Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #46
xjon
Pedantic Bastard

Oddometer: 387
Regarding the low pressure airbag...I turn my engine off immediately after a tip fearing the oil might not be in the sump to get pumped. For jeeps would be fine but I wouldnt pump the bag with the exhaust of the bike.

Also the beachball would be great and disposable but dont know if that could take the heat either. Especially the heat from the exhaust pipes which it would be almost touching. It will need to be heavy duty enough to withstand the heat and punctures. Which inturn causes it to be heavy, bulky, more expensive, and less disposable.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #47
justJeff
Banned

Oddometer: 2,667
Great idea, and way beyond cool that you took the time to post the pictorial of the jack in action.

Does anyone recall Beemings set-up? He had some up with a come-a-long type setup and some type of anchor to screw in to fasten it to. He had fabricated a mount that went behind the license plate area. I've carried a screw-in ground anchor before, along with ratchet straps, but never had to use them.

The ingenuity and talent that is so often displayed in this forum is pretty amazing.
justJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #48
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob
Mods - I'd like to see this in GSpot at least for a while as I think the GS/GSA's are about the only dual sports heavy enough to need one of these.
travelling on dirt in back country by myself. This jack cures this problem. For that, its a cheap $150 or so.
nice item, that could come in handy on more than just a GSA as well, I have myself been in a bad spot where I could not get my bike back up on my own

Tom
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #49
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
found this

http://www.womenridersnow.com/Public...ArticleID=1095

will take some thinking on how to use this in soft stuff though.

I might just try a pipe with a foot and a top hook for a ratchet strap and see how that works.
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #50
ubergeek71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo
found this

http://www.womenridersnow.com/Public...ArticleID=1095

will take some thinking on how to use this in soft stuff though.

I might just try a pipe with a foot and a top hook for a ratchet strap and see how that works.
I now my GS has a lot higher ground clearance than my neighbors full dress harley. I'm thinking that thing isn't going to be tall enough to help much. Could be wrong though.

PICS
SPOT
ubergeek71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #51
tariadamar
mud lover

Oddometer: 77
i love my 250 even when fully loaded it may push 200kg at the most.
tariadamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #52
dfhepner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
This is a great idea. I called Frank at 1-888-766-9116 and arranged to get a unit. I am sending a check tonight and he will ship one to me as soon as he gets the check.

I have been trying to figure out a way to have something with me to get a downed GS up. I was thinking of the old styled bumper jack but could not find any around.
dfhepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #53
dfhepner
Gnarly Adventurer

Just a reminder. Before you start to pick up the bike, deploy the side stand. If you can then you are on the correct side of the bike.
From experience, it is hard to hold up the bike while bending over the seat to deploy the side stand or hold it up and walk around the the correct side.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #54
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 544
Sno-Buddy

As am owner and user of one of these jacks, I can vouch for its usefulness and construction.

Pulled into a grassy camping area in Colorado last summer, put down the side stand and shut off the bike. As I leaned it, it just kept going, and going, over. There was a hole in the ground covered with grass. Not only was the 1150GS on its side, but the sidestand was wedged in a hole. No one was around to help me free/lift the GS.

Unfolded the sno-buddy jack for the first time, rigged it up, and after several tries, uprighted the bike enough so I could push it forward so the sidestand was on solid ground. This was after I unloaded the camping gear.

One caveat, place a jacket or heavy cloth between the jack and the tank so as to not scratch the paint.

There be other solutions out there, but the sno-buddy proved itself to me.

Now the jack goes with me on all solo trips, just like the camelback and the tire tools.
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #55
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,471
What is the cost for one of these jacks?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #56
GSpot1200
Animal

Oddometer: 154
i am a skinny ddue and picked my gsa off the ground with my bare hands...chuck norris style
GSpot1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #57
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 544
GS Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw
What is the cost for one of these jacks?
I paid $125 plus $10 for shipping a year and a half ago. Without the snow shovel and one extra section.

Ride safe Brother
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #58
dfhepner
Gnarly Adventurer

Frank told me $125 + $10 shipping Yesterday and I mailed the check today. My guess is that the shipping will depend on your location.

From the start of the thread I guess that I will need to make an extension and foot for the jack. I will post more when I get one.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #59
SocalRob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfhepner
Frank told me $125 + $10 shipping Yesterday and I mailed the check today. My guess is that the shipping will depend on your location.

From the start of the thread I guess that I will need to make an extension and foot for the jack. I will post more when I get one.
The extension & foot are not really required, I just happened to be in a welder's shop and had him fab it up for a few bucks. If you were in real soft ground you might have to scroung around for something to put under the jack.

Since I got the jack a few years ago I have still managed to pick the bike up every time without it, but its nice knowing if I tweak a shoulder or leg in a crash while out solo, I still stand a good chance of riding out.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #60
dfhepner
Gnarly Adventurer

It is better to be smart and use leverage to pick up a bike instead of damaging your back or some thing else trying to show off. I like to think that BMW riders are smarter and use every advantage.