Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #61
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 592
Maybe this is 205 but... Rossi has taken the dangling leg thing to a new level. Is he on the verge of cracking open the latest handling nuance since countersteering? I can see wee DannyP fighting to keep his foot on the peg while braking from 190mph but The Doctor? Insight, anyone.

Maybe Rossi is really itching to ride some dirttrack. Will he be at the Indy Mile this year? NVTS
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:46 AM   #62
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTS
Maybe this is 205 but... Rossi has taken the dangling leg thing to a new level. Is he on the verge of cracking open the latest handling nuance since countersteering? I can see wee DannyP fighting to keep his foot on the peg while braking from 190mph but The Doctor? Insight, anyone.
All the kewl 250 kids do this, to some extent or another, claiming that it helps with turn-in, especially on lefts. Rossi started the practice and seems to have brought it to a new level this year. If he drops the foot down any lower he's going to need a Maely shoe pretty soon.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:49 AM   #63
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
Casey speaks Italian?
Casey came up from 250's with LCR (Lucio Cecchinello Racing), which is about as Italian as it gets.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #64
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
foot dangly thing

I have never experienced Moto GP brakes, or even SBK level brake. Good supersport brakes are about the best I have tried. When you have super grippy, machined from billit foot pegs, you can't simply slide your foot around on them. So, when going from rear brake or shifting, to tipping into the corner, you must lift your foot off the peg to move it back into position so your toes don't drag in the corner. However, when you are hauling it down from 190 or so on the brakes, the centrifical forces pull your leg forward until you begin to ease off the brake. This is the phenominon we are witnessing. Rossi does it in a super exagerated form. In my experience, you can either waste energy fighting the centrifcal force, or you can let it dangle and conserve energy.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #65
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya
I have never experienced Moto GP brakes, or even SBK level brake. Good supersport brakes are about the best I have tried. When you have super grippy, machined from billit foot pegs, you can't simply slide your foot around on them. So, when going from rear brake or shifting, to tipping into the corner, you must lift your foot off the peg to move it back into position so your toes don't drag in the corner. However, when you are hauling it down from 190 or so on the brakes, the centrifical forces pull your leg forward until you begin to ease off the brake. This is the phenominon we are witnessing. Rossi does it in a super exagerated form. In my experience, you can either waste energy fighting the centrifcal force, or you can let it dangle and conserve energy.
Or maybe he's using his foot for ballast to keep the rear tire on the ground.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #66
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
Whats with Edwards??? bike problem/?
The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 team remained tight lipped as to cause of the Texan's difficulties, rumoured to be electronic related, but Edwards - who had slumped to last by the end of lap two, kept his composure and eventually regained pace.

“I'd like to thank Colin for his efforts today in difficult circumstances,” said team manager Herve Poncharal. “He had a problem before the start and we are still investigating the cause with Yamaha. But his pace in the second half of the race was very impressive, so we know that Colin is in very good form heading into Europe.”
azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #67
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi
The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 team remained tight lipped as to cause of the Texan's difficulties, rumoured to be electronic related, but Edwards - who had slumped to last by the end of lap two, kept his composure and eventually regained pace.

“I'd like to thank Colin for his efforts today in difficult circumstances,” said team manager Herve Poncharal. “He had a problem before the start and we are still investigating the cause with Yamaha. But his pace in the second half of the race was very impressive, so we know that Colin is in very good form heading into Europe.”
According to Michael Scott in this week's GPWeek (available from http://www.gpweek.com), Edwards' bike switched itself to a wet setting, leaving him horribly underpowered.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #68
jeiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
Or maybe he's using his foot for ballast to keep the rear tire on the ground.
Interesting concept. If true, I would expect more "Doohan-style" thumb-actuated rear brakes in the future to allow both feet to get into the act. Of course, that will move this from Slightly Silly to Very Silly looking status in short order.
jeiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #69
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin
According to Michael Scott in this week's GPWeek (available from http://www.gpweek.com), Edwards' bike switched itself to a wet setting, leaving him horribly underpowered.
That sounds like the kind of sabotage that, say, a crew chief could pull off.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #70
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Interestingly; Toseland finished 9th but only set the 15th fastest race lap - Edwards finished 12th but ran the 5th fastest race lap, so we can see who had the best setup.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #71
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike
Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #72
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya
From a Casey Stoner interview in Soup:

Q ... I noticed last year when you were running it in really hard on left-handers, your left foot would go light on the peg once in a while.

A Yeah, but Valentino does the same thing, and so does Dani, and they've got almost no dirt-track background or experience.

Q Is it a comfort thing?

A No, all it is is leverage, really. As you go on the brakes, before - you go back your gears, and then just before you put your foot back on the footpeg, it's sort of a leverage, to sort of help it tip in, I suppose. But there's nothing you can really explain of why we do it. It's just it's a natural thing, the way we ride. But it's not any particular reason. It's definitely not coming from dirt- track.

My theory is that they saw Rossi doing it so they all had to try it.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #73
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin
Don't sugar-coat it, Colin
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #74
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
Rossi's flying foot

For several decades, American dirtrackers all looked behind the same way: They would leave their left hand on the bar and tuck their head under their left armpit to check on who was back there.

Over time, all sorts of theories were produced, most of them having to do with improved aerodynamics from keeping your head down.

But people kept asking why they did it, and eventually a pattern developed:

Chris Carr: "I saw Scotty Parker ride that way"...

...Scott Parker: "I learned it from Springer"...

...then Springer admitted: "Mert Lawill showed me that"...

...at which point Mert admitted "I got that from Bart Markel"

..eventually Black Bart said he learned it from Carroll Resweber, who said he learned it from another Texas Racer, who...when they finally tracked him down... revealed The Secret:

"Hell, boy, I was blind in my left eye...that was the only way I could see behind me"

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #75
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101N
He was interviewed on motogp.com. He said he's ok just pissed. Wishes he hadn't been T-boned so that he could have had some more time on the bike. Also mentioned that communication with his team is still difficult due- evidently - to the language barrier.
Stoner speaks Italian ..

Maybe Nick should stay out of the fast lane traffic for a while.