Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
rwood64083 OP
Zip Zip Boom

Oddometer: 3
Needing Assistance

I am new to ADV Rider. Good site!

I have located a motorcycle I am interested in purchasing from a gentleman in Sleman. I have never purchased from overseas. I'm a bit nervous so I'm trying to do my homework.

I've heard people chat about motorcycle scams. Is there a way to protect myself and my money? I wished the motorcycle was in the U.S. so I could travel and view it. I have sent an email to Indo Java Cargo requesting shipping information.

Are there any ADV Riders in the Yogyakarta region interested in looking at the motorcycle for me? Not sure what it's worth to have inspection done, but I would pay for assurance.

Has anyone encountered a motorcycle purchase from the Indonesian Islands?

Thank you for any assistance,
R
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming…

”WOW, WHAT A RIDE!”
rwood64083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwood64083

I have located a motorcycle I am interested in purchasing from a gentleman in Sleman. I have never purchased from overseas. I'm a bit nervous so I'm trying to do my homework.

I've heard people chat about motorcycle scams. Is there a way to protect myself and my money? I wished the motorcycle was in the U.S. so I could travel and view it. I have sent an email to Indo Java Cargo requesting shipping information.

Are there any ADV Riders in the Yogyakarta region interested in looking at the motorcycle for me? Not sure what it's worth to have inspection done, but I would pay for assurance.

R

Welcome aboard. I wouldn't be too interested in buying a bike from overseas that i have not seen. There are hidden costs involved and then the bike may not be what you wanted.

BTW, what bike is it?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
rwood64083 OP
Zip Zip Boom

Oddometer: 3
Wink Still trying to figure it out...

Thank you for your reply Chanderjeet. The bike is a 1953 BMW R25. Looks to be in pretty good shape and for a good price. I've been watching them online. Not too many people selling them here in the states. I'd prefer to find one with a side-car I can restore.

I sent an email to the seller stating I could not purchase the motorcycle because I had no way of protecting myself and my money. Also I would have no way of knowing if it was the actual bike, if the bike was damaged or not receiving the bike at all. After two days he responded offering the bike to me with the terms... he would first send me the paperwork (title/certificate of bike) on the BMW and also send me his passport for proof of who he is. Then he requests a less than half the purchase price sent to him. Then he will send me shipping information and bill of lading. Once I would receive motorcycle he requests remainder of payment and return of his passport. He says he will be using Indo Java Cargo for transport. I sent an email to indojavacargo.com asking for shipping info and costs between Sleman, Yogyakarta and Nashville Tennessee U.S. I haven't received a reply. He wanted payments made via bank transfer or Western Union. Western Union charges way too much for wire transfer of money. I spoke with a representative from Pay-Pal. They said the best way to make transaction was to have the bike listed on Ebay with a "buy it now" price and then send money via Pay-Pal. This way I was cover by Pay-Pal and Ebay both. I was also told if was a fraudulent act (from that region) that it would take months to settle and have my money returned.

I was thinking of requesting a picture or video of him next to the R25 so I could verify his passport photo... that is if I choose to move forward on the purchase.

I've been burnt before and like all of us that make large purchases, I just don't want to get

If I don't end up with R25 (which it's looking like I won't) my search will continue. I'm in no hurry. I own other motorcycles and enjoy every one of them. Wished I could find one here in the states for a 2500.00 price.

Thanks for your assistance,
~R

BTW... I purchased another motorcycle for my collection two days ago. Pretty excited about it. I'll post pictures soon.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming…

”WOW, WHAT A RIDE!”
rwood64083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,732
Why don't you get in touch with some of our vintage bike collectors here. How about asking it in Old Skool forum.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:

R
You'll heve better luck finding someone to represent you in the sale on the hubb, so I'd try over there. Don't forget to try the communities, if there is one over there. Also, Oz is very close to Indonesia, so I'd Ozzie forum.

Don't send all the cash, until you are satified you are getting what you think.

Good Luck
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
h17
Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer: 747
Hello rwood64083,

I have some friends in yogyakarta, and yes there are one ADV Rider in Yogya
his name is erwe

you could message him, or if you could give me the address of the seller so we could check it out for you.

http://haryowidodo.com
h17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
erwe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:

R
Well i'm in Sleman Yogyakarta too! I can help you.. Just tell me what can i do, or i can pay a visit to your future bike.. BMW R25 is rare bike, but you can find it pretty easy in indonesia. And there also BSA or Norton 350..

Just for information, R25 that fully restored the price went sky high from USD3000 to USD4000... i hope you get a good bargain..

If you need my help you can contact me on rahadi.wibowo@gmail.com, or my Yahoo messenger rahadi_wibowo@yahoo.com
or give me a ring +6285226526166 but spare my poor english..

I had a friend kind of expert in classic bike, i will ask him also to accompany me taking look at yor bike..
erwe is offline   Reply With Quote