ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
danarone OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
950 Carb Venting

I'm in the ptocess of doing a canisterectomy, and I am curious about carb venting. I got all the info from HOW and various posts and thanks all of you for such great information.

As for venting the consensus is to use two separate lines from the bowl to the outside of ther airbox and terminate them in the V between the cylinders.

My question is, is there anything wrong with keeping the factory Y setup that ties the two vent lines together inside the airbox, and terminate the outlet tube from the Y in the V between the cylinders?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by danarone
I'm in the ptocess of doing a canisterectomy, and I am curious about carb venting. I got all the info from HOW and various posts and thanks all of you for such great information.

As for venting the consensus is to use two separate lines from the bowl to the outside of ther airbox and terminate them in the V between the cylinders.

My question is, is there anything wrong with keeping the factory Y setup that ties the two vent lines together inside the airbox, and terminate the outlet tube from the Y in the V between the cylinders?
That works fine. Mine's been like that for 6k miles without any issues.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
thugdog
Druid Revisionist

Oddometer: 396
The "Search" feature is your friend, for example:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447523

....there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution
thugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
I did exactly that and got a little bit of surge at cruising speeds. I redid it following the HOW and was happy with the results. To each his own though.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
danarone OP
Adventurer

Carb Venting...Anyone tried this approach?

I'm thinking of using a short tubes from bowl vent to elbows in the side of the airbox under the filter area. These "snorkels" would be away from water and out of the wind, and easy to diconnect/re-connect for maintenance.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
volrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Any thoughts?
One way to find out
volrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
SteveAS
Crank

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
I'm thinking of using a short tubes from bowl vent to elbows in the side of the airbox under the filter area. These "snorkels" would be away from water and out of the wind, and easy to diconnect/re-connect for maintenance.

Any thoughts?
I don't see any advantage over the usual, KTM-designed solution of 10" and 11" vent tubes terminating in the V of the engine. I've not heard of anyone having problems with water or wind with that configuration and it's even easier to deal with for maintenance than what your propose.
SteveAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,537
the 10/11" solution works, and works very well, especially if you are running a prefilter. correct bowl venting is critical for that last little tweak when it comes to these sensitive carbs.

as far as your idea of sending the vents out the side, that might work OK so long as there is not a loop that would trap liquid fuel in it and not allow it to drain back into either the carb or out to the ground.

same goes for the tank vents. if there is a low spot for liquid to accumulate and lay in, thus not allowing full/free venting you will experience problems.

directly from my experience with quite a few 950s, I have suggested and helped resolve several bikes with a slight surge problem by changing the vents from the Y to the singles.

ya, I got 2.5 hours of sleep last night so.... not sure if I can make that clearer....
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
danarone OP
Adventurer

Seems weird to be talking about carb vents

Thanks all for the input. It seems like the options are a Y with 1" sticking down under the airbox, or 10" and 11" separate lines. I'll fiddle with those options and keep it simple.

Worth noting...my bike already has a very slight surge/hesitation, and I haven't changed anything yet. I'm hoping the canisterectomy will eliminate this issue. I'll let you know.

Now, I do have another question...

Anyone know what the vacuum line that goes to the SAS valve does? I'm assuming it opens the SAS valve at certain RPM's and introduced fresh air to the exhaust. I want to keep SAS to avoid Cat problems.

Should I start a new thread for this?

Old 04-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
I want to keep SAS to avoid Cat problems.

Get rid of the Cats, they're very heavy and do nothing but turn the bike into a garage furnace.

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Old 04-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #11
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
My experiences on SAS and cats ...

1 - Removing the SAS will not cause the cats to "clog up". I ran with no SAS for 10,000 miles, then I cut the cats out of my pipes, they were clean as a whistle no evidence of clogging. Of course they may have been rendered inoperative in some way, but who cares?

2 - Removing the cats from the standard pipes does not make them run appreciably cooler. As noted above I cut the cat out of my pipe (I'm using a single silencer with a 2-1 pipe) and it's still frigging hot. It may be slightly less frigging hot than when the cat was in there but to be honest, if your skin is searing off you don't care about a few degrees either way :)

The standard cans get so hot mainly because of their construction - thick double skin steel which holds the heat, and a convuluted gas path that allows more heat to transfer into the metal. All the aftermarket cooler alternatives are made from thin aluminium or titanium which don't hold the heat nearly as much.