Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,133
Drone's BMW G650 XCountry Mods

This bike was sold in the Flea Market--April 2012. Not monitoring this thread anymore. If you have questions for me, hit me up with a PM.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here's my 2009 BMW G650 XCountry. Got about 40 mods here.

Here are my mods in order based roughly on cost.

Staintune Muffler from Adventure Motostuff with Luggage Heat Guard from Advanced Performance Accessories

I wanted this muffler mostly because I thought the BMW muffler was just too freakin big! Made the bike look lopsided. The Staintune is just under 4” in width (10cm). The muffler seemed loud at first, but the first couple of times I rode with it I watched the pedestrians and other drivers and nobody turned their head or looked at me as I went by. The heat guard is just a silicone rubber tube held in place with a hose clamp over a piece of insulating tape. I plan to use “throwover” saddlebags on the bike and this guard seemed like the simplest solution for keeping the bag from getting too close to the muffler.

HID Driving Lights from Martin Fabrication

I did this mod because the BMW headlight is so weak. The bulb color is 6000k. Each light draws 35 watts and even with my heated grips on “high” my voltmeter shows over 12 volts, so the stator can handle the load OK. This mod was a bitch but the light output is freakin fantastic.

I fabricated the bracket for the ballasts from 1” aluminum U-channel (I have lots more if anybody wants some.) I cut a notch for the headlamp housing, then dehorned all the edges and corners before sanding and clearcoating. I mounted it using the lower headlight bracket that bolts into the fork brace. I couldn’t figure out any other way to install the ballasts where they would be secure and wouldn’t detract too much from the overall appearance of the bike. I wire-tied the pushbutton switch to the left mirror stem—the switch is part of the Martin Fab kit and acts as a momentary switch as well as on/off.

(Edit 6 months later: fantastic light output, but the drawdown was too much for the alternator to handle. I could only use the lights for 30 minutes or so then had to turn them off to let the battery recharge. Ended up removing them. Still looking for a better lighting mod.)

(Edit 1 year later: see page 7. Installed Visionx/Denali Solstice LED Aux Driving Lamps. Only 20 watts total draw.)

Custom Seat Mod from Erwin’s Custom Interiors

This seat duplicates Kicksave’s seat. I wanted to be able to slide back to the rear of the seat more easily and I got about an inch of seat height at the same time. Ron Erwin did a great job. I shipped him the seat then called him on the phone to discuss details. He got the job turned around in about two weeks for less than $300.

Edit (one year later): This mod did not turn out so good. The fabric split at the red/black seam in the 1st 1000 miles, and got worse as I put on more miles. I shipped it back to Erwins and they repaired it for free, but I don't have much confidence in the repair being better than the original.

Edit (two years later): Whatever Irwin did, it was the right thing. Seat is fine now, and looks good.

Luggage Rack from Touratech

I don’t really like this rack. And it’s overpriced. I’m waiting for something better to come out. (Edit 6 months later: Never did find a better tail rack so I made my own. See post #37 on page 3 of this thread.)

DRONE screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 10:41 AM
DRONE is online now   Reply With Quote