ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
Laconic OP
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen
Hey man. great write up of the last one.. You have set a standard so looking for another excellent write up and 'photo essay' as well. Any more "offroad" riding with the "Black Pearl"?

Here, met up with "Drummer" and we both only had about 2 hrs.. so headed up to Hurdle Mills, Roxboro, Semora, VIR, Milton, Yanceyville, down by the lake, then Hightowers and back to Hillsborough.

But also.. give us some HD insight and protocol. On 62 between Milton and Yanceyville came up behind an HD group, maybe 10 riders staggered out with lead and rear riders stationed. They were riding about 5 mph under the limit. what is the best thing to do there?

We followed them into Yanceyville and realized they were going to head down by Farmer Lake as well as we just went and got gas.
I don't know why some of these fools ride so slow, maybe they had some inexperienced riders in the group. I disagree that it's a "Harley Phenomenon". I've had to pass riders who weren't on HD's.

Do what we do when we get into the same situation; pass in a safe and courteous manner. There is no "Harley Protocol" that I'm aware of. I don't see the difference between that and someone's granny creeping along or a slow eighteen wheeler (if there is such a thing).

One thing I don't like is some squid blowing past me at 120, six inches from my mirror, with their "can" blasting.

We usually ride 5 to 10 over and don't normally have issues with anyone being held up. I'll usually pull over if we have an idiot tailgater anyway.

No pictures or report this time, just riding.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob

No pictures or report this time, just riding.
No pictures for us either Bob.

My note wasn't a slam to any group or brand. Just Sunday that was the general clustering of bikes, cruisers of the HD genre. It wasn't about that they are not possible to ride quick. The issue was we overtook a group riding slower than us for whatever reason. The tail guy was insistent we not merge into the group. There were no long passing sections to be able to pass the entire group. So is it customary group fashion to allow passing riders to merge into the lane with them when the passing area ends until the next passing opportunity? Do you force that issue or consider the group like one long snake and you pass it as a single entity? I know there isn't a set answer, just seeking opinions and what you also feel the most common view is from within a typical group of riders in these parts.

And Bob, where did the Black Pearl go Sunday?

Stephen
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #18
Laconic OP
Gaulded

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen
No pictures for us either Bob.

My note wasn't a slam to any group or brand. Just Sunday that was the general clustering of bikes, cruisers of the HD genre. It wasn't about that they are not possible to ride quick. The issue was we overtook a group riding slower than us for whatever reason. The tail guy was insistent we not merge into the group. There were no long passing sections to be able to pass the entire group. So is it customary group fashion to allow passing riders to merge into the lane with them when the passing area ends until the next passing opportunity? Do you force that issue or consider the group like one long snake and you pass it as a single entity? I know there isn't a set answer, just seeking opinions and what you also feel the most common view is from within a typical group of riders in these parts.

And Bob, where did the Black Pearl go Sunday?

Stephen
The Black Pearl sailed along the New River, from Rt. 100 along Lead Mine Rd. through Snowville and back down the other side of Indian Valley, about 260 miles total.

She sails for Key West with eight others on the 21st.

The folks I know don't merge with another group of bikes for many reasons. We don't pass until there's enough room for all of us to pass. I don't think we would be comfortable with strangers merging with our group either. I also keep a greater than normal following distance when I'm behind an unknown rider.

I used to get frustrated in those situations, but not so much any more (old age?). Unless you're responding to a fire, why not slow down and enjoy the view?

My two cents, FWIW.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
Laconic OP
Gaulded

Wade's Gap

Just a Sunday cruise.