ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
janner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Title transfers and notary's

A question for all you peeps who live in States that require a Notory to witness signatures between the seller and new owner of a motorcycle. I live in Nc and a notory is necessary to witness the Title transfer

What do you do if the buyer is out of State and wants the bike shipped and it means that the buyer and seller never meet. How do you handle the Title transfer and notary signature?????

I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem
janner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,421
Been there, done that. The notary is only there to witness a signature, so the answer's easy:
One notary for each signature.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,639
Are you certain the buyer has to have their signature notarized, and not just the seller?

I guess every state could be different, but Ohio requires the seller only - meaning the seller signs off in the presence of a notary, and sends you the "open" title with the bike, you fill it in upon receipt of it and off you go to the title dept...

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,909
I bought a bike from a guy in NC and didn't realize that a notary was needed being that I lived here in GA. When I took the title up to the tag office they informed me that because NC requires it that I needed to have it notarized. I took it to my wife and had her notarize it. Wasn't a big deal. Georgia doesn't require the titles to be notarized for their titles but being it was a NC title, they have to follow the rules.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth
I bought a bike from a guy in NC and didn't realize that a notary was needed being that I lived here in GA. When I took the title up to the tag office they informed me that because NC requires it that I needed to have it notarized. I took it to my wife and had her notarize it. Wasn't a big deal. Georgia doesn't require the titles to be notarized for their titles but being it was a NC title, they have to follow the rules.
Something told me when I saw this thread you'd be along with some professional advise sooner or later.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-B
Something told me when I saw this thread you'd be along with some professional advise sooner or later.

What?
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
NC sucks for tag stuff, bunch a nazis!

Find a local notary, ask them if they will notarize the title with your signature and print the new owners name and address on the title. Or you could do a limited POA.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah
Are you certain the buyer has to have their signature notarized, and not just the seller?
Absolutely, for Maryland. It's what they base your taxes on, within reason. The "reason" part is that they look values in references like the Bluebook when they can. If you have a notarized Bill of Sale for something extremely out of line ($500 for a newer vehicle, for example) they use the Bluebook value.

The limited Power of Attorney that somebody suggested will also work in Md.

But because these rules vary by State, you really need to call the motor vehicle (DMV/MVA) for the State where it's going to get registered.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:26 AM   #9
janner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Up date. Title can be notorized without buyer being present (NC).

I went to my local registration office yesterday. They notorized the fact that it was my signature as the seller with the buyers details filled in but buyers signature was not required.
janner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:44 AM   #10
Zrexrob
Fla Mountains...yep!

Oddometer: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlabs
NC sucks for tag stuff, bunch a nazis!
Beat me to it!!! You would think these backward hillbillys would care less. I bet some dam yankee moved here and changed it all.

Seven deadly sins Seven ways to win Seven holy paths to hell And your trip begins...
Zrexrob is offline   Reply With Quote