User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #3661
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
HF & KB to the INT

Off we go....into the Wild Blue Yonder (er uh green, yellow, & red).

Looks like its going to be the Clash of the Titans in SE Okieland.

I ain't skeeered! I don't need no stinking trailer!!

HF
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #3662
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWolf
Yeah, but....but...it's sooo much fun when you and friends can rooster each other. Hell, I'll even get off the bike and start hucking it.
That was our version of a snowball fight when I was younger.

Sometimes friends would bring ATCs out to the camp (we rode mx bikes) and after a lot of roosting each other we would end up just stacking mud on the rear fenders, riding towards each other and tossing hunks of mud as we passed. If you could knock someone off their ATC with the hunk of mud, you got bonus points.
Mud jousting I guess.

Good times.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #3663
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
HF - Waiting on Krabill......

Where is Krabill? He's an hour late!

15 more minutes....and I leave without him.

Maybe he looked at radar and chickened out

HF
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #3664
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
GYTR vs FMF Q4

Anyone have a comment on the FMF Q4 versus the Yamaha GYTR slip on exhaust pipe?

On the GYTR it looks like you use the stock head pipe with the EXUP valve still hooked up. Is the FMF Power Bomb a better way to go over the stock head pipe with EXUP? Any draw backs to either one?

Thank you,

Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #3665
vwsandman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader
Anyone have a comment on the FMF Q4 versus the Yamaha GYTR slip on exhaust pipe?

On the GYTR it looks like you use the stock head pipe with the EXUP valve still hooked up. Is the FMF Power Bomb a better way to go over the stock head pipe with EXUP? Any draw backs to either one?

Thank you,

Greg
There is no slip on made GYTR or otherwise that use the EXUP, this is part of the OEM muffler assembly and is removed with it when a slip on is installed. You have a few choices about what to do with the EXUP servo motor and cables:

1) You can remove the cables from the Servo (and the EXUP of course as it is going with the old muffler)
2) You can remove the cables and the Servo, but to do this you will either need to build a circuit to trick the computer that the Servo is still in place or buy the plug in servo substitute from Steveakus on his new web site here:
http://www.servosub.com/
You get rid of all the weight and complexity by removing the whole thing. On this bike it is more for noise and emissions than anything, hence the item being in the muffler and not the headpipe like other Yamaha's (R1 and FZ1)

FWIW, I have the GYTR (look a few posts back for my review) and think it is a great pipe, I also like the fact you can re-use the heat shield which will keep it from getting scratched up in case you tip over...

Hope that clears this up for you.
vwsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:21 AM   #3666
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Have you compared the sound of the GYTR to the Q4? I like the stock look of the Yamaha GYTR pipe and it's only about $30.00 more on Ebay.

Could you tell any "real" performance difference from the stock pipe? I wonder if a programmer would help the GYTR pipe or just keep the stock one....

Thank you,

Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
Old 04-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #3667
vwsandman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
I have no direct comparison for the FMF to the GYTR....I posted up sound sound measurments to give some idea of the difference...I am thinking about getting a DB Dawg if it is over the 94db for DS rides...

A fuel tuner is a wise investment for this bike....even more so when you un-cork it.
vwsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #3668
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,237
Rotopax Fuel Rack

Well, here's the Rotopax rack I've been working on. I was being held hostage by American Airlines all day yesterday, so Mrs. Biguns was nice enough to go pick it up for me. When I finally made it home last night at about 11P I find that they bent one of the mounts wrong.

And to top things off... the FMF pipe, header, and programmer that I ordered last week didn't come either.

So, I can't show what it looks like with the Rotopax tank mounted. But, overall it looks pretty good. Nice and sturdy, and I think it will work well. I'm going to try to get them to rush the next the corrections.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #3669
mick
speedtrippy

Oddometer: 3,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
Well, here's the Rotopax rack I've been working on. I was being held hostage by American Airlines all day yesterday, so Mrs. Biguns was nice enough to go pick it up for me. When I finally made it home last night at about 11P I find that they bent one of the mounts wrong.

And to top things off... the FMF pipe, header, and programmer that I ordered last week didn't come either.

So, I can't show what it looks like with the Rotopax tank mounted. But, overall it looks pretty good. Nice and sturdy, and I think it will work well. I'm going to try to get them to rush the next the corrections.

Daaaamn!!!!
That is the slickest rack I can remember seeing. I like the flat design. do you realize that makes all other racks look very outdated?

"People don't understand what I'm doing. But it's not for the lack of me telling them about it".
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #3670
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Quote:

Very nice John! I'm also enjoying the tail rack (best one going in my opinion) I bought from you. Another great design!

Take care,

Alaska Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
Old 04-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #3671
Iceveign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
looks good, that top left edge isn't gonna bite ya in the leg or but is it? Maybe not an issue with bags on it, but it looks kinda close.
Iceveign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #3672
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Daaaamn!!!!
That is the slickest rack I can remember seeing. I like the flat design. do you realize that makes all other racks look very outdated?
Thanks. I think I'm probably going to leave it raw aluminum. It will be more utilitarian than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader
Very nice John! I'm also enjoying the tail rack (best one going in my opinion) I bought from you. Another great design!

Take care,

Alaska Greg
Greg,

Thanks. Rub the whole thing down lightly with 000 steel wool to knock the gloss shine off of it. That way it looks good even after riding in the dirt and straps wear the gloss over-coat down to a matte finish in just a few places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveign
looks good, that top left edge isn't gonna bite ya in the leg or but is it? Maybe not an issue with bags on it, but it looks kinda close.
With the Rotopax in place, it is actually down behind the can and the back of your thigh is safe. The Rotopax will sit just about in the same place as Dirtbagz do on that side. They look like they sit just under your left butt-cheek.
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #3673
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 812
John,

Can you run this with the Dirt Bagz over it?

If so, will you take a pic with that in place?

Are you gonna sell these?

-Pax

Quote:
Well, here's the Rotopax rack I've been working on.

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #3674
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax
Can you run this with the Dirt Bagz over it?
Yes, that's sort of the root of his idea... here's a pic he posted of an earlier mock-up when he was laying out the rack (prior to actual fabrication but gives you the picture you're looking for).
This pic is with a 2-gallon Rotopax can.

Quote:
...so Mrs. Biguns was nice enough to go pick it up for me.
That wouldn't happen to be the same Mrs. Biguns in your avitar would it?
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:37 AM   #3675
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:

Mmmm.. Very nice. Only one problem. Aluminum doesn't flex very well. It tends to crack and fatigue when flexing so you might find that it will shear at the mounting points.

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote