Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #106
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
A friend of mine noted that "...the Jesse's and engine guards had done their job." That was after I crashed my 1150GS and walked away with minor damage to my person. Now I still have solid functional luggage on my GS with only minor mostly superficial damage to one bag and rack. I could go out to the garage and bang it back to a better alignment but it's not necessary. It all still works and that is my point. Al makes some tough safety gear that works pretty damn well as luggage, too.

Now as to the black on black. I might send them back, too.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:55 AM   #107
RandyReider
Kind of a Big Deal

Oddometer: 140
Quick Release top Box?

There were already a couple requests for this, but would someone be able to post pics of the Jesse top box quick release system? I'd love to see how they work, if they're keyed, etc.

I'm just talked with Al yesterday and he said even though they are designed for the 650 and 800 that I could make it work on my 1150 GSA by drilling it out to connect the top box to the tool compartment.

Thanks!
RandyReider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #108
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Cry

Well, I can now report that even a minor drop [almost a standing still lay down on pavement] can bend the right side of the Jesse mounts to the point where the gas cap won't open. The bags [and my adv-spec crash bars] did protect the plastic though.

I'm disappointed. I had Jesse's on my R1100GS, R1150GS, and R1150GSA and subjected them to a lot of abuse without problems.

I think it's time for a call Al and/or Rick.
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #109
swolf
swolf

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday
Well, I can now report that even a minor drop [almost a standing still lay down on pavement] can bend the right side of the Jesse mounts to the point where the gas cap won't open. The bags [and my adv-spec crash bars] did protect the plastic though.

I'm disappointed. I had Jesse's on my R1100GS, R1150GS, and R1150GSA and subjected them to a lot of abuse without problems.

Sorry to hear about your drop. Thanks for posting this.

dholaday, did they become so badly bent in your little drop that you can't bend them back into place?

Just spoke with Rick - what a nice guy! Anyhow, he would like to see some pictures to show Al who he is going to see Thursday.

swolf screwed with this post 04-07-2009 at 09:06 AM
swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #110
ncooper
starting again

Oddometer: 101
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolf
Just spoke with Rick - what a nice guy! Anyhow, he would like to see some pictures to show Al who he is going to see Thursday.
Any update on this yet?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #111
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncooper
Any update on this yet?
Not really. I sent Rick pictures of the damage to my bag and the effect on my gas cap but we spent most of the last 2 weeks mis-communicating about an install issue on the left side. Now that that is resolved, I'm going to start working on the gas cap problem.

If this picture comes through, I'll post some more. If Not, Maybe someone can give me a tutorial.

http://gallery.me.com/dholaday/10002...12407848740001

As you can see, the hit occurred on the bottom front bag corner.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #112
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, clearly that didn't work. Are there instructions anywhere on how to upload photos to the forum?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #113
eneyman
Wannabe Ewan

Oddometer: 26
very cool cases, they look rugged and the edges/boxiness of them suits the cool edges of the 800.
eneyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #114
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Eek Personal Responsibility

Quote:
Not really. I sent Rick pictures of the damage to my bag and the effect on my gas cap but we spent most of the last 2 weeks mis-communicating about an install issue on the left side. Now that that is resolved, I'm going to start working on the gas cap problem.

If this picture comes through, I'll post some more. If Not, Maybe someone can give me a tutorial.

http://gallery.me.com/dholaday/10002...12407848740001

As you can see, the hit occurred on the bottom front bag corner.
Your posts are confusing me.

In summary what i believe i read was that YOU dropped your bike on the right side, and it tweaked the mounting frame for the bags. Am I to understand that you believe that YOUR accident should be the RESPONSIBILITY of Jesse Luggage?

That is an interesting twist. I thought that I purchased property insurance to cover the cost of repairs from accidents that are caused by both me and others.

If you can get the product manufacturer to INSURE your accidents then that would mean that property insurance is not needed. In order to think of this twist you must be an attorney.

When you cause an accident, what are you responsible for?

I have seen what appeared to be a major accident with relatively minor damage, and what appeared to be minor accidents, that caused major damage.

The one thing that is really important is that no one was injured.
IBA #43
2013 Vespa 300ie S GTS
2014 G650GS
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #115
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029

In summary what i believe i read was that YOU dropped your bike on the right side, and it tweaked the mounting frame for the bags. Am I to understand that you believe that YOUR accident should be the RESPONSIBILITY of Jesse Luggage?
Not at all. If you read earlier in the thread, a poster questioned whether the clearance between the right bag and the gas cap was so tight that even a minor drop would make it difficult to open the cap. I posted that I had learned the hard way that was, unfortunately, the case [pun alert].

As I also said, I've used Jesse Bags on 3 other bikes, and found them to be exceptionally solid and able to withstand abuse. That's not MY experience with the new mounting system on the F8. I'm hoping that Rick and/or Al will be able to help me fix whatever the problem is.

The bag did a great job of protecting the plastic/gas tank from damage. But, in my view, it's not good that a minor tip-over yields a situation where I have to remove a bag to fill the tank.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #116
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Quote:

I'll vouch for the ruggedness of Jesse's on an 1150, I've seen a friend's bike down on them with no ill effects.

Remember that the rack design has changed and the GS8 is a different animal than the 1100/1150/1200. Not every bike lends themselves to a ultra strong design without a lot of extra weight. I'm waiting to hear from inmates who've layed it over on the SW Motech racks. They look a little bendy to me. Hope I'm wrong
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #117
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,759
Blame?

The way I read it he is not blaming Jesse for his accident. He is just disspointed that a minor accident made it so that it affects getting gas in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029

That is an interesting twist. I thought that I purchased property insurance to cover the cost of repairs from accidents that are caused by both me and others.

If you can get the product manufacturer to INSURE your accidents then that would mean that property insurance is not needed. In order to think of this twist you must be an attorney.

When you cause an accident, what are you responsible for?

I have seen what appeared to be a major accident with relatively minor damage, and what appeared to be minor accidents, that caused major damage.

The one thing that is really important is that no one was injured.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #118
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
I've dropped and crashed my F8 on both sides in rock and boulders with the Jesse's on and there have been no problems with jamming the bags or mounts against the bike or gas cap.

The latest crash was Friday and hard enough that it bent the right side Adv-Spec crash bar into the engine side cover which cracked the cover. The Jesse system and Adv-Spec bars probably saved my foot and leg from serious injury.

Here's a link with photos, but none of the Jesse system since it only sustained cosmetic scratches:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457902

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure

RobStar screwed with this post 04-26-2009 at 10:23 PM
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #119
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStar
I've dropped and crashed my F8 on both sides in rock and boulders with the Jesse's on and there have been no problems with jamming the bags or mounts against the bike or gas cap.

The latest crash was Friday and hard enough that it bent the right side Adv-Spec crash bar into the engine side cover which cracked the cover. The Jesse system and Adv-Spec bars probably saved my foot and leg from serious injury.

Here's a link with photos, but none of the Jesse system since it only sustained cosmetic scratches:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414027

RobStar
Two things come to mind--you need to chill a bit before you kill yourself, and...that link is to the first page of this thread. Try again??
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #120
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Two things come to mind--you need to chill a bit before you kill yourself, and...that link is to the first page of this thread. Try again??
Agreed and corrected the link!

Thanks!

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote