if you were told to go to 38W 42N could you input this and have the unit route you to it? This unfortunately cannot be done with the SP3.
Yes the SP2610, GPSmap 276C AND SPIII can do this.

The SPIII and SP2610 have only one position format
- latitude and logitude DD MM.MMM
whereas the GPSmap 276C has mulitple formats (and datums)
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 07:46 AM   #21
MTRREF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Back road option

[QUOTE=NJ_Bob]There is no "Back Roads Only" selection. But, you can select shortest distance, which will send you on some less travelled roads which in my case here in North Texas, works pretty well since major roads don't always go directly from pt a to pt b. If you're creative, you can select some intermediate destinations to force it off of the slab too.
QUOTE]

Actually you can get very close to a "back roads only" option by setting the machine up to "Avoid" highways and toll roads. This is a routing option on all of the Garmin GPS toys that do routing -- at least all of them that I've read the manuals on. This doesn't necessarily get you to dirt roads, but it keeps you off of slabs.

Jim
R1200RT
MTRREF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:04 AM   #22
pbansen
Hosehead

Oddometer: 434
Question 276C - a question for the experts

I'm also pondering the 276C vs. the 2610 and I'm wondering how necessary the Garmin memory card is to the 276. I've found that the base map works pretty well for the areas I generally ride in (I'm presently using a III+ and the base map in that is quite good and just about all I need). The potential for expansion is certainly a good thing, but I want to keep the cost to a reasonable level at least initially.

If you just buy the 276C without the 128 MB or 256 MB card, can you download routes and waypoints to the GPS or does it need the memory card to have the memory available to store the routes and waypoints? Or is 'map memory' such as you'd use with the City Select software different than 'route and waypoint memory'?

Thanks,

Pete Bansen
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 03:46 AM   #23
yzf1kr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
The memory card is only used for storing maps, the 276 stores waypoints, tracks and routes on its internal memory. (just like the 26xx)

The best comparisation between of a 276c vs a 26xx is to see them as an all-round vs a on-road unit.

The 26xx is designed for use on the road, especialy for in-car use. It has the best on-road features like area avoidance, large memory, touch screen.

But as soon as you get out of the car or of the paved roads the 276c is the superior unit. It has its own power-supply, large tracklog, off-road(=marine) navigation options etc etc.

So if you are spending most of your time on paved roads the 26xx is the best unit, but for any other purpose it is way behind the 276c.
yzf1kr is offline   Reply With Quote