Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Oddometer: 769
Question Two Meals - True Terror (An Alaskan Ironbutt Odyssey): Liking Biking

The Plan

Elaborating on an idea that inexplicably popped into my head just this morning, I’ve decided – reflecting a propensity on this trip to typically obtain our daily nutritional requirements consuming an uninspiring combination of 'oh-dark-thirty' gas station breakfast fare, plus whatever evening sustenance happened to be convenient; coupled with the incessantly nerve wracking effort required just to remain awake traversing the endless mileage of the Canadian plains – that I shall call this report: 2 Meals – True Terror, and I will conduct the written effort under the guise of my nom-de-plume: Liking Biking. However, unlike my possibly more famous counterpart, I will not cut to the chase with a riveting factually based account of the exciting series of events as they unfolded; but rather, attempt to disguise the comparably tawdry nature of this particular story with an extensive litany of literary embellishment. For those of you aware of such things, a brief, potentially familiar biography of Liking Biking will follow shortly.

Recently having finished my epic South Africa report - if you haven't yet had the considerable pleasure, go to:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446291 - and enjoying the writing experience so much, I thought I'd like to do another. One problem though: no trips upcoming in the near future. So, I thought to myself: 'Phil,' I thought, 'Why not do a write up of my 2006 Arctic Circle odyssey?' Why not? well there's a crap load of AK reports out there already, that's why not - and probably done a lot better than my pathetic attempt is likely to be too. So, to give it a bit of a (hopefully) novel angle, how about this:

The trip itself was 14 days, 12,000 miles, Atlanta-Alaska and back of Ironbutt hell, but what if we'd taken 6 months instead of two weeks? What would we have seen and done differently? This is where I imagine getting some outside help. I post the day's trip report: you FF's chime in with all the best crap that we missed (pics write-ups, you name it), and at the end of the report I conclude either (a) that I'll never even consider another of these two wheeled exercises in masochism again or (b) the rest of you need to quit hanging around so much, or maybe even possibly (c) I need to quit hanging around so much

Feedback? Any interest, or am I going straight to JM in a futile attempt to defend my manhood.

Hugs and kisses,

Douf

My Route - All the way from good old Jawjaw

While my Partners in crime came from further up the east coast (MA & RI)

Douf screwed with this post 05-01-2009 at 04:03 PM Reason: Added Maps
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote