test pic

testing pic size
DThrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #849
punkenduro
now in a cage...

Oddometer: 738
Ride Reports
nOOb vaLLey raLLy (death valley noob fest, 1000 miles of noobage)
save johnson valley ride day (ride day to "protest" the buying of land by the marines for bombing land they dont need)
bradshaw bomb run/ocotillo "dirtbike" ride (bradshaw needed jet skis, and crossing the boarder check with no plate)
lyle creek to mojave loop (2 broken coller bones, a 70 mph double, and lost beer)
W.A.R.P.E.D. (beer , bikes, and snow?)
Cleveland National OC ride (shitty ride report, just pics, beer, and flats)
so cal ride for kids (good weather, good riding, and its always good when my dad drops it)
panamint springs 09 (dry lake beds, cabins, and 950s falling over)
noob valley 10 (warm springs, changing pinch flats hung over in the heat, and my bike still doesnt like luggage)

punkenduro screwed with this post 03-29-2010 at 09:34 PM
punkenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #850
Phish
Fishbone

Oddometer: 2,368
Test

Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #851
punkenduro
now in a cage...

Oddometer: 738
Wicked

The Bike
09 klx250s (~17400 miles when photos where taken)- msr mirror, zeta hand guards w/ blinkers, utah skid plate, jetted, acerbis 3.7 gal tank, uni filter, kenda k760 rear, dunlop 908rr front, unabiker rad. guards, edge2 tail light, motopro fork springs, hmf can, fmf powerbomb header, motion pro clutch cable, drc brake-snake, protaper contour bar (atv hi bend), zeta big bar clamps, tusk fork socks, primary drive gold o-ring chain, 13 tooth front sprocket (for most riding, 14 for freeway or trips), zeta axle blocks, drc foot pegs, zeta quick turn throttle, works connection rear caliper guard, flush mount rear blinkers, fredette chain guard, b and b cycle restorations braided stainless brake lines, ebc contour rotors (front and rear), ebc mx-s pads (front and rear), driven shifter, and plenty of battle scars.

punkenduro screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 08:43 PM
punkenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:59 AM   #852
aidanK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Test, first post

Ride report pictures for 5 April

Fill-up

Beginning of the good stuff
aidanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #853
Ramathorn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
test

From motorcycle pics
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #854
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #855
Leecifer
Just like to ride

Oddometer: 91
testing testing

Bringin’ up the rear (so to speak) in Death Valley 2009

So here’s the Trip Planning link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422118

This is my first RR, so have patience with me, please. I’m writing it up in word and transferring it over, hope it turns out right. I did read the RR rulz, and felt the first day of the trip added to the whole experience. Hope nobody minds.

Kauf270, and anybody else: feel free to add as you see fit. I’ll try to do this one day at a time to give anyone else who went along to add pictures.

Two groups, one of two (these boys left early) and one of three traveling in the “shaggin’ wagon”, the “stabbin’ wagon”, or the “raper van”, as wickit’s wife calls it.
[/IMG]

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1239131003

We trailered our bikes 1100 miles from Washington to Beatty, NV on Wednesday, 17-18 hours down, and be riding Thursday, Friday and Saturday, leaving Saturday night.

I’m not much of a writer, so I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking.

Pre-trip packing:

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1239131335

Got the flat tire out of the way early, even before we left.

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1239131264

Packed trailer bearings, and picked up new seals, just incase.

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1239131412

Supplies? Check.

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1239131456

Packing up:

“Can I get some help here? Put your f’n crutch down and help.”
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1239131508

For those who don’t know, Wickit went for a “test ride” four or five days before we were to leave and blew out his ACL. He’s um… accident prone. I guess that happens when you hang it out a little. Gotta give him credit though, he nutted up and went. That probably had a little to do with the threat of the purchase of bonnet and apron if he stayed home.

Can’t get the key out of the roof box? No problem.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1239131604

Drag chain too long? No problem.

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...g?t=1239131649

Bike #1, Wickit’s got a 3.3 gal Acerbis tank, and will be putting in a gallon of fuel in antifreeze jugs inside each side bag.

Bike #2, my John Deere:

FF Wickit only took this picture because he thought I’d dump it riding it up the ramp onto the trailer. FYYMFF.
Bike #3, K’s KTM: This thing is like pushing a bicycle compared to my KLR.

Check out his Teraflex rear, it’s freaking huge!:

Damn near all loaded up and ready to go and the UPS man shows up with the package K’s been waiting for:

He’s one happy man. “Suhweeeet”

NOW we’re ready.

Here we go…

Fuel stop.

Bearings hot? Tires OK?

Had some weather on the way, over the Blue Mountains:

All was going fine until about here:

The road went from slush to a sheet of ice. At one point we’re doing 3 or 4 mph on a “supered” corner, one of those tilted freeway curves, and the van and trailer slide sideways toward the guard rail. I puckered up and had to get a tire iron to get the seat cover out of my bung. Here’s a picture of the road:

Time to switch to a fueled up driver:

Mood lights in the “shaggin’ wagon”:

“Dooooood, where’d you hide those Doritos?”
We took a side trip to make a fuel cache on the North end of the park so we could make the first loop.

This is as close to Scotty’s Castle as we got (nobody was very interested, we just wanted to ride):

Finally arriving at base camp:

Bail money? Check. Directions to the Courthouse? Check.

Not too bad for driving in crappy weather:

Actually the moving time is wrong; it took us right around 17 hours, but the odometer is right.

Time to unload and ride!

Like a dumbshit, I forgot to pack extra water and any food: too danged anxious to get on the road. FYI, if you are doing trails/roads in Death Valley, even in the Spring you will need a lot of water. I used up my 70 oz camelback by midday.

Headed out of town to the East, skipped Rhyolite as we were already running late, and had a long ways to go. Went straight for Titus Canyon.

I feel like we picked a great time of year to visit DV. The colors were amazing. During this first day, the winds were intense. Good solid 25 mph, gusts way higher. The nice lady at the Ranger Station said they expected gusts to 75mph at Ubehebe Crater. Back to Titus:

You can see the dust flying around in the background. It was actually pretty nice once we got down in the canyon.

Here’s Te610Moke:

Three of four:

Leadfield:

The whole “scale” thing goes out the window in Death Valley. What I mean is: when something seems big, it’s freaking HUGE! If it seems a mile away by sight, it’s probably more like five. Pictures definitely don’t do any of it justice. You need to go.

More Dust:

Here a photo to judge scale:

Break time.

Found this little guy on the way:

The rock formations and geology are amazing here.

Stopping at the fuel cache, ADV Salute!

Next Stop: Ubehebe Crater.

Couldn’t find a picture to do the crater justice. I ended up taking several of the crater in hopes of stitching them together. Haven’t had any luck yet finding a decent free stitching program. I mentioned forgetting food and extra water, but I didn’t forget the beer! (It was already in my tailbag.) I mounted the makeshift tailbag (I do own a KLR) with small machine head screws and fender washers, and the beers had been bounced around on Titus so much that the machine heads had worn rings around the cans, as well as holes. I started out with 8 beers, but only had 4 left by the time we got to Ubehebe! Gotta get a pad for next time.

FYYFF!

Off on the Racetrack Road:

Joshua trees are cool.

About here is where Moke lost a foot peg bolt. Luckily K brought a small box of nuts and bolts. In a few minutes we were on our way.

To the Racetrack, passing Teakettle junction:

Piss Break.

It’s a race:

Wished I’d have gotten a picture of this from the other direction. Didn’t realize at the time how much it looked like a tree.

Then over to Lippencott and North to Warm Springs. We hauled ass here, so few pictures. Steel Pass, I think it is, is steep and rocky, but not bad at all.

I had to throw this picture in here. Here Wickit is fueling up at the turn off to head toward Warm Springs, just after I snapped the photo, his knee gave out and he went ass over teakettle. Felt pity at the time, so no photo. I’ll say it again, you gotta give the guy credit for nuttin’ up and going. Good thing he had a new cushy seat, since he couldn’t stand at all.

Hauled some more ass to the Springs, where we found a bunch of nekkid folks. Now, I don’t mind nudity a bit, but when you’ve got families around and a couple are making out all hot and heavy in the middle of everything, it ruins the whole deal. In my opinion. Here’s K having a beer and jawing with some folks. Just behind him is the couple mashing, she had just gotten dressed, he was not.

Very cool setup at the Springs. Looked like a solar powered pump to regulate temp. Not sure how many pools, but quite a few. I wanted to take a dip, as did some of the other guys, but we were already way behind schedule.

This picture shows how much dust was in the air. I had already noticed that my bike was way down on power. I had over oiled the air filter and it was pretty plugged.

Shameless ADV plug:
(covers the big ass dent in the tank)

Back the way we came, then up and over Jackass canyon, which was very cool. By this time I hadn’t had any water for 4 or 5 hours and was f’n exhausted. I wrecked three times I think, before getting to the pavement.

The rest was pavement to Panamint Springs for fuel AND WATER. Then back to Beatty for food, beer and sleep. I think it was about 8:30 by the time we pulled into camp. I was a dumbshit for not getting food and beer photos. K brought some tri-tip, which we grilled and ate the first night, along with baked beans for entertainment and to keep warm. Good stuff.

End of day one.

Oh, and the title… Although this picture is of me, this was my view of the other guys most of the trip. Watching dust clouds in the distance. Hence: “Bringing up the rear.”

Bringin' up the rear in Death Valley

Leecifer screwed with this post 04-07-2009 at 02:47 PM
Leecifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: